Wedding Etiquette Forum

Unpopular Opinions.

Re: Unpopular Opinions.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:6b27a585-1d02-46fa-90df-53b6e8995a17">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : See, I look at it like this.  Welfare is voluntary.  You don't have to be on it.  So I look at it as my parents did "as long as we're paying the bills, you will follow our rules.  If you don't like our rules,  go out into the world and support yourself".  So I don't quite buy that it's 100% unconstitutional to require B/C.
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

Kind of like, in order to keep getting unemployment (at least in WI, 10 years ago) you had to be showing someone that you were job searching, applying, taking interviews, and if they found out you turned down a job, you were cut off.  I like it.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • What would happen to men if they drank BC-laced water all the time?  Would they grow bewbs?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:3e296d38-eb60-4c7c-9b32-4235c9721114">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, going with the unconstitutional birth control theme, I'm all for mandating birth control of some sort to people that screw the system and think they can keep popping out babies and the government is going to pay for it.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Mine sort of goes along with this. I think that anyone on governmental assistant (welfare, transitional assistance) should not be allowed to get pregnant if they already have small children to provide for. I think IF someone who is benefiting from governmental monies does get pregnant, they should be taxed for it during tax season (and their government assistance should stop). Obviously this is a pipe dream and unconstitutional, but I bet it would  stop a lot of "accidental" pregnancies. People wouldn't want to lose their financial benefits for the children they already have.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:f206e69b-7688-4e8d-a3a6-2eeaf97e8b5b">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]What would happen to men if they drank BC-laced water all the time?  Would they grow bewbs?
    Posted by kikibaby[/QUOTE]

Mmmm .... Manboobs
  • I hope so, Kiki. They would all be like Meatloaf in Fight Club.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:3d6da27e-11ee-4f7d-89ec-60f3e93fac12">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : Mine sort of goes along with this. I think that anyone on governmental assistant (welfare, transitional assistance) should not be allowed to get pregnant if they already have small children to provide for. I think IF someone who is benefiting from governmental monies does get pregnant, they should be taxed for it during tax season (and their government assistance should stop). Obviously this is a pipe dream and unconstitutional, but I bet it would  stop a lot of "accidental" pregnancies. <strong>People wouldn't want to lose their financial benefits for the children they already have.</strong>
    Posted by L-Bride[/QUOTE]

Sadly, L, I think you'd find more people who wouldn't want to lose their financial benefits for THEMSELVES before their children. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:97e6d60c-38d5-4f18-a092-c04d06c47f87">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : Mmmm .... Manboobs
    Posted by jajph1974[/QUOTE]

Moobs?

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:d9b4de63-f69c-43e2-aeba-f287ca88dea4">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : Moobs?
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

Haha. Yes!
  • My unpopular opinion: I don't see the big deal about separating the WP from their significant others during dinner (head table). It's how I've always seen it and, while I totally understand and appreciate the arguments against it, I still don't think it's the height of rudeness that everyone else seems to think it is.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:24ff3a83-3f16-4022-916f-5156f1bd63d9">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My unpopular opinion: I don't see the big deal about separating the WP from their significant others during dinner (head table). It's how I've always seen it and, while I totally understand and appreciate the arguments against it, I still don't think it's the height of rudeness that everyone else seems to think it is.
    Posted by Bubbalub[/QUOTE]

I don't necessarily see it as a huge etiquette gaffe, it's just making the wedding suckier for your WP and dates.

I got stuck at a head table between two of the grooms' brothers that were, like, 17 once while my FI had to sit with my mom and sister.  Not fun.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:e8a9f0a8-54b7-4c5f-af00-49f8a59b12c2">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : I agree with you.  We have such a terrible over population problem as it is.  It would also help prevent STDs ( not Save-the-Dates). Right on mama!
    Posted by sophistryliz[/QUOTE]

Birth control does not prevent a single STD, you flipping IDIOT. Please go back to Snarky Brides where your stupidity can be contained to one board. Thanks.

It's a horrible idea to pump our kids full of hormones in BCP. We should be educating them and teaching them to apply condoms in every sexual situation. THAT prevents pregnancy and STDs.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:a41e2cea-71d9-44fc-af81-50acea1b322c">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hope so, Kiki. They would all be like Meatloaf in Fight Club.
    Posted by cew515[/QUOTE]

Great, there goes my lunch.  Oh well, I was trying to lose weight anyway.
  • My unpopular opinion: skinny jeans are heinous.  As are most of the clothes I am seeing wander around the college campus I work on.  I a saw girl yesterday in white washed skinny jeans.  wtf?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:3d6da27e-11ee-4f7d-89ec-60f3e93fac12">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : Mine sort of goes along with this. I think that anyone on governmental assistant (welfare, transitional assistance) should not be allowed to get pregnant if they already have small children to provide for.<strong> I think IF someone who is benefiting from governmental monies does get pregnant, they should be taxed for it during tax season (and their government assistance should stop). </strong>Obviously this is a pipe dream and unconstitutional, but I bet it would  stop a lot of "accidental" pregnancies. People wouldn't want to lose their financial benefits for the children they already have.

But the reason government assistance was started was so the CHILDREN could get healthy foods/what they need. That's what WIC, TANF, and other programs do-- They allow families to get a little extra so that the kids don't suffer. It's not the children's fault that their parents keep popping out kids-- why should they get their assistance taken away for their parent(s) mistakes?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:e8a9f0a8-54b7-4c5f-af00-49f8a59b12c2">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : I agree with you.  We have such a terrible over population problem as it is.  It would also help prevent STDs ( not Save-the-Dates). Right on mama!

Gah, go away.  *shunned*
  • I'm glad to see that at least some of these opinions are unpopular.  That's the point, people.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:3993012e-8437-4fae-918f-2422afac476e">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : Gah, go away.  *shunned*

I think Diet Dr. Pepper kitty is in charge of the shunning in this thread, but I have a feeling she would approve.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko

Oh, please don't agree with me like that, you're not helping.  STDs?  Really?
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • My unpopular opinion of the day: If you want to rage against people that watch "unChristian" movies that "disrespect God", that's your right.  But don't then turn around and show one of these movies to 4 girls under the age of 14 on a church sponsered trip and get pissy when someone calls you out on it.

Ugh.  And regarding the BC thing: technically it's already semi in our water system.  Women take it, flush the byproducts down the toilet, it gets all cleaned up and any part of the BC that makes it through the clean up (and there are traces of it in there) are reabsorbed into the water system and passed along to everyone.  At least, that's according to my Bio professor, and I'm not positive he was telling the whole truth.  He likes to mess with us.

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
    oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2010
    I also don't think it's rude to say "We cannot accomodate kids at either the ceremony or reception, we appreciate your understanding" so long as it's not printed directly on the invite.

Of course, that's probably because I did exactly that. Ah well.
  • mushEmushE member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:3d6da27e-11ee-4f7d-89ec-60f3e93fac12">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : Mine sort of goes along with this. I think that anyone on governmental assistant (welfare, transitional assistance) should not be allowed to get pregnant if they already have small children to provide for. I think IF someone who is benefiting from governmental monies does get pregnant, they should be taxed for it during tax season (and their government assistance should stop). Obviously this is a pipe dream and unconstitutional, but I bet it would  stop a lot of "accidental" pregnancies. People wouldn't want to lose their financial benefits for the children they already have.

Welfare reform (1996) actually partly does this.  If you get pregnant while on cash aid, the new child is considered MFG.  MFG = Maximum Family Grant, which doesn't at all explain what it is, but what is means is that you cannot get an increase in your cash aid due to your household size increasing.  You can, however, get medical assistance, and increased food stamps. 

Note that MFG is, I think, the California term, but welfare reform and these rules are nationwide. 
  • My unpopular opinion is that I wasreally hoping Sophistry was being sarcastic...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:fa8991f4-c748-49c2-8a37-8aa8790083dc">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My unpopular opinion: skinny jeans are heinous.  As are most of the clothes I am seeing wander around the college campus I work on.  I a saw girl yesterday in white washed skinny jeans.  wtf?
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

So you didn't get the memo?  The 80's are back! 
  • I like running (I couldn't ever do a marathon or anything really long distance though)

I don't like politics other than for the sheer ridiculous theater of it all

WR: I also don't tend to like birdcage veils, but they look great on some people if their whole wedding day theme is sort of vintage. Otherwise ... not a fan.

I think pocketfold invitations tend to look ridiculous. Maybe that's just because I've seen a lot of really so-so DIY ones though.

I don't care about time gaps between ceremony and reception (my family is mostly Catholic so I'm completely used to it), but I don't like having to drive 45 minutes out to the boonies to go to someone's reception, especially if I'm from out of town and I'm not familiar with the area.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:75d74ade-8d25-4412-9d0c-7fe8087c94f3">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]My unpopular opinion is that I wasreally hoping Sophistry was being sarcastic...
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Clearly you haven't been reading SB lately.  She's a peach.
  • My unpopular opinion (at least on E): Regional and social norms should trump standard etiquette. If your crowd always has a cash bar, go for it. If Uncle Jack  has been looking forward to the dollar dance since he got your wedding invitation since every wedding in your area always has one, go ahead and do it. 

And no, I don't have a horse in this race: they're not things I would do since they'd be considered really rude in my crowd. But if that's what your crowd expects, I'd do it. It's ridiculous to think there's really one set of rules that covers the entire country, regardless of geography, socio-economic status, cultural background, etc. There simply isn't.
  • edited April 2010
    I may have said this before, but I don't like dogs. Some of them are cute to look at, but I never want them touching me.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:4f2b9116-db4e-4249-ae0d-39adf028486c">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I may have said this before, but I don't like dogs. Some of them are cute to look at, but I never want them touching me.
    Posted by beatlesgirl25[/QUOTE]

:(
  • You're not alone, J&K. I'm going to force myself to believe that she was trying to be funny because otherwise, I've lost all faith in fancy, expensive, free masters degrees in Philosophy.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_unpopular-opinions-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7d3e4855-3517-40f0-9746-974c4e20f313Post:c6b6082b-51ce-4df3-b647-d6a83fb1ee08">Re: Unpopular Opinions.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unpopular Opinions. : Clearly you haven't been reading SB lately.  She's a peach.

I barely have time to be here, much less other boards, plus I find SB to be nothing but irksome since the real SBs flew the coop for the Caribbean.  So nope :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards