Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

What does everyone think about this?

Basically, Hooters told a girl to get back in shape or be fired.  They gave her a free gym membership to do it.   Is this ok?  Is this not ok?

http://www.lemondrop.com/2010/05/20/hooters-forcing-fit-waitress-to-lose-weight/

Discuss?

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."

Re: What does everyone think about this?

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I didnt read it but I saw it briefly online last night. From the size I recall her being, shes not even close to overweight, so I think thats well out of line - BUT she works in an industry where looks are a big part of the job so it is probably expected that she look a certain way and maintain a certain body physique. I dont really know how I feel about it, but I think thats atleast nice of hooters to pay for the gym membership, I guess?
  • Options
    I think if they're going to require a certain standard of health from their employees, they should offer gym memberships to everyone. 

BTW- this kind of ruins the good image the CEO was trying to create when he went on that show.
  • Options
    I agree thats the work place that they chose to be in, I wouldnt like it but i am overweight
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This really sucks, I guess I can give up my dream to work at Hooters.  I'm 5'10" and 130lbs.

If this was a law firm or advertising agency I would be outraged, but what Hooters sells more than wings is sex appeal.

I know I might get flamed but I wonder if when they hired her looks/weight were a part of the interview process.

• Options
    I think it's terrible that these kind of societal expectations exist, but yes, as a private company, you have to play by their rules if you want to work there.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I don't think this is anywhere close to being ok. But I really, really hate Hooters.

However, I plan on opening a "Peckers" franchise. All the men will also have fitness requirements and the interview process will be intense. We will also have delish wings. Anyone want in on this?
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    I agree with Hooters.  I think a company who's entire business is centered around a certain image has every right to expect it's employees to maintain that image.  And the employees should go into it expecting they will have to.  Along with a willingness to wear skimpy outfits, you should also expect to maintain a superior level of fitness and attractiveness because that is what is required of you.  If you don't want to do that, don't take the job.   It would be no different than a gym hiring a personal trainer that would let themselves go.  They are no longer promoting the image of the business they work for. 

That being said, I think 130 pounds on a 5'8 girl might be pushing it a tad.  I can't imagine she looks overweight or even slightly pudgy.  But the idea behind it I don't think is out of line at all. 

"Whatever East. You're just mad I RSVP'd "lame" to your pre-wedding sleepover."
  • Options
    [QUOTE]I don't think this is anywhere close to being ok. But I really, really hate Hooters. However, I plan on opening a "Peckers" franchise. All the men will also have fitness requirements and the interview process will be intense. We will also have delish wings. Anyone want in on this?
    Posted by FutureMsAlexander[/QUOTE]

Ooh I am as long as the men have to wear banana hammocks!!! Oh and if they have the intelligence of the men of Jersey Shore even better!
  • Options
    I also read somewhere that their uniforms come in 3 sizes: small, extra small, and double extra small. Someone explain that one to me.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_everyone-think-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9b990b83-757c-4250-b1f0-e2fbf5047f75Post:cc6ba19f-ca81-4a62-aa66-f7b9d7a01734">Re: What does everyone think about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ooh I am as long as the men have to wear banana hammocks!!! Oh and if they have the intelligence of the men of Jersey Shore even better!
    Posted by SheDiva4[/QUOTE]

I'm on the fence. It's either going to be Chip-n-Dale's attire and sleaze or well dressed, educated men that greet patrons by asking how their day went.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_everyone-think-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9b990b83-757c-4250-b1f0-e2fbf5047f75Post:f28d83e6-0572-442f-9810-6aef19c2ed39">Re: What does everyone think about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think this is anywhere close to being ok. But I really, really hate Hooters. However, I plan on opening a "Peckers" franchise. All the men will also have fitness requirements and the interview process will be intense. We will also have delish wings. Anyone want in on this?

I want in!!!

I remember reading about this in Seventeen magazine years ago.  Some chicks were pissed off that their high school was allowing boys to wear "Hooters" shirts to school.  So they started up a business called "C*ck's" with some kind of clever, reverse-chauvinistic slogan, which they printed on t-shirts and wore to school.  I think they all ended up getting in trouble.  What a world we live in.
  • Options
    Did she think about possibly gaining weight when she was hired based on her looks? Or did she go into the job thinking she'd been hired because of her experience/capabilities alone? I'm betting she celebrated that she was hot enough to be a Hooters Girl. Hooters stands for tits, and she knew going in she had to be hot enough to pull off orange panty shorts and a skin tight top. They're holding her to their orange panty short standards, which haven't changed since she was hired. She changed, not them.

Hooters disgusts me for several reasons, but if you're being treated douchily by a douchey set of orange panty standards you pretty much knew what you were getting into when you were hired. Suck it up or go work for a better company. One that requires actual clothing for uniforms.
  • Options
    [QUOTE] well dressed, educated men that greet patrons by asking how their day went.Posted by FutureMsAlexander[/QUOTE]

Now if that was the case my FI will know where all our money is going. <strong> "Every girl is crazy about a sharp dressed man"  ZZ Top
    </strong>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_everyone-think-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:9b990b83-757c-4250-b1f0-e2fbf5047f75Post:6befc9a4-c431-4327-9289-59d46393c5da">Re: What does everyone think about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did she think about possibly gaining weight when she was hired based on her looks? Or did she go into the job thinking she'd been hired because of her experience/capabilities alone? I'm betting she celebrated that she was hot enough to be a Hooters Girl. Hooters stands for tits, and she knew going in she had to be hot enough to pull off orange panty shorts and a skin tight top. They're holding her to their orange panty short standards, which haven't changed since she was hired. She changed, not them. Hooters disgusts me for several reasons, but if you're being treated douchily by a douchey set of orange panty standards you pretty much knew what you were getting into when you were hired. Suck it up or go work for a better company. One that requires actual clothing for uniforms.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

Yep.  I agree.

I think it sucks, but there is NO WAY she didn't know this going into it.
  • Options
    it depends.

if the position requires her to be a certain size, and its documented in the company policies, and she signed somethign saying she would be within a certain weight guideline as a requirement of her employment, then its legit.  For example, flight attendants need to be within a certain size as its required to be able to do the job and move through the aisles, etc.  but hooters would have to have hard facts as to why a size guideline is necessary for the job.  looking sexy probably doesnt cut it.

however, i'm guessing hooters isnt that specific, in which case, this is illegal and she could probably get a very nice chunk of change from a lawsuit.
  • Options
    I agree with East entirely. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    Just throwing this out there to people who think its NOT okay:  would it be okay if the girl was a stripper?  or even a model or actress I guess?

I think I have minimal sympathy for girls who work at Hooters to begin with.
    226 Invitedimage 153 Are Ready to Partyimage 68 Are Washing Their Hairimage 5 Better Not Make Me Hunt Them Downimage RSVP Date: June 15
    July 10, 2010
    imageimage
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_everyone-think-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9b990b83-757c-4250-b1f0-e2fbf5047f75Post:8cd748e4-d0c1-4195-b6c1-3a57bec3bb5c">Re: What does everyone think about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think about this? : I'm on the fence. It's either going to be Chip-n-Dale's attire and sleaze or well dressed, educated men that greet patrons by asking how their day went.

Put these together my friend! I want sleazy dressed well educated men. They should be able to hold a five minute conversation on anything and they must all be active in a gym and a charity.  Oh man I really want to go to this restaurant.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_everyone-think-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9b990b83-757c-4250-b1f0-e2fbf5047f75Post:553946b2-a8b7-446c-b886-fc6e272e2def">Re: What does everyone think about this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What does everyone think about this? : Put these together my friend! I want sleazy dressed well educated men. They should be able to hold a five minute conversation on anything and they must all be active in a gym and a charity.  Oh man I really want to go to this restaurant.
    Posted by Aedes*[/QUOTE]

I think you're right. It should be a hit.
  • Options
    I love that this is at a Hooters in Michigan, cause I'll be honest.  The one time I've been to Hooters in South Bend, IN, the girls were um... not thin.  At. All.

They were also, not pretty.  They were trashy pretty, but not standard pretty.
  • Options
    late

I agree with Hooters but 5'8" and 130 pounds is pretty lightweight

i'm 5'8" and 120 pounds and i look waaay too thin.  i'm working on gaining at least 10 pounds
  • Options
    LD1970LD1970 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    The articles say she's LOST ten pounds since she started working there, not gained.

And no job should force anyone to be underweight.  Fit is one thing.  Underweight is not fit.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    tlv204tlv204 member
    First Comment
    Ditto sarah numbers. And ditto that they are entertainers. I've always assumed that Hooters is legally perfectly within their rights to judge their prospective employees by looks, otherwise they'd be out of business by now. They also only hire females. GASP!   Anyway I just don't think Hooters is a big deal in general and know that they are legally able to require things like fitness of their employees.

But definitely ditto that this girl does not sound overweight at all.

Do Hooters girls get fired if they get pregnant? I've always wondered that.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards