Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

SERIOUSLY!?

...so one of the housekeepers we have just came into my office requesting her check - no problem. She sat at my desk for roughly 15 minutes, playing with things on my desk, talking, even eating some of the snack mix I was eating.

As she gets up to leave she says "Oh, you're not pregnant are you?"

I said "uh...no, why?"

"because I have the chicken pox and if you were pregnant your unborn baby could get it - but you're not so it's all good. bye!"

The b!tch has been sitting at my desk...fondling my stuff, EATING out of the same bowl as me...and she has chicken pox. I saw some marks on her, but I honestly thought they were bug bites or something. Why would I suspect that a 50 year old woman has chicken pox? And WHY would she sit at my desk infecting my little world with her chicken pocky germs?!!?!?!?

I've already sprayed down everything with lysol. I reeeeeeeally dont need to get sick.

Re: SERIOUSLY!?

• Options
    That is repulsive. 
  • Options
    honestly she should be sent home if she is contageous and could eb infecting others who have not had it or have not been vaccinated.
  • Options
    Uh, she's also been spreading germs wherever she's been cleaning.  She shouldn't be working until she's got a clean bill of health.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    EW!  That is disgusting, who DOES that?!  Ick. 
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    Mr Panda's Dallas office is run like a frat house. They have a pet turtle. They have a bowl of communal peanuts. Someone played with the turtle and then ate from the communal peanuts without washing their hands. Presto! Everyone has salmonella. 
  • Options
    so she only cares about a non-existent fetus, and not about you? that's foul.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:15502620-13c1-44d3-990f-9e2a65b16c0b">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]rawr!
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]

I'll see your rawr and raise it to a t-rex RAWR!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:a0e0bc44-f8ef-4664-b951-f1ca61601520">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uh, she's also been spreading germs wherever she's been cleaning.  She shouldn't be working until she's got a clean bill of health.
    Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know. We dont have a full time housekeeping staff - she's just sorta someone that we call whenever we need an apartment cleaned - maybe once a month. She didn't tell anyone she had chicken pox. No one knew until she walked out the door saying it like it was NBD. I'm repulsed.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:b03e784e-10d2-462b-8d67-0c5aacc7d5f8">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SERIOUSLY!? : I'll see your rawr and raise it to a t-rex RAWR!
    Posted by MeaghanandMichael[/QUOTE]

ha! :P
  • Options
    LDYGTR13LDYGTR13 member
    First Comment
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:15d1c80b-db7b-4975-bba3-d5932739ff79">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]so she only cares about a non-existent fetus, and not about you? that's foul.
    Posted by daffodil_jill[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I assume my non-existent fetus thanks her.  However, the woman who works in the office next to mine has a 3 month old baby - if that kid somehow ends up pocky we're gonna have issues. AAAAND I've got to go back and lysol and rewash all of the linens and everything at the apartment she "cleaned" for us Wednesday night. I'm so grossed out right now.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:90c01dfb-aae3-49d1-956b-98ef390a42f9">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SERIOUSLY!? : Yeah, I know. We dont have a full time housekeeping staff - she's just sorta someone that we call whenever we need an apartment cleaned - maybe once a month. She didn't tell anyone she had chicken pox. No one knew until she walked out the door saying it like it was NBD. I'm repulsed.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

<div>Needless to say, I hope you do not call her again for cleaning. I would have flipped out if she did that stuff to me. </div>
  • Options
    She would not be coming back if it were me. Her employment would be terminated. Ugh.
  • Options
    Out of curiosity, have you had chicken pox?
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    No way in hell is she getting a call again - especially if I find a pock in the next few days. I'm probably going to be obsessively checking myself for the next few weeks. My luck, I'll get little red dots all over me just before the wedding (I realize it's a month and a half away but I have crappy luck lol)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:caa5c1c0-700d-4418-b55e-aaa109bbd3de">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Out of curiosity, have you had chicken pox?
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

Yep, I had them when I was 2 - but can't you get shingles once you've had chicken pox? I'm not medically inclined, I could be completely wrong on this. Either way, I'm a nanny for 2 kids who have never had the chicken pox so I'm kinda paranoid that it could somehow get to them too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:8df83b3d-3c31-465e-b6fd-25698248039d">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SERIOUSLY!? : Yep, I had them when I was 2 - but can't you get shingles once you've had chicken pox? I'm not medically inclined, I could be completely wrong on this. Either way, I'm a nanny for 2 kids who have never had the chicken pox so I'm kinda paranoid that it could somehow get to them too.
    Posted by LDYGTR13[/QUOTE]

<div>I think so.... I THINK shingles is a form of chicken pox. But I believe (and I could be wrong) that once you had chicken pox you can't get it again. </div><div>
    </div><div>Still, that is so gross of her. And way for her to ask after she's ALREADY sitting there and touching your things! EWWWW! </div>

• Options
    That is ridiculous, what's wrong with people?  You can get chickenpox from someone who has shingles, but I don't think it's the other way around.  In any case though, that was extremely inconsiderate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You can get shingles if your chicken pox wasn't bad enough to give you full immunity, I believe.  Given that you've got a wedding coming up and nanny two small children, you need to see a doctor asap to ensure everything's on the up & up, in my opinion.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I think you can only get shingles if you've had chicken pox?  I don't really know and could have totally made that up but for some reason that's what I've always thought.  I had chicken pox when I was 6 months old and shingles when I was three so who knows..

Anyway that's disgusting and I hope you don't call her anymore...
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:8d3dc7fe-1892-4498-aae5-ea04ebe71909">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mr Panda's Dallas office is run like a frat house. They have a pet turtle. They have a bowl of communal peanuts. Someone played with the turtle and then ate from the communal peanuts without washing their hands. Presto! Everyone has salmonella. 
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

Gross. My brother had a turtle and we were threatened with death to wash our hands every single time we touched him. I can't imagine wanting to eat after playing with a turtle without washing your hands.

My dad had shingles once. He said it was NOT FUN. But it's pretty rare. And I'm not sure if you get them from being exposed to chicken pox or if your body can just develop them once you have chicken pox antibodies in you.

My cousin got chicken pox from her son when she was in her 30s. It's supposed to be pretty bad when you're older. I'm surprised that woman was well enough to be working, actually.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:8d3dc7fe-1892-4498-aae5-ea04ebe71909">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Mr Panda's Dallas office is run like a frat house. They have a pet turtle. They have a bowl of communal peanuts. Someone played with the turtle and then ate from the communal peanuts without washing their hands. Presto! Everyone has salmonella. 
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

This just reminded me of a text I received:

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
    Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
    All the king's horses and all the king's men
    got salmonella
  • Options
    wow  some people are stupid
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seriously-7?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7c8994c7-7bf3-479f-aa6d-65ad299c3232Post:66060eae-103f-4dac-ab48-49a8b9017bdf">Re: SERIOUSLY!?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: SERIOUSLY!? : Gross. My brother had a turtle and we were threatened with death to wash our hands every single time we touched him. I can't imagine wanting to eat after playing with a turtle without washing your hands. My dad had shingles once. He said it was NOT FUN. But it's pretty rare. And I'm not sure if you get them from being exposed to chicken pox or if your body can just develop them once you have chicken pox antibodies in you. <strong>My cousin got chicken pox from her son when she was in her 30s. It's supposed to be pretty bad when you're older. I'm surprised that woman was well enough to be working, actually.</strong>
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Apparently she made mention of her pockiness to my boss on the phone the other day and that she "really had the chicken pox last week, this week she just still has marks and doesn't feel 100%"...still. stay the hellz away from me.
  • Options
    Chicken Pox is a virus so, after you contract it, it stays in your body. Shingles happens when the virus gets reactivated somehow (often it is caused by extreme stress) and is really an inflammation of the nerves or something along those lines. It can be acute and is pretty painful. I've known 2 people who got shingles from stress.

http://www.shinglesinfo.com/index.html?WT.srch=1&WT.mc_id=SH03V
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    That sucks. I have had customers come in hacking up lungs and not covering their mouths with something (elbow). Um...our product is not something you NEED IMMEDIATELY, so get out and stop spreading your germs!

When I was little, my mom would make my sister and I play with kids if they had chicken pox. We both got it the year I was six, in the summer. Her thought was to just deal with two kids at once rather than back to back illnesses.

planning

• Options
    I actually ended up with the chicken pox twice. Once when I was two, but my dad says I only had like 5 pox on my stomach, so apparently I hadn't developed a full immunity. I got them again in the third grade when there was an outbreak in my class.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards