Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

non-smoking wedding

Is it rude to enforce a non-smoking wedding?
We are having our ceremony and reception in a state park. They do allow smoking, but only in specific areas. We only have a couple of guests that smoke. For the sake of the park and the rest of the guests (and especially me) I would like to enforce a non-smoking rule.
How do I tactfully tell these people that smoking will not be allowed?
Am I being unreasonable by requesting this?

Re: non-smoking wedding

• Options
    [QUOTE]Is it rude to enforce a non-smoking wedding? <strong>YES, unless the venue prohibits it</strong>. We are having our ceremony and reception in a state park. <em>They do allow smoking, but only in specific areas. </em><strong>Well be prepared for your smoking guest to expect to be able to smoke in these areas.</strong> We only have a couple of guests that smoke. For the sake of the park and the rest of the guests (and especially me) I would like to enforce a non-smoking rule. How do I tactfully tell these people that smoking will not be allowed?<strong>Tactfully, you can't</strong> Am I being unreasonable by requesting this?
    Posted by MeeraRC[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    AlbireoAlbireo member
    First Comment
    Find a designated smoking area where they can smoke. The big exception to what everyone above is saying is that if someone has allergies, asthma or another respiratory problem, in which case smokers should understand that they're invited but it's crucial that they don't smoke.
  • Options
    I'm not sure it's rude, but I do think it's unrealistic. 

There is always the one smoker who will do the reconnaissance for the others on where they can and can not smoke.  Trust me they ALWAYS find how to light up.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    Im a smoker.   And no one tells me where i cant smoke unless there is a fine i would pay if i do.  Im respectful of the new laws but this is ridiculous.  I honestly dont know if i would come to a wedding that said i couldn't smoke if you were having a party.  thats lame.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's my husband's influence. There was a calf at the state fair named Shocker. Guess how he posed (hand only)? I posted it once for Brookelynn

Then, in Vegas, at Excalibur, there was a chair called the Shocker - a mockup of an electric chair. Yep, you got it.

He REALLY needs to get off those dirt bike forums.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Options
    Could you put a fan facing outward in the doorway just in case they smoke there?
  • Options
    laladypoetlaladypoet member
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2010
    oh you delicate little flower. you should definitely ban smokers from the wedding. the nicotine in their system and the smoke that clings to their clothing will clog up your pretty pores with cancer and swine flu and the clap and death.
  • Options
    MeeraRCMeeraRC member
    First Comment
    A fan is a great idea. Thanks ladies.
    I appreciate those of you who responded nicely and didn't use this forum to voice your hostility.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    In California, you can't smoke in most of the parks or within 10 ft of buildings... you should be fine with a fan.  Are you sure smoking is even allowed where you're getting married?
  • Options
    I'm allergic to smoke and I understand your concern. I'm not getting a sinus infection on my wedding day b/c some people have to smoke. In my case I'm so sensitive to it that my friends will tell people point blank that they have to leave. Smoking is a health risk that's why it's banned in so many public places. I'd just try to enforce, via signs, smoking areas that are further away from the food and use a fan. I'd also spread via word of mouth that due to the fact that it's in a state park that there are hefty fines for littered butts.  If it becomes an issue have a member of the wedding party sweetly remind people that the rules are strictly enforced by the venue (or your own health) and ask them to take it further away from people.
  • Options
    MeeraRCMeeraRC member
    First Comment
    I was surprised that they do allow smoking at this CA state park, but they do have two designated areas My aunt is allergic, but nothing that a Claritin won't fix. I am not trying to offend smokers, the best man and my maid of honor are smokers, but I do want everyone to be comfortable.
    I'm sure you all are right and the smoke will dissipate quickly and will barely be noticed.
    Sometimes, when you are planning a wedding, it's easier to freak out about the little stuff (smoke) than the big stuff ( I don't have a caterer yet!) 
  • Options
    If you find out any other areas where they can smoke. as in not by the open door, then let them. I'm like you and hate smoking. I don't like people I work for doing it, I have allergies. One sniff and I'm queasy. Allergy meds do not cure this. Anyway. Contact someone to see if they can do that. I'm wanting to enforce no smoking either at mine even if there is areas. I live in Washington State and laws here are nice about it, but the instant you say "no smoking" you get called the idiot. Smoking and drinking do not go hand in hand. Smoking is addictions and kills everyone's fun.
    In love since July 2010 with the man of my geeky dreams. I want to marry him by 2015. Ooooh weeee oooooh....
  • Options
    Lesa: you are in my boat. I would gladly tell folks to smoke later, not when the other people hate it.
    In love since July 2010 with the man of my geeky dreams. I want to marry him by 2015. Ooooh weeee oooooh....
  • Options
    erosempaierosempai member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2012
    randilakin: Really? You think it's wrong? What if your children, pets, husband or other family were sick of your smoking? It's common sense to listen to them if you give them second hand cancer in their lungs. I was in the second hand lane for it to, I have allergies to the smoke that even pills won't fix. Let people enjoy, not be sick cause you're addicted please.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards