Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?

Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?

• Options
    Said in the most loving way possible...are you fucking kidding me? Dont you dare try to use a Ouiji board. First of all, I know your religious beliefs. Second, that shiit can fuuck you up. Don't do it.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    NO OUIJA BOARDS!!!!!  I wouldn't do it if you paid me a million dollars.  I believe in spirits and I am not about to request their prescence in my home.  Once you open that door, it's hard to close it.  It's all personal belief but I would rather err of the side of caution. 
  • Options
    it's a board game, people

kinda like monopoly or scrabble... those scare you?
  • Options
    I think the fact that your DH (and I use it to mean dumbass husband in this sense) thinks it would be "fun," when you are clearly freaked out about it, is another indicator of the fact that he's an ass.

There's nothing "fun" about messing with spirits, whether or not you believe in the "power" of the board.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ouija-board-tipstalesskepticism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:758db216-3ace-44c7-a1ba-6a40d146794cPost:d2a9eea8-e2e0-4232-9910-1855495bdb8a">Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]it's a board game, people kinda like monopoly or scrabble... those scare you?
    Posted by angie74[/QUOTE]

It's the fact that you are asking for participation from spirits/ or ghosts.  I don't think the actual piece of cardboard does anything.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    crfischecrfische member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited June 2010
    I predict that the only thing your ouija board will spell out is "Shane's an ass."

Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Excuse me, I meant "Bedlam in Goliath"  ---listen to that album by The Mars Volta before you use one.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I think it's not just the board made by Matell, but rather the welcoming of contact. I also wouldn't be like, "Hey angry spirit, let's sit down and chat."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ouija-board-tipstalesskepticism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:758db216-3ace-44c7-a1ba-6a40d146794cPost:d2a9eea8-e2e0-4232-9910-1855495bdb8a">Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]it's a board game, people kinda like monopoly or scrabble... those scare you?
    Posted by angie74[/QUOTE]

For me, it's not the board itself, it's the intent.  You certainly don't need a board to invite something into the house, or to interact with it if it's there. 
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I held a seance in my garage when I was 12 or 13.  It didn't work either.

Yes, it is just a game unless you make it more than that.  Methinks that many people in this thread have seen The Exorcist one too many times.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    I was never allowed to use a Oujia board and I never really wanted to.

I can honestly say though that one time, we did Light as a Feather Stiff as a board, and it worked. I'm sure someone was cheating, but as a 6th grader, I was really impressed.
  • Options
    I've never touched one and have no plan to do so.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ouija-board-tipstalesskepticism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:758db216-3ace-44c7-a1ba-6a40d146794cPost:41f1fbf5-a076-4c5f-9c7e-d5bfbc375c2f">Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I held a seance in my garage when I was 12 or 13.  It didn't work either. Yes, it is just a game unless you make it more than that.  Methinks that many people in this thread have seen The Exorcist one too many times.
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

The existence of spirits is a firmly held belief in a lot of religions. I know that the Catholic church strongly frowns upson messing with that stuff, in any form.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, I've been trying to post a reply for over an hour and kept getting error messages! I called shane and I think we're going to hold off and talk to our pastor. Thanks for the advice.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ouija-board-tipstalesskepticism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:758db216-3ace-44c7-a1ba-6a40d146794cPost:8e262854-ca38-45f1-938b-2c6045cda75a">Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tried it once with some friends, and I really wish we wouldn't have. It was not only creepy, but I felt icky about it for months after.
    Posted by jasmineh7777[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  My friend and I tried it once freshman year of highschool.  We totally trusted each other and I know she didn't move it, nor did I.  It was so creepy and I hated that I did it for months! Do NOT do it.
  • Options
    How can you cheat at stiff as a feather light as a board?  You either levitate or your don't.  I don't think 3 or 4 6th grade girls could lift someone up with their fingers right?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ouija-board-tipstalesskepticism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:758db216-3ace-44c7-a1ba-6a40d146794cPost:ae0849a1-eff9-43cd-a400-a76e47cb2243">Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was never allowed to use a Oujia board and I never really wanted to. I can honestly say though that one time, we did Light as a Feather Stiff as a board, and it worked. I'm sure someone was cheating, but as a 6th grader, I was really impressed.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

How does one cheat at Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board?  You all just have a couple fingers under the person right?  My cousins and I all tried it and it never worked.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    So.... lemme get this straight.  A majority of people here think that the makers of Ouija Board, Milton Bradley (or whomever) have an ongoing pact with the devil so that he can "bless" the boards to allow them to interact with spirits?  Cause uh... yeah....
  • Options
    I will say though, this has given me an hilarious image in my head of the devil from South Park standing at the end of the production line at a factory.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ouija-board-tipstalesskepticism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:758db216-3ace-44c7-a1ba-6a40d146794cPost:39cd30bc-55a8-4526-abb5-317bbf1885a9">Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So.... lemme get this straight.  A majority of people here think that the makers of Ouija Board, Milton Bradley (or whomever) have an ongoing pact with the devil so that he can "bless" the boards to allow them to interact with spirits?  Cause uh... yeah....
    Posted by AmoroAgain[/QUOTE]

I think we've all made it very clear that it is not the Milton Bradley game itself, it's inviting the spirits/ghosts/South park devil to interact with you. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    Exactly! it's not just a Milton Bradley game...it's Parker Brothers and yes, it's a game. 

I disagree that this game has ANY more power than sitting in your room and asking a spirit to communicate.  It's just a way to get you to spend $19.99 on something.

Bi-oh-rama

"smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill

• Options
    I didn't "believe" in Ouija boards, but a few years ago, my friend and I were messing around with one in my room. I realize that by telling this, some people might think I'm crazy, but I can't help that. We asked it if my grandparents (who passed when I was young) were there, and the little thingy pointed to "Yes." Ok, fine. We asked it a few more questions, then we asked if the spirits/ghosts/what have you were angry with us. The little thingy moved to "Yes." Big deal, right?

At that moment, all the lights in my room went out with a pop. I clearly and distinctly felt a whoosh of cold air on the back of my neck. We started screaming, and my mom came in. The weird thing was that my room, my brother's room, and my dad's office were on the same circuit (so if I ever blew the fuse with too many electronics, all three rooms would go out). Only my room's power went out, which had never happened before or since.

My mom told me, and I believe her, that if something was trying to communicat e with us, my grandparents wouldn't be anywhere around something like that. I don't live in fear of ghosts or stuff like that, but as I said in FFF, if something can't be absolutely disproved, I have to entertain the possibility that it could exist.

That was enough Ouija for me.
  • Options
    What is Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board?
  • Options
    Okay, I skimmed replies but didn't read them closely so I may be repeating advice.

A good friend of mine lived alone for a little over a year in a house that he was completely sure was haunted. I wish I could remember all of the stories he told me about what happened to him, but the only one I remember was that he saw a man walking around the house sometimes, and one night he woke up and there was a disembodied head watching him from the end of the bed. And his cats spent most of their time totally freaked out.

One day he decided to just talk to the spirit (or whatever it was). He told it that the house it was in didn't belong to it, and it needed to move on. Maybe some other things too. IIRC, there was one more sign of hauntedness, but then he didn't have any problems afterwards.
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2010
    Poli, my point is, do you think it was the GAME that did that?  Or do you believe that it was the fact that you were sitting there talking to spirits?  The game doesn't have any power unless it is, in fact, blessed by the south park devil at the end of the line.

I have played Ouija MANY times, I have conducted a séance, I have performed an exorcism on my closet, I have played "bloody Mary" and light as a feather.  No success.

Maybe I am not as "attuned" as those that have been successful but I can tell you that the board does not come with magic powers.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ouija-board-tipstalesskepticism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:758db216-3ace-44c7-a1ba-6a40d146794cPost:1a2f9dd9-3ca6-4156-9ab2-5c60f588c7b5">Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]What is Light as a Feather, Stiff as a Board?
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Geez, haven't you ever seen The Craft, Heels? :)

I'm sure at least three people will have answered this by the time I get it typed out, but you lay on the ground/floor/whatever with a few people around you and they each put a couple fingers under you.  Then you chant "light as a feather, stiff as a board" over and over in creepy whisper voices and the person is supposed to levitate.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ouija-board-tipstalesskepticism?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:758db216-3ace-44c7-a1ba-6a40d146794cPost:0afe61b2-1f18-4201-b9fb-07734330295b">Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ouija board tips/tales/skepticism? : I think we've all made it very clear that it is not the Milton Bradley game itself, it's inviting the spirits/ghosts/South park devil to interact with you. 
    Posted by andyandhillary[/QUOTE]

Which has nothing to do with a Ouija board.  You can sit in your house and do the same thing.  And just because you talk to spirits or ask them to interact with you does NOT mean that they're all bad or something awful is going to happen to you. Ninnies.
  • Options
    Smokey, I don't think the board has any specific powers at all. I just think that it's one of many possible ways that things/beings could communicate.

Trinalo, my biggest (irrational) fear is to wake up in the middle of the night and see a figure standing at the end of my bed. I can't even handle reading about stuff like that.
  • Options
    Also, I think this whole "my religion doesn't allow me" to believe in ghosts stuff?  That's a crock.  Christianity pretty much encourages you to believe in spirits, souls "and the Holy Ghost", so unless you're specifically asking for a demon or a bad spirit, the only person that's attributing evilness to something is you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards