Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Return gifts?

So my fiance and I went to a wedding 6 1/2 months ago.  Now, we just found out that the bride was cheating since even before the wedding.  Nice, right?  Now they're separated, but dating... whatever.  Jokingly, I said they should return the gifts they received since the gifts were meant for them to start a life together... but they're not together anymore (kinda).  What do you think?

Re: Return gifts?

• Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, they got married, so no, they aren't under an obligation to return gifts.  The rule is that you shouldn't use gifts until the wedding just in case something happens and it is cancelled, because then you are supposed to return them.  So if they are already married, they have already used the gifts and there's really no point.

ETA:  couples who divorce after 15 years don't return gifts. I don't see why it would be any different for a 6-month marriage. 
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    If they're still married and planning on staying together to work things out, fine. If they are going to divorce and then "date", then yes, they should return the gifts. At least, I've heard that if the couple divorces within a year, it's proper to return them.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with heels - they got married so you don't get the gifts back. I hope they can work it out.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Well, the wedding occurred, so etiquette-wise, they're entitled to keep the wedding gifts.  It's really no one's business, in my opinion. 
  • Options
    I ditto the others.  The wedding happened so they aren't obligated to return the gifts.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    They actually did get married so they don't have to return them.

She sounds like she's no one to brag about but the gifts get to be kept.
  • Options

They get to keep them, but I'd be annoyed too!

• Options
    Jenna - that pretty much sums it up.  I definitely won't be calling them to demand my gift back, but it's still annoying.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards