Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Morning after brunch?

Necessary?  Pointless?
If necessary, invite everyone?  Wedding party/family? 
We're having a DW, so everyone is OOT.  Every wedding I've ever been to has had one, we've always been invited, but have never gone. 
We don't really want to do one, but if they're strongly encouraged we will go ahead and do it. 
Photobucket

Re: Morning after brunch?

• Options
    I have never actually heard of this.
    Since it's  a dw, I think it is a really nice idea.

How many people are attending your wedding?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had never heard of it before TK, so I'll go with pointless.  If it's expected I guess you could do it and maybe invite everyone.  Again, I have no experience with morning after brunches.

2013 Reading Challenge

2013 Reading Challenge
    Amanda (cougarette) has read 10 books toward her goal of 75 books.
    hide
  • Options
    Looks like about 70.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We had a sort-of one. H's family from OOT, H's parents/sibling and myself/H were there. It was more like a family breakfast I guess. We just went to a local restaurant, it was kind of a send-off for the OOT family.
  • Options
    nice but not necessary.  if you've never gone before, aren't morning people and/or don't have the money in the budget, no one will mind if you don't host one.
  • Options
    It's not in the budget for us to host all of our guests for breakfast. It would seriously be like hosting another reception, just in the morning, since we have so many people staying at the hotel. We're just saying, "we're having Sunday brunch at XYZ- meet up with us if you want!"
    7/10/10 imageDandy
  • Options
    We were thinking about doing something super casual in our hotel room (has full kitchen and a dining room)  and having people just stop in for eggs, bacon, pancakes, mimosa etc.  It would be nice & cheap,   but... then we'd have to make sure our room was clean, get up and cook, etc.  That would be great for like 10 people, but to invite all?  Probably a little more effort that I'm going to want to put forth...
    Photobucket
  • Options
    We had one before we left on our honeymoon with immediate family, bridal party and the family and friends who'd come to our wedding from overseas, so we'd be able to spend a bit more time with them and thank them for traveling all the way over to be with us at our wedding, before we buggared off to Quebec.
  • Options
    70 people is too many.  We were going to do a formal one, but it got too difficult to manage, so we're doing an informal one.  As in, our hotel does breakfast.  We're telling people what time we plan on eating.  It's not something we're hosting.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    We are doing this, but only with about 20 people. We are just doing it in the hotel restaraunt and saying "Be here at this time if you want to join us."
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_morning-after-brunch-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:7f727911-c376-4c2c-9486-77294077dd5cPost:ca6a13d0-f02f-4826-ac7c-ec6c188cd9a7">Re: Morning after brunch?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not in the budget for us to host all of our guests for breakfast. It would seriously be like hosting another reception, just in the morning, since we have so many people staying at the hotel. We're just saying, "we're having Sunday brunch at XYZ- meet up with us if you want!"
    Posted by mandybear7[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I was thinking about doing this too. I doubt we will have room in our budget to host brunch in the morning, but I would like it if people joined us for breakfast. My question is.. how do you make it clear that it is not a hosted event? It would be nice to spend that extra time with OOT guests. We've also thrown the idea around of just doing bagels, doughnuts, and coffee at someone's house if there is somewhere close enough (we haven't picked a venue yet).. we might be able to swing that, but I'll have to see as it gets closer.</div><div>
    </div><div>OP-IMO it is a nice gesture, but not necessary if you can't do it.</div>
  • Options
    It's not that we can't do it, we just don't really think it's necessary.  I kinda think the hosted welcome dinner and then the reception are enough, just wanted some other opinions :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    aggiebugaggiebug member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2010
    For my sisters wedding (13 yrs ago)  there was a brunch at my parents house the next day, my sister didn't show up.

Our reception will be at a hotel and 95% of my guests will be OOT and hopefully staying at the hotel.  So I am thinking of just spreading the the word of when we plan of grabbing breakfast and encouraging them to come eat with us.  Super informal.   Of course, FI has to agree to this and I have a feeling he might like room service better...

ETA my point is definitely not necessary, but you can enjoy their company without hosting a brunch
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Options
    We are having one.  I don't think of it as necessary.  It's just something we decided to do. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options

I have never heard of this in real life.  Here, the bride and groom leave for their honeymoon after the reception, so they are not available for a morning breakfast/brunch.  And the bride's parents are totally exhausted, so they don't want to host what amounts to another reception.  So it's just not done here.

• Options

For a friends wedding, the families hosted a next morning brunch, and it was for out of towners and close family to see the couple before the left on their honeymoon.  I guess you could call it more of a sending off party.

My morning after brunch will probably be pretty similar to a wedding shower - wedding party, close friends, relatives, etc and we'll be opening our presents and generally just enjoying everyone's company as a married couple.  Note that the morning after brunch is my mom's idea, and so she's planning it.  Family traditions are family traditions.  Often, I think people like to see the look on your face when you open their present, especially if it's something different from the norm or something made personally for you or something like that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards