Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Fake Flowers??

I don't know if this goes here... I haven't posted in the Etiquette section in forever.  I'm usually over on the DIY or Local boards.  Sorry if this is the wrong location

Are any of you guys using fake flowers??  Even though we're trying to save money on our flowers, I'm going to go with a wholesaler and arrange my stuff with the help of a few friends a couple of days before the wedding.

Luckily my centerpieces and Bouquet aren't that elaborate to put together so I can skip the florist bill.  BUT... I'm seeing a lot of people posting about using fake flowers.  I wouldn't have thought of doing this for a wedding.. I didn't want to sacrifice that much.

Butit has crossed my mind in the past couple of days.  I found these hydrangeas at Hobby Lobby that are exactly what I want for my reception centerpieces (see my bio) and I am having a heck of a time finding, or being able to get, anything near that color in a real flower.

It's crossed my mind that since the centerpieces will be so high (twigs with a few hydrangeas mixed in) that maybe people won't notice??

If I have to resort to the fake to pull off my color scheme... is that tacky? 

UGH... please help!   I want your honest thoughts about the whole fake flower thing.
I like dogs, but not to eat
Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

Re: Fake Flowers??

• Options
    We used fake flowers. But we only had bouts for 3 dudes and boquets for 4 ladies. Nobody really noticed and if they did, nobody really cared. 
  • Options
    Anna has really nice fakes.

What's your color scheme?

We were going to use fakes and even bought really high quality ones and I still didn't like them, especially after we did a CP mock-up. And since I can't afford flower CPs, I'm just doing candles.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_fake-flowers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:90f3a3a7-f86a-44e7-95c2-df9cc11394a4Post:2b99a4b7-e9fe-41ac-829e-9caae1604ae2">Re: Fake Flowers??</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anna has really nice fakes.
    Posted by mwhitson14[/QUOTE]

Hehe
  • Options
    Personally, I can always tell (IRL) if flowers are fakes and I think they look bad. FWIW I can almost never tell in pictures.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

scoetto - Our main colors are black and silver, but the flowers will be a deep purple, deep blue, and deep sage green.
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• Options
    I personally can't stand fake flowers, and for the price of a really nice one, it's sometimes even more than real flowers.  I was a BM a few years back where we had (hideous) fake bouquets and after a couple of years I tossed it because I didn't know what to do with it.  What else can you use in your color scheme? What is the scheme?
    2 of us- a bunch of you! Celebrating the whole night through!
  • Options
    angned... If I had to be a theme...it'd be crystals... but I'm going to use black and silver as my "base colors"..I even thought about using a Damask pattern in places if it wasn't going to be overboard, but I wanted to through three other colors in with flowers

I have thought about skipping the centerpiece flowers all together if we went with our "potted flower" favor idea.  We would still use are "stick and crystal" centerpieces in the center though.

We're thinking about giving each guest a "chalk board" painted flower pot with maybe a lavender Azalea inside.  We'd write personal thanks on the pots that they could erase later.

I kinda like this idea because it does double duty as decor and favors.  :)
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• Options
    That is a cute idea. Just make sure they know they can take them.  I am not a fan of favors because they get left behind and thrown away, but those are dual useful.
  • Options
    Thanks!  I can't believe you were able to make sense of that last post of mine... haha  I seriously need to proof read before I post.

Talking on the phone at the same time doesn't help... why can't work leave me alone?  I'm trying to plan a wedding! 
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• Options

i used fakes for my centerpices and real for my boquets.  Since they were submerged, you couldnt really tell the difference. Even my mom didn't know they were fake!

• Options
    well, I sorta half read stuff and make my own sense of it sometimes, so it made sense to me :)
  • Options

Koopa, you dirty, dirty girl. ;)

(Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    Fake flowers just are not flowers imo. I really dislike them. I also hate how they're just a bunch of landfill garbage after the wedding (unless you go to the trouble, and manage to find someone willing to use the exact same color/style for their wedding). Real ones are biodegradable.
  • Options
    agreed sparrow!
  • Options
    I like my fake flowers.  Unless everyone lied to me, the guests didn't even know they were silk.  We did silver branches with some red accent flowers for our centerpieces and i think they turned out pretty well.
  • Options
    I had fake flowers in my centerpieces, but they were submersed in water and I personally really liked them, under the water it magnified the look but you couldn't see the true details of things like the plastic stem.  You would have to get a really nice fake if it were a flower sticking out of the vase. 
  • Options
    i would know. real hydrangea are more muted than those you have in your bio. the ones we had for our centerpieces ended up being much lighter than i wanted, but they were still gorgeous and real! i always say that when in doubt, stick with real ones!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards