North Carolina
Options

Charlotte Wedding Venues

I need some help!  I'm planning my wedding for Labor Day weekend of next year in Charlotte and am having problems finding a perfect venue.  We'll have a lot of out of town guests, and we'd love to be able to find a Catholic church and a reception site near a hotel.  With everything I've found so far, we'd need to provide transportation, or they're outrageously expensive.  Does anyone have ideas?  Help!!! 

Re: Charlotte Wedding Venues

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Megan, and welcome! You will love this board, everyone is very helpful and sweet :)

Can you give us some more details? How many guests total? What sort of venue are going for- hotel, museum, outdoor- or what kind of wedding- formal, casual, time of day? What part of Charlotte, if you have a preference?

Also, if you would like to share a price range for the venue...this would help as well, since there seems to be a whole spectrum of what brides consider expensive or budget!
    image122 Made the list!
    image 89 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    well, I am having my reception at roof with a view (clicky)  and the marriott right across the street is giving me a discount on the rooms, and they have a shuttle bus for my guest who are staying at the hotel.

Have you thought about having the reception at a hotel?  Holiday Inn (clicky) downtown is really nice. 

If I think of some more I'll let you know.  Best of luck, oh and welcome to the board.
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    st. peter's church uptown on tryon is beautiful!! near hotels and amazing areas for pictures all around the church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    St. Mary's chapel is a popular ceremony site in a good location too. It's much smaller though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto, if you're looking for no transportation between venues, I think you'd have to select something uptown- there are beautiful Catholic churches in the surrounding area, but only uptown has the proximity that it sounds like you want.

Ditto on St. Peter's- simply lovely.

Our reception in May is at the Levine Museum of the New South- again, a bit of a different venue than you may be looking for- but it's right on the light rail and right in center city, close to hotels and some of the chapels/churches.

I can rec lots of the center city venues if that's what you're looking for!
    image122 Made the list!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    megan51528megan51528 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the help!  Great ideas!  I have requested a tour of Roof with a View (looks amazing from pictures!), and the Marriott would be a pretty good hotel to go with.  I had thought about having the reception at a hotel, but the rates seem pretty pricey to me.  I would like to spend around $10,000 on the reception for about 150 people.  I had also looked at Byron's South End, since it's accessible to the light rail.  The Palmer Building was gorgeous, but I'm afraid the transportation will be an issue with the amount of out-of-town guests.

Janice, how are you transporting your out-of-town guests from the ceremony site to the reception? 

My fiance is already checking into availablity of St. Peter's.  It is pretty nice and would be great location-wise. 

We're planning on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon wedding/evening reception.  We'd like to have a dressy casual wedding--nothing too fancy.  My family is from Indiana and his is from San Francisco, so we're trying to meet in the middle of a "fried chicken on paper plates" wedding and a "black tie affair".  It'll be interesting!  Wink

Again, thanks for the help!!!!
  • Options
    SassyPants150SassyPants150 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to a reception at the Holiday Inn Center City...very nice location.  We enjoyed ourselves there!
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I love Byrons! I wanted my reception there, but a couple had booked it over two years in advance for our date! FYI, they do outside catering- Best Impressions. We are using them at the museum, and couldn't be happier with the decision.

My other suggestion for you, since really anything in Center City is close to the hotels, would be to use one of the restaurants downtown. I say that without knowing the pricing, but I'm sure if you ask them to set a menu at a certain price per head, they could. The advantage is you wouldn't need much decoratining, other than maybe centerpieces, but in a restaurant, even those can be much more understated.

I would def rec the Marriott as a hotel; I would also rec Holiday Inn (we are trying to block there, just haven't gotten around to calling!) and both Hiltons! The Hilton Center City is pretty for a reception as well, if you can't get Roof with a View. They have a lounge area outside of their upstairs ballroom, great for a cocktail hour.

Disclaimer: I am a native Charlottean and worked uptown when I first got out of school! Can you tell I miss living in center city? :)
    image122 Made the list!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm not in the CLT area, but I just wanted to say "welcome"!!!

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi Megan!  Welcome to the board and happy planning.  My Fi and I are getting married at St. Peter's this October.  It is a beautiful church and great parish!  We are having our reception at The Big Chill, which is a special events venue on Morehead Street.  We blocked rooms at the Hampton Inn-Charlotte for all of our out of town guests (which will be about 50-60% of our guests).  They have a free shuttle (within a 3 mile radius) that will provide transportation to the church and the reception.  Just a heads up-The latest wedding time at St. Peter's is 3:00 PM due to Saturday evening mass and there are no Sunday weddings.  Please let me know if there is any other information I can share. 
    Addie and Matt - October 16, 2010
  • Options
    janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_charlotte-wedding-venues?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:07c68dd8-899e-4839-94c7-947575d7f714Post:bed763b9-cf16-47cc-8ec9-df3bae6b0769">Re: Charlotte Wedding Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Janice, how are you transporting your out-of-town guests from the ceremony site to the reception?  My fiance is already checking into availability of St. Peter's.  It is pretty nice and would be great location-wise.  We're planning on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon wedding/evening reception.  
    Posted by megan51528[/QUOTE]

We are having the ceremony and reception at the same place.  So that does make it a easier for me.  But I am sure you can talk to the marriott and see if they would shuttle your guest from the church to reception.  

Also know that RWV cost more on Saturday (just like almost ever other place) The best thing about RWV (and the worse thing about it) is that they give you a room, tables and chairs... the rest is ALL up to you.  They have a list of recommendations, but you have to find your own DJ, caterers, alcohol, bartenders, coordinator, decorator, table cloths, cake, etc and in the long run you can save a lot more money then doing the "hotel" packages, but It can get kinda of stressful.

let me know if you have any other questions about RWV... G/L!
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    St. Matthews, Piper Glen CC, and Residence Inn are all within two miles of each other in Ballantyne/South Charlotte.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Megan!

Happy planning. Check out Beaver Dam historic house in Davidson.(Armin's catering rents the venue out) The local hotels provide a free shuttle to guests who book several rooms together.

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    St Matthews in Ballantyne is great- and there's the Ballantyne resort and ballantyne country club. I'm getting married at the country club, and there's a reasonably priced staybridge suites just down the road, and for those that can afford it, there's the Ballantyne Hotel.
    Hochari Tarpu chonge wanga
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards