Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

A single guest says he might RSVP with a +1...

So my fiance and I made the decision to invite all of our out of town guests with a +1 - we thought it would be nice if they had to travel for the wedding to have a companion. There was one exception though - I have a younger cousin, and although he is a nice guy, he always ends up with a random girl for a few days to a few weeks at a time and then never mentions her again. Sometimes there's serveral in a month! I really don't want one of these girls to end up at my wedding, so although he is coming from out of town we invited him solo. Our RSVP cards actually say "___ of ___ guest(s) will attend" and then we filled in the second blank, and in his case with a '1'. Well I just recieved an e-mail from him this morning informing me that he is definitely coming to the wedding but hasn't sent back the RSVP because he is unsure of whether or not he will br bringing a date... HELP! What do I say to him? He will have some family also travelling down for the wedding - but they were all invited with their significant others or a +1.
So do I explain to him that only he is invited?
Do I tell him I need to know by June 8th for sure because that is the RSVP date?
Any better suggestions??

Re: A single guest says he might RSVP with a +1...

• Options
    I think it was rude to not invite him with a plus one when everyone else (including his own family) was. 

How do you know these girls aren't perfectly lovely girls that he just ends up ditching?  Maybe he'll bring a girl you will love and have a great time with.  Don't judge. 

I'd let him bring a date since you are letting everyone else.  If you'd given nobody else who was single a +1, my answer would be different, but you were rude first.  This is your chance to fix your mistake.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I can understand not wanting "randoms" at your wedding, but as PPs have pointed out it's rude to invite all OOT guests and all of his family with a plus one, but not extend the same courtesy to him. It's not like you have to spend the entire night being all buddy-buddy with his flavour of the week. Be polite, thank them for coming and move on to the rest of your guests.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_a-single-guest-says-he-might-rsvp-with-a-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:77132abf-0ce7-4cc0-9be3-416832b9cd57Post:0f5089d0-4466-4a8c-bf6e-6a18a3c9c829">Re: A single guest says he might RSVP with a +1...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it was rude to not invite him with a plus one when everyone else (including his own family) was.  How do you know these girls aren't perfectly lovely girls that he just ends up ditching?  Maybe he'll bring a girl you will love and have a great time with.  Don't judge.  I'd let him bring a date since you are letting everyone else.  If you'd given nobody else who was single a +1, my answer would be different, but you were rude first.  This is your chance to fix your mistake.
    Posted by Habs2Hart[/QUOTE]

<div>I think it was pretty rude that you just decided that I was rude to not invite him plus guest and that I don't know my family well enough to know if he is "ditching" these girls. It is perfectly acceptable to invite some guests +1 while not others, and keeping the size of this wedding small is important to me. But thanks so much for your overly judgy opinion while telling me not to judge.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards