Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

MOB Attire Etiquette?

Is there any etiquette guidelines on what the MOB wears on the wedding day?? My Mom wants to go try a dress on, and asked me if it's OK that it is in black and white. To be honest, I have no idea.

Obviously I don't want her (or anyone for that matter) to wear all white but is this combo OK?

Oh, and by reading everyone's "What Happened" post last Friday, I'm just so flattered to see all of the crap about how much my fiance is an asssholee on that thread.

And what is FFF??

Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?

• Options
    If you're OK with it, it doesn't really matter. But I think that's too much white. Even if it were a black and white floral pattern maybe...
    Lizzie
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    There is no etiquette on this. As long as she is comfortable, then that is what should matter. Now, I too would encourage my mom and my FMIL not to wear all or mostly white/ivory/cream, as this is commonly frowned upon, but a little white in the pattern is NBD to me. It's a matter of your preference and hers, mainly.
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    There is no etiquette on MOB attire.

Also, does anyone in your family know how to just wake up and put clothes on?
  • Options
    I think it's fine.
    panther
  • Options
    That'a such a beautiful dress! If my mom wasn't so petite, she'd love it. I have no idea if there is any etiquette regarding this anymore, other than she should match the formality of your event (which is the same for any other guest, too). If it makes you uncomfortable, then I guess it's a no. The wearing white thing doesn't bother me, but I know I'm the minority.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:47ce0b9e-39c3-4564-9f86-c462cf5927f9">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is no etiquette on MOB attire. Also, does anyone in your family know how to just wake up and put clothes on?
    Posted by annakb8[/QUOTE]

Funny. In fact yes. I'm asking an etiquette question about the outfit. Not how to dress my mother in it.
  • Options
    That's too much white, IMO.  My mom and I have quite a few photos of just the two of us or us+my dad that are closer shots, with just our upper bodies; and then it would look like she was wearing an all white dress.

But if you're cool with it it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    I'm not sure if it's old school etiquette or tradition, but MOB's are also not supposed to wear black.  Wearing a black dress to your daughter's wedding signifies that you are upset about the marriage and are in mourning.

But if you are okay with it, it's okay.

Back in the day, red was also seen as a no-no for MOB's.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:a60d7012-51a9-4864-a07a-a76756146407">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : I could be wrong but I don't think that's what Anna was referring to.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

I think it is. Only because I was "flammed" or whatever for asking what I should expect to wear to a bridal expo since it was my first one to ever go to.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:edb6b9f3-b059-412b-9920-274aa6e65acf">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I'm not sure if it's old school etiquette or tradition, but MOB's are also not supposed to wear black.  Wearing a black dress to your daughter's wedding signifies that you are upset about the marriage and are in mourning. But if you are okay with it, it's okay. Back in the day, red was also seen as a no-no for MOB's.</strong>
    Posted by MattsPenguin[/QUOTE]

<div>I don't think any of this really holds true anymore. </div>
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:47c1e4c4-fec7-4a04-9555-3c6ed91924ee">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : I don't think any of this really holds true anymore. 
    Posted by em01092[/QUOTE]

I don't think so either, but my mom refused to look at black dresses because of this old school thinking.

Just mentioning it.
  • Options
    I think its too much white, but I am anal about white at weddings.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:1592b241-6ee8-4f03-a65c-41b6807c72b1">MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE] And what is FFF??
    Posted by santana9505[/QUOTE]
    Thats where I said I thought your question about what to wear to a bridal show was lame.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:edb6b9f3-b059-412b-9920-274aa6e65acf">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not sure if it's old school etiquette or tradition, but MOB's are also not supposed to wear black.  Wearing a black dress to your daughter's wedding signifies that you are upset about the marriage and are in mourning. But if you are okay with it, it's okay. Back in the day, red was also seen as a no-no for MOB's.

My mom wore black to my wedding and my sisters wedding :) same dress, in fact.

I've heard about red not being appropriate for any woman to wear.  A woman who wears red to a wedding allegedly had slept with the groom?  Woops.  I don't think people care about that anymore though.
    panther
  • Options
    Riiighhhtt. It must have been entertaining or something
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:4a348c00-9d73-4d15-85a5-960e421c2944">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : I don't think so either, but my mom refused to look at black dresses because of this old school thinking. Just mentioning it.

<div>Yeah if that's her preference, then whatevs. NBD. My FMIL is probably wearing black. </div>
  • Options
    You just ask a whole lot of questions about clothes. What should you wear, what should your FI wear, what should your mom wear. That's all. 
  • Options
    My mom is wearing this with ivory on top and a purple-y color on the bottom:

And FI's mom is wearing something similar except it is a v-neck halter with ivory on top and black on bottom.

I personally didn't see anything wrong with the amount of white they each have.

My mom's dress by her choosing is a nod to the bridesmaid dresses which will be a purple color and FMIL's dress by her choosing is a nod to the groomsmen's tux by having the black and white.  I thought it was cute that they both put that much thought into it.  They did also both ask if I was ok with that much white before they purchased.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Can you guys please tell me what I should wear to Home Depot this weekend? Heels and a dress? Pearls? ARGH! 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:ececefe8-ee2e-479a-b8a7-fedc460b57de">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : My mom wore black to my wedding and my sisters wedding :) same dress, in fact. I've heard about red not being appropriate for any woman to wear.  A woman who wears red to a wedding allegedly had slept with the groom?  Woops.  I don't think people care about that anymore though.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

Wow, your mom must be really sad that you guys got married.  :(

Regarding red, I wonder what that means for two of the weddings that I've been in where all of the BM's wore red.  WE ALL SLEPT WITH THE GROOM!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:0d4d9d91-7980-4d87-b972-7e30955b2419">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you guys please tell me what I should wear to Home Depot this weekend? Heels and a dress? Pearls? ARGH! 
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

No silly, that's what you wear to football games!!
  • Options
    I see plenty of "help me dress myself" threads. I don't really see the big deal about Santana posting about what she should wear to a Bridal Expo. Maybe a little odd, but I don't think she deserves as much flack as she is getting.  

Santana, what does your mom want to wear? Ok, done. She wears what she wants!

*Now I'll forever be Captain Save-a-Somebody.*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:ececefe8-ee2e-479a-b8a7-fedc460b57de">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : My mom wore black to my wedding and my sisters wedding :) same dress, in fact. I've heard about red not being appropriate for any woman to wear.  A woman who wears red to a wedding allegedly had slept with the groom?  Woops.  I don't think people care about that anymore though.
    Posted by AllAboutTheBenjamin[/QUOTE]

I offered MIL a dress to try on in black (we had a little girls shopping day and I was browsing while she was changing) and she was all "*gasp!* I can't wear black! it would imply I wasn't happy with your marriage"  I just laughed and told her she could wear whatever she wanted.

and that red thing is hilarious.  I wore read as a BM in my UNCLE's wedding.  gross.
  • Options
    I think it's too much white also, personally. 

Also, definitely wear the pearls to HD LDY.  Do you have a matching set?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:79792e36-3e89-4a19-ab0b-9e3ef0f66e59">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : I think it is. <strong>Only because I was "flammed" or whatever for asking what I should expect to wear to a bridal expo since it was my first one to ever go to.</strong>
    Posted by santana9505[/QUOTE]

<div>LDY said it was lame, but I think most of the conversation was about your FI wanting to wear camo to your christmas party (or something to that nature.)

</div>
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:28db33e8-41ca-4a2b-be1e-67399f5032f1">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : No silly, that's what you wear to football games!!

<div>I never understood that. Out of all my girl friends/roommates, I was the only one who wore jeans and a school T-shirt, not a "game day dress" to college football games. *shrugs*</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:65e5c477-5fcb-4a45-88d3-01bbf7589c88">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : I offered MIL a dress to try on in black (we had a little girls shopping day and I was browsing while she was changing) and she was all "*gasp!* I can't wear black! it would imply I wasn't happy with your marriage"  I just laughed and told her she could wear whatever she wanted. and that red thing is hilarious.  I wore read as a BM in my UNCLE's wedding.  gross.
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

Kate, maybe it's a midwestern mother thing (being horrified at the suggestion of a black dress).
  • Options
    TBH, I didn't care so much that you made a lame thread - it was your attitude when we told you you didn't have to dress up nicely. It was also lame.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mob-attire-etiquette?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:77f95745-ce70-4a9a-ba44-243396cfe79aPost:6b078316-4ff6-421b-b4cb-2981bc6528ac">Re: MOB Attire Etiquette?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOB Attire Etiquette? : LDY said it was lame, but I think <strong>most of the conversation was about your FI wanting to wear camo to your christmas party (or something to that nature.)</strong>
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

Now I remember.
    I have to agree with Anna's comment then. You do have a lot of clothing related questions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards