Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

To change your name or not

I was reading a thread below about the woman wondering if using mongramed stuff with her FI last name would be OK even though she wasn't changing her name. It got me thinking...

I figured I'd hyphenate my name and use my maiden name professionally and FI's last name socially. Ever since I was a kid I knew I didn't want to change my name. I'm no feminist but I just don't want to. I like my name, it connects me to my career, my community and It's mine. I feel no need to change it and to be honest I don't even want to hyphenate but am willing to do it to try and make FI feel a little better about it.

I'm not going to budge on using my maiden name professionaly and his name socially so I'm not asking for opinions on that. What I'm asking is what do you think is the best way to do it? I've heard hyphenating causes problems for people doing paperwork/data entry and such because the name can be so long. Sometimes it doesn't get entered all the way so only your maiden name will be clearly written and FI's name will be cut off.

So, would you... or did you...

Put his name first and have yours last in the hyphenation?

Put your name first and have his last in the hyphenation?

Just keep your name with no hyphenation and just go by FI's name?

Just change your name to his and use your maiden professionally?

Other?

and why?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards