Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Steampunk wedding?

Some of you guys might remember that FI and I have been having a big argument over whether or not he should wear tails to the wedding. He's all about it, I think it's too much, etc. Last night he went into some of the reasons that he's not into men's formalwear, and I can get behind some of them: basically, it comes down to the fact that men's suits that are widely available these days tend to be cut for people who have a much stockier frame than FI, and at 6'3' and 165 pounds, he's looking for something more elegant. Okay.

We were already talking about having elements of our wedding themed toward the 1890s, and I'm starting to think that maybe him wearing a tailcoat would be okay if we think about it as him wearing period clothing, i.e. the tuxedo jacket as we know it was not invented in the 1890s, and all men wore tailcoats.

Also, we've both been kind of fascinated lately by the idea of steampunk, or combining styles from the late nineteenth century with sci-fi, visible in the use of period clothing along with buckles, pipes, steam engines, gears, and other mechanical stuff from that period, but made much more fanciful. The new Sherlock Holmes movie has a pretty steampunky aesthetic. I've seen a lot of steampunk wedding cakes, and I was thinking if we incorporated some of this into our decorations, paper, etc, that maybe FI in a period tailcoat wouldn't look so weird.

Here's an example of some steampunk-inspired clothing (I would not let him wear a top hat or carry a cane, but maybe a bowler):
http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/mens_victorian_outfits.php

I was feeling pretty positive about this last night, but then I had a bunch of Nyquil-induced nightmares, so now I feel uneasy.

CN: FI wants to wear tails. I think we might be able to make it non-awkward if we include some other steampunk ideas into our wedding. What do you think?
imageimage
Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?

Re: Steampunk wedding?

• Options
    Some of you guys might remember that FI and I have been having a big argument over whether or not he should wear tails to the wedding. He's all about it, I think it's too much, etc. Last night he went into some of the reasons that he's not into men's formalwear, and I can get behind some of them: basically, it comes down to the fact that men's suits that are widely available these days tend to be cut for people who have a much stockier frame than FI, and at 6'3' and 165 pounds, he's looking for something more elegant. Okay.

We were already talking about having elements of our wedding themed toward the 1890s, and I'm starting to think that maybe him wearing a tailcoat would be okay if we think about it as him wearing period clothing, i.e. the tuxedo jacket as we know it was not invented in the 1890s, and all men wore tailcoats.

Also, we've both been kind of fascinated lately by the idea of steampunk, or combining styles from the late nineteenth century with sci-fi, visible in the use of period clothing along with buckles, pipes, steam engines, gears, and other mechanical stuff from that period, but made much more fanciful. The new Sherlock Holmes movie has a pretty steampunky aesthetic. I've seen a lot of steampunk wedding cakes, and I was thinking if we incorporated some of this into our decorations, paper, etc, that maybe FI in a period tailcoat wouldn't look so weird.

Here's an example of some steampunk-inspired clothing (I would not let him wear a top hat or carry a cane, but maybe a bowler):
    http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/mens_victorian_outfits.php

I was feeling pretty positive about this last night, but then I had a bunch of Nyquil-induced nightmares, so now I feel uneasy.

CN: FI wants to wear tails. I think we might be able to make it non-awkward if we include some other steampunk ideas into our wedding. What do you think?
    imageimage
  • Options
    sucrets4sucrets4 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2010
    What time is your wedding?

I honestly wouldn't think twice if I saw him wearing tails at a wedding...unless your family is super versed in male attire, they'd probably be fine with it, too.

I think my DAD (mom?  really? stupid brain) and SIL's dad wore tails at my bro's wedding.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    For me, it's a little too costumey to be honest.  And, he's NEVER going to wear that suit again.  Ever. 

I understand what he's talking about with the suits being for a different type of frame, H is the same way.  Well, not tall, but definitely not stocky.  So, I would recommend investing in a very well cut Italian suit.  Gazzarini is one that is not as high end as say, D&G, or Armani, but still has the cut.  A suit is something that, if you invest in it, and get the right fabrics, right cut, etc, it never goes out of style!
  • Options
    Ack, posted too soon.

I'd only do those other things if you genuinely like them and would want to see them in wedding pics years down the road.  Tails will look fine 30 years from now, but maybe not something more trendy.

• Options
    H says to go to Nordstrom or Saks to get a suit or Brooks Bros.  Though, remember that the Brooks Bros is American cut.  I know it's expensive, but we really feel that it's worth it.
  • Options
    I think that's a great idea. As long as he's not dressed as Wm. Tinsley Beachgoer, then it will look awesome, and fit with the aura (I hate themes) better than modern formalwear.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Our wedding is at 11am.

The thing is, FI really, really wants this, and I'm the one who's uneasy, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it work. I do think that if anyone could pull off a tailcoat, he could, because he is so tall and everything he wears looks good. I just feel like if he wears it and nothing else in our wedding goes with it, it will be weird.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Again, it's NMS, and I just can't see that it would look great if no one else is wearing it.  Would you have all the GM's get something similar?  Because it would look weird if your FI was the only one and all the guys were wearing normal stuff.  I understand the "aura" of your wedding, what with it being in the elephant and all, but... Iii don't know.  Maybe he could get a pinstripped suit instead.
  • Options
    The correct formal wear before 5pm is a morning suit, which has tails. http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/suit-images/zoom/morning-suit---tailcoat-1.jpg" alt="See full size image" width="53" height="80" />
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_steampunk-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7483c866-f66f-4a5b-b3eb-8e5ba101be4aPost:0afe916f-63b0-4b20-aff8-7389f55cc0ed">Re: Steampunk wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Again, it's NMS, and I just can't see that it would look great if no one else is wearing it.  Would you have all the GM's get something similar?  Because it would look weird if your FI was the only one and all the guys were wearing normal stuff.  I understand the "aura" of your wedding, what with it being in the elephant and all, but... Iii don't know.  Maybe he could get a pinstripped suit instead.
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

I'm worried about this too. I don't think the other guys would really be into it. In our favor, we're not really having a traditional wedding party, and there's no point at which all the guys will be standing in a row at the altar or anything like that. Even before this all happened, I wasn't planning on mandating matching suits. The four men in our wedding party are my two brothers and his two brothers, and they are going to be our singer, reader, officiant, and best man. None of them would be into the idea of wearing a tailcoat, but I've been trying to think (since last night) about how we could make them fit a little better.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Damn I don't know how to PIP with this new system and my mac, help me!  

PS my FI is wearing a morning suit.  He is having one made.  He's English and it's what is worn to weddings, it's also worn to other events he attends so our wedding is a good reason a buy a good one.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_steampunk-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7483c866-f66f-4a5b-b3eb-8e5ba101be4aPost:37ec8f2d-6add-401f-a7df-a3ea2efbe512">Re: Steampunk wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]The correct formal wear before 5pm is a morning suit, which has tails.  <a href="http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/suit-images/zoom/morning-suit---tailcoat-1.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://www.suitsmen.co.uk/suit-images/zoom/morning-suit---tailcoat-1.jpg</a> " alt="See full size image" width="53" height="80" />
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

Believe me I have tried this line of reasoning. He refuses to wear a morning coat and says he doesn't care about the etiquette rules. I'm dealing with a groomzilla here.
    imageimage
  • Options
    It's perfect though, it has tails and is elegant!  
  • Options
    When was Lucy built?  In the 1880?
  • Options
    I agree with NCV!  That seems like a great solution!  Why doesn't he like it?

• Options
    My FI, GM, and dads are Amoro.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_steampunk-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7483c866-f66f-4a5b-b3eb-8e5ba101be4aPost:f12ebe78-9959-4cc5-925f-be61cef0610f">Re: Steampunk wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]When was Lucy built?  In the 1880?
    Posted by NCV2[/QUOTE]

She was built in 1882, so that's why I was thinking we might be able to make this work if we decided to go for a period-inspired look for a bunch of things.

His issue with the morning coat is that he actually really likes the idea of the short-in-front, long-in-back mullet look of the tailcoat. Amoro, take a look at the link I posted in the OP for what he actually wants.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I did look at the link Sarah.  I just don't like it. :) Sorry!

I was really just trying to do a PIP for you NCV. lol
  • Options
    We tried the morning suit. FI is 6'3'', 150 pounds on a good day... it looked really ridiculous (particularly since I'm 5'4'', and it just made him look taller).

Now, according to the NYT a while ago, Victorian men's fashions are "in" right now, but you don't want it to look trendy and dated in five or ten years.

Oh, I don't know what to suggest! Many of the outfits just look like classier morning suits, to me.

(Of course, we're scandalizing my dandified, European, thesis advisor because T. isn't wearing white tie to his own wedding, so to each his own...)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    sarah, meet Morfudd - in my mind you guys are knottie twins.

• Options
    Hi Morfudd! Glad to know somebody else is dealing with these things :)

I think the solution may be for FI to go and try some things on and see what we like. Maybe he'll change his mind, which would be awesome.
    imageimage
  • Options
    To me, this is just somewhat more... classic.  I can understand the morning suit where it's culturally applicable, I just think: suit.  I'm even anti-tux for weddings, unless it's black tie.

http://www.bluefly.com/Zegna-black-wool-2-button-Fit-Rom-suit-with-single-pleat-trousers/cat10028/306187801/detail.fly
  • Options
    Amoro, I definitely hear you. I'm just trying to keep telling myself that the reason I love FI is that he is a flamboyant nutcase, and if he's going to wear a hat in the shape of a wolf's head when he walks around on a normal day, then that zaniness is going to transfer over into what he wants for the wedding. He just doesn't speak the language that says classic and impeccably tailored is best.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Yeah. I gotcha.  Well, it might be one of those "pick your battles" moments.  Good luck!
  • Options
    My H wanted the GM and him to wear suits with tails. I wasn't not too keen on the idea but I said okay because it was his wedding too and I got to pick my dress, so he should be able to pick what he wanted to wear. I would have preferred a plain tux but you know, in the end it made my H very happy. I think you should let him wear tails if he wants to wear tails. I also like the steampunk idea. I googled and they have some cute elements out there.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_steampunk-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7483c866-f66f-4a5b-b3eb-8e5ba101be4aPost:a4a4824e-e9f4-465d-b06f-0e89a3634cea">Steampunk wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were already talking about having elements of our wedding themed toward the 1890s, and I'm starting to think that maybe him wearing a tailcoat would be okay if we think about it as him wearing period clothing, i.e. the tuxedo jacket as we know it was not invented in the 1890s, and all men wore tailcoats. 
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

<div>As a historian I like the historical theme, but with reservation.  The tails of today and the tailcoats of the 1890s are different.   If you're going to historical accuracy, you're going to need to rent a costume.  Also, I really think the theme only works if you're both in costume, and your WP, too.  Otherwise, it's a groom in period costume, and everyone else in clothes from 2010.  It's a mixed message.</div>
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_steampunk-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7483c866-f66f-4a5b-b3eb-8e5ba101be4aPost:d235d553-f404-4f3c-878e-bed42095cc0c">Re: Steampunk wedding?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My H wanted the GM and him to wear suits with tails. I wasn't not too keen on the idea but I said okay because it was his wedding too and I got to pick my dress, so he should be able to pick what he wanted to wear. I would have preferred a plain tux but you know, in the end it made my H very happy. I think you should let him wear tails if he wants to wear tails. I also like the steampunk idea. I googled and they have some cute elements out there.
    Posted by ricksang[/QUOTE]

Ricks, do you have any pictures of the wedding party in tails? I could use some inspiration. Also, what time of day was your wedding, and what was it like otherwise?
    imageimage
  • Options
    My wedding was at 6. pm and the women wore normal BM dresses and I wore a lace dress.

I just looked at my pics, they weren't tails but the suits were different. My h's suit did have tails.

Check your PM please.
  • Options
    Thanks Ricks! I'm going to show them to my FI when he gets back from practice.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards