Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Sister of The Groom

Hey y'all,

I'm a newbie...kinda sorta. I used to post on these boards fairly frequently, under a different name.

I have a quick question. Serious answers please...I don't really need any snarky comments.

Do I need to have FI's sister as a bridesmaid? We're not close, by any means. We've spoken a few times, and we only speak when FI and I go over to visit his mom. (She still lives at home). She's close to my age, within a year or two.

I don't know what the propoer etiquette is, and I don't want to offend her. FI's older brother's wife had his sister in her wedding a few years ago, and they weren't close at the time either. So, I almost feel obligated.

And if I should ask her, do I need to include his sister in law as well? She and I are actually closer than his sister and I. I realize that if I don't ask his sister, I shouldn't ask his sister in law. Kind of an all or nothing deal, I would assume.

Any advice would be helpful!

TIA ladies!

Oh, and bonus points for anyone who can guess who I was when I used to frequent these boards.

Re: Sister of The Groom

• Options
    You can choose whoever you want to for your bridal party. No obligations.

I've only met FI's sister three times, but I thought it would be a nice gesture since she'll be around forever, and we decided to include all our siblings in the bridal party (we each have 3). She was really flattered and excited when I asked her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_sister-of-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:9bea597d-e623-4f36-8a84-d9c93e342ce6Post:5d52b2f7-5f0f-434a-b74a-ae9ae608b422">Re: Sister of The Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]TR, your FSIL is a hooker?
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

Um, yeah, for a little while she was.  True story.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    It's definitely not necessary.  As long as it doesn't create any drama between you and your FI, I wouldn't be too concerned with how it will make her feel.
  • Options
    If you had visited frequently don't you think you'd know the answer to this question?
  • Options
    If you had visited frequently don't you think you'd know the answer to this question?

No, I don't. I didn't read every single post, believe it or not. And my ex-FI didn't have any sisters, so I didn't have this issue before, nor did I care to read posts about this topic since it didn't pertain to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards