Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Budget thread got me curious

How much did you spend (or do you think you'll spend) on your wedding?

(I wanted my poll to have more choices but if I click on "add more answers" the button to post disappears....anyone else have this issue?)
226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
July 10, 2010
imageimage
Planning Bio

Re: Budget thread got me curious

• Options
    Our budget is $15K not including honeymoon, but right now we are under significantly and that makes me happy!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Our budget was right at $5000 - not including rings and honeymoon.  If you add those in together we spent $10k.
  • Options

I think with EVERYTHING, honeymoon and rings, dress, alterations, makeup, etc. it was just under $18k.  Without the honeymoon, it was about $14k.

We invited 175 ppl and only 112 came.

• Options
    I have absolutely no idea what our wedding cost.

Is this with or without rings?
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    We budgeted $14K before the honeymoon, and only spent about $11K. That's what a 65% decline rate will do to you. We way overbudgeted on catering.
  • Options
    I guess with rings?  For me I count everything but my honeymoon and dress, because I didn't pay for those things....
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Our budget was originally $5000, but it ended up being just under $7000 total.  DH and I thought we were going to have to pay for all of it, but each set of parents ended up chipping in about 1/3 of the cost, so we spent less than $3000 of our own money.
  • Options
    We put 6k in our wedding account, and so far that's holding.  We would be willing, if necessary, to pony up another 1k.  140 people are on our guest list.
  • Options
    With rings and honeymoon, we will be right at about $8500.
  • Options

I budgeted for 10K. I'm pretty much right on target right now. I'm making my final payments next week and then the only thing I'll owe in may is the bar tab. We are having roughly between 100-125 people.

• Options
    We stayed under $6K for 120 people, not including my dress and we didn't take a honeymoon because of DH's work schedule.
  • Options
    We spent about $10k, including rings and HM.  We invited about 100 guests and roughly 75 showed.
    kd.joseph's wish is my command
    Just call me "Brothel"
    And betrothed, I'm disgusted with most of the comments that you have posted. I don't think I've ever read such judgmental comments in my life. I'm so lucky that the girls I speak to on theknot are nothing like you...I would've never come on here for ADVICE if I would've encountered a big a bitch as you. I genuinely feel awful for your children or your future children, and I think it would be irresponsible of YOU not to invest in their future therapy sessions starting now. Because trust me when I tell you honey, they're gonna need it. ~jcaruncho2010
    my read shelf:
    Betrothed 123's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_budget-thread-got-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:72888a4c-c7c3-4f34-9f25-e47c82749a58Post:fea0bc92-e909-4346-a194-d471f8c49285">Re: Budget thread got me curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have absolutely no idea what our wedding cost.

Is this with or without rings?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty much the same.  I know what we paid for, but the big stuff like most of  the reception (minus flowers and photograpy) was paid for by my parents.  I know some of the figures they paid, but not the overall cost.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    As some one said in the budget thread, it is kind of tough to remember all the little things you paid for along the way (shoes, hair, rd dress etc) but I definitely know how much the big things cost.
    It is interesting the upper end  of your poll is 50k plus. The average wedding in MA is around 40k due to cost of living (and, I suspect, expectations), so a lot of people are going to be over that if you asked on certain locals.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_budget-thread-got-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:72888a4c-c7c3-4f34-9f25-e47c82749a58Post:c88569c6-0911-4cfb-8282-2db7cb83ec08">Re: Budget thread got me curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]is interesting the upper end  of your poll is 50k plus. The average wedding in MA is around 40k due to cost of living (and, I suspect, expectations), so a lot of people are going to be over that if you asked on certain locals.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Oh I know....Im FROM NY but living in DC...and I cannot BELIEVE how so many of you did your weddings under 10K.  It is just ridiculous to me!  But I feel the same way when I watch House Hunters and see the mansions you can get for less than half of what my house cost! :)
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    Also Meaghan, I really wanted more options, but like I said, knot wouldnt let me :(
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_budget-thread-got-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:72888a4c-c7c3-4f34-9f25-e47c82749a58Post:88ff3b10-adb5-41b6-98f3-03b3210453aa">Re: Budget thread got me curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budget thread got me curious : Oh I know....Im FROM NY but living in DC...and I cannot BELIEVE how so many of you did your weddings under 10K.  It is just ridiculous to me!  But I feel the same way when I watch House Hunters and see the mansions you can get for less than half of what my house cost! :)
    Posted by Lyss5782[/QUOTE]

oh god I know! My friend lives in Alambama and she is getting ready to buy an absolute palace for 110k. That wouldn't even get you a condo in the Boston/NYC area.
    That's why this board can be tough some times when discussing wedding priorities and costs. It varies so much.
  • Options
    Our original budget was 15k, but it has been adjusted to around 18k, not including rings and honeymoon. We're expecting around 75 people.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_budget-thread-got-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:72888a4c-c7c3-4f34-9f25-e47c82749a58Post:462e0fd7-124b-4e5f-9a49-83e303945f24">Re: Budget thread got me curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Budget thread got me curious : oh god I know! My friend lives in Alambama and she is getting ready to buy an absolute palace for 110k. That wouldn't even get you a condo in the Boston/NYC area. That's why this board can be tough some times when discussing wedding priorities and costs. It varies so much.
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

Ughhh THIS.  Is why we want to move to Texas.  I was browsing some homes for sale the other day and found some BEAUTIFUL ones for under 200K.  In the area we'd want to settle if we stayed here, a "nice" house is easily $900,000+ and that just makes me want to spit.
  • Options

Kate I live in a suburb of Dallas.  When I watch those home shows, I can't believe what houses cost other places.  I always wonder if the salaries other places match the cost of living--I can't see how it's possible.

Weddings in Dallas, however, are another story.

• Options
    Stephie, sadly, they often don't.  I am lucky to be employed by the federal govt, which recognizes the challenges (hopefully) as best it can, but it is still crazy how much things cost.
  • Options
    Wedding and reception = $5k.

Add in our mini-moon, and we're looking at $6.5k.
  • Options
    Kate I live in Garland--about 20 minutes southeast of Dallas.  Burleson is closer to Fort Worth actually.
  • Options
    we spent somewhere between $5k and $6k, including wedding rings and honeymoon.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_budget-thread-got-curious?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:72888a4c-c7c3-4f34-9f25-e47c82749a58Post:683c1742-086d-47cf-9781-0cb5491ef7f9">Re: Budget thread got me curious</a>:
    [QUOTE]Kate I live in Garland--about 20 minutes southeast of Dallas.  Burleson is closer to Fort Worth actually.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

Okay, cool.  Yeah I'm not sure where we'll look in particular.  FI grew up right in Fort Worth but I have no idea if we'd search right in that area or not. 
  • Options
    I'm one of those crazy people with the Excel spreadsheet with 15 different pages and all that jazz. I know where every cent of everything is going, where it's coming from, and when. OCD much? Yep.

Right now, my parents are contributing $12k, FI and I are contributing $5k (honeymoon, rings, photobooth, paper), FILs are contributing about $5k (RD, flights to honeymoon, 1/2 of the bar tab, shuttle for night of reception, WP hotel rooms).
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Our wedding budget is 20k not including honeymoon, rings or bp gifts, we are estimating to go over that by 2-3k when all is said and done.  FIL's are giving us 10k which will go toward the cost of food, my parents are giving us approx 10-12k which will go toward food and other day of expenses, we are paying approx 10-12k for honeymoon, rings and gifts.  In total we are looking at 32-34k :-( and that's with a lot of budgeting, I live in NY though.

• Options
    Mine is high but we have alot of people coming because we have huge families.  I wish it wasnt gonna cost what it does, but c'est la vie.

My ring was also alot, im not sure of the price, but jewlery stores have given me an idea just by looking at it.  I dont think I want to know.  But if I factor that in and his plus the honeymoon, I dont think I want to know what the total is going to be.....

I admire people who can do weddings for under 20K.  Im not that creative.  Some of the best weddings I went to were done for less than 15K.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    Including rings but not honeymoon, we're currently looking at 21k.  Including honeymoon, we're at 26k.  That's for 140 people.

That's including a sh*t ton of stuff we really don't need like valet, photobooth, ceiling decoration, a limo bus, etc.  But both of our families have been waiting on this marriage for a long time so they kept doing the "I'll pay for it but you HAVE to have "insert here".  So out of our own pocket, I think we'll be spending about 17k.

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards