Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Poll on a Strapless Dress in a Catholic Wedding

I’m curious- what are your thoughts on strapless bridal gowns in a Catholic wedding. If you had a choice, would you go conservative, or not?

Re: Poll on a Strapless Dress in a Catholic Wedding

• Options
    This would probably sit better on the Catholic board(Under Cultural ), simply because there are rules that non-Catholics wouldn't be familiar with. :)
  • Options
    I would wear one but have a shawl or bolero or something that I could wear during the ceremony.

• Options
    It depends on the priest.  Most of the priests I know don't care if the dress is strapless as long as the neckline is modest and the back isn't completely exposed.  Some priests, though, ask that you wear a wrap or a shrug to cover your bare shoulders.

I grew up in an extremely conservative (fashion-wise) family, so for my Catholic ceremony, my mother insisted that I wear a bolero over my shoulders.  Which I would have done anyway, since I hate my shoulders.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I got married in a Catholic church and wore a strapess gown.  I don't know if it's just the priest who didn't care, because myself and 2 of my friend's got married in the same church by him and we all wore strapless with no problems.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

If the church frowns upon it, then it would be disrespectful to do so.  I honestly don't get why god apparently hates shoulders, but whatever.  If you want to be married in a church, you have to wear what the church tells you is appropriate. 

• Options
    I think it depends on what the rules at that particular church are. And what the dress looks like. There are tons of tasteful strapless dresses. You could also probably find a dress with full legnth sleeves that made you look like a floozie if you tried hard enough.
  • Options
    Yeah, this is very church-dependent.  I am getting married in a Catholic church with a strapless dress, so clearly I have no problem with it.  I think I found a strapless dress in which I look church appropriate.

Some churches *do* have a problem with it, however, and you need to honor this.  This topic is the subject of somewhat heated discussion on the Catholic Weddings board.
  • Options
    It depends on the church and the priest.  My friend picked out a beautiful spaghetti strap gown and the priest still told her to "cover up and be modest".  My friend's ex-wife marched (ok, more like stormed) down the aisle in a strapless gown with her tattoos showing and that priest had no issue with it.  It's totally church/priest dependent, so definitely ask what is respectful in that parish and to that priest.
    4/29/12
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_poll-strapless-dress-catholic-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a65edc9e-8164-4eb6-978e-1b140838a4e9Post:96db3369-13f7-45e6-b851-5f91a3da483f">Re: Poll on a Strapless Dress in a Catholic Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]If the church frowns upon it, then it would be disrespectful to do so. <strong> I honestly don't get why god apparently hates shoulders,</strong> but whatever.  If you want to be married in a church, you have to wear what the church tells you is appropriate. 
    Posted by The Mel and Todd Show[/QUOTE]
    <3
  • Options

I think point is that exposing a large portion of your body is not considered to be in line with the respect that you should have of your body in a sacred bulding based on many priests.

Beyond that, there are the times that strapless or low-cut dresses simply bare too much. Your priest will be standing over the two of you and well - that's just not the view to give.

Some parishes are more conservative than others.  When I went to the Mass where DH's grandparents renewed their vows for their 65th, the Mass was in Latin and in addition to no bare shoulders, some women even wore head coverings. 

Where I was married, we were requested to not wear low cut or shoulder bearing dresses OR to cover shoulders if we did.  My dress was fine (see siggy pic) but my BMs had linen shawls.

• Options
    I've attended a huge number of  Catholic weddings and I've never seen anyone who looked slutty in their strapless gown.  M wore a gorgeous gown that was strapless and the priest had no obection.

But Calypso thinks that only harlots wear strapless.

:shrug:

I do think that many of the low V neck or halter tops with a plunge are far more revealing.
  • Options
    OOT - I like you, but I think Calypso as adquately apologized for the harlot comment.  It was a bad comment, and she knows it.  I disagree with her on strapless dresses, but really think we should let the harlot thing go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards