Wedding Etiquette Forum

Divorced, sort of live together, same last name - how to address invite?

Here's a weird one:  My grandparents are divorced but have lived together for almost 40 years post-divorce.  My grandmother technically has her own apartment, but she has a bedroom at my grandfathers house and my parents say to just send one invite for both of them to his house.  They do everything together (and we suspect they might be boning but we aren't asking because, you know, grandparents, gross), so how should I address this invitation?

Re: Divorced, sort of live together, same last name - how to address invite?

• i would do separate invites sent to their residences.  If grandma is staying at grandpa's most of the time and getting her mail there, then send her own invite there.
  • If they do everything together, including going to social events, and appear to be a couple, I would invite them together.  
  • Since it sounds like THEY don't acknowledge their relationship, I'd send separate invites.  Send hers to wherever she gets her regular mail.
  • I would defer to my parents on this one.  If they think it is best to send one, I'd send one.

I had a similar (opposite) situation with my H's grandparents.  They are still married, but haven't stayed in the same place in 40 years.  They don't even live in the same country.  I defered to MIL's opinion, because they are her parents, and she knows what they would prefer.
  • I'd also defer to your parents. They certainly know your grandparents and what they would finad acceptable better than any of us could.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_divorced-sort-of-live-together-same-last-name-how-to-address-invite?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a18efb3f-4e6f-4f36-bf4c-4cbf8a8db3acPost:315efbdb-e622-4017-9621-55ea41c68ac2">Re: Divorced, sort of live together, same last name - how to address invite?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since it sounds like THEY don't acknowledge their relationship, I'd send separate invites.  Send hers to wherever she gets her regular mail.
    Posted by Loopyseven[/QUOTE]

this!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If they have two separate mailing addresses, then send them each their own. I think that solves things quite simply.
  • I had a similar situation with one of my MIL's friends. One of her best friends is divorced but still lives with her ex husband and they share the same last name. My MIL insisted I send the invitation to "Mr & Mrs. Last Name." Not sure if this was accurate but I couldn't come up with the answer myself. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards