Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Vera Bradley Poll

I got an XL duffel bag and it was rather large, so I'm thinking about getting the Grand Traveler as another option. However, the pattern I got in the duffel is regular price, but there are some sale patterns that are cute as well. It's about a $50 difference. Would you pay full price to get the matching pattern, or would you get another pattern to save money?

Re: Vera Bradley Poll

• Options
    Since I'm on my phone, I can't see the poll. But I would save money. I tried to keep all my Vera Bradley in the same pattern, but eventually patterns would get discontinued and I had to give that goal up. Now, I just buy patterns in the same color scheme so it still matches. It sounds like I way overthink this lol.
  • Options
    I kind of like the idea of mismatched things like that. I think regular luggage is a different story, but you can totally travel with both bags in different patterns because they match with out actually matching, if that makes any sense. Maybe you can go with a similar color scheme if you're concerned about it. I definitely wouldn't spend the extra money if there was a sale pattern I liked though.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'm all about the same pattern. Not having the same pattern feels to me like " I can't afford to buy matching luggage, I got all of these as gifts." If it were me, I'd spend the 50 bones.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    After shipping costs, it comes to a $38 difference :)
  • Options
    Can someone explain the appeal of Vera Bradley to me? I don't really get it.
  • Options
    I would probably get the sale one if I liked it just as much as the other pattern.

I used to have all matching Vera Bradley stuff, but the color I used got discontinued, so now I have 2 different patterns that I use. It doesn't bother me as much as I thought, and I'm usually really big on stuff matching.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Snippy, I didn't get it for awhile. However, I got tired of lugging my heavy luggage around and decided that the fabric style luggage that VP uses would be good for weekend travel. You can also wash it in the washer apparently.
  • Options
    I'm not big on matching everything, but that's probably a function of my being a student and thus cheeeeeeeeeeeep. Anything Vera I have comes from Black Friday sales at Hallmark (which are *amazing*, by the way) and the soon-to-be discontinued patterns are cheaper still, so no matchy matchy for me.

Long story short, I'd probably elect to save the $38, but it's not *that* much, so if you like matching, go for it.
  • Options
    Huh. That's why I have a light travel bag for short trips and heavy duty stuff for super travel. But I honestly just can't handle her patterns.

WHICH, btw, I had to use vaccuum bags to fit everything in, and even then, it was close when I packed on Friday.
  • Options
    I'm not a fan of the VB stuff either, not my style.  However, also consider - how often will you use both pieces at the same time.  It sounds like you're getting the smaller one as an either/or thing, so who cares if it matches or not?
  • Options
    I'd probably spring for the extra $38. But I'm a matching fiend.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vera-bradley-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6ded466-e78e-46e3-ad89-b4ff885a3607Post:21051b38-6d73-4a08-a3b7-8a3e228a86c5">Re: Vera Bradley Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vera Bradley Poll : I don't either.  I just don't get fabric luggage.  Our Tumi is lighweight and has wheels.  And when La Guardia destroyed the zipper on one, Tumi replaced it at no charge even though it was baggage handling's fault.  Maybe I'm just old but those patterns are just as fugly now as in the 80's.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Well not everyone has to like it.
  • Options
    Tumi replaces stuff with no charge because it's crazy expensive, so they give you good customer service (I'm not judging, I have a Riley & Briggs bag, but not everyone's going to drop that kind of money on luggage). I don't think suggesting Tumi to someone who's looking at saving $50 on Vera Bradley is a particularly relevant comment anymore than it makes sense to answer "what color should I paint my Civic" with "well I don't get Civics, but my Ferrari is fire engine red."

Birdie, if you just have these two bags, I'd get whatever pattern. If you have a whole collection, I'd maybe worry more about it, although it also depends on how much the other patterns look like they coordinate.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vera-bradley-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6ded466-e78e-46e3-ad89-b4ff885a3607Post:53c64631-3be6-4508-b8a4-375cfd359129">Re: Vera Bradley Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bird, I'm like Fish with matching things and I'd spend the $50.  If you can't match, coordinate.  <strong>I figure since you're already getting your second VB, you dig it, and you don't need to hear ZOMG HIDEOUS BLECH.  Just my opinion, of course.</strong>
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Thanks. I try to not tell people the things they like are fugly if they aren't asking for my opinion on it.

And I did buy the matching pattern. That isn't fugly.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, I love the VB bag I have. I think it's super cute and convenient for weekend trips.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Which pattern did you get?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vera-bradley-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6ded466-e78e-46e3-ad89-b4ff885a3607Post:f505e194-240e-4285-81b8-914724b0a67e">Re: Vera Bradley Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]No offense meant, Birdie.  I'm just with Snip on the I don't get it train.  If you take the VB element out of it, yes, I'd spend the extra money to get a matching set.  
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

<div>I "don't get" a lot of things, it doesn't mean I call them fugly.</div><div>
    </div><div>Birdie I'm a big fan of Vera.  I don't like every pattern and am picky about what I carry, but I really like her stuff.  I have a lot still, and used to have way more before selling it on eBay.  Did you try looking on there for the bag in your pattern?  </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I am a huuugeee fan of her luggage.  I have the big rolling duffle suitcase thing that I got on sale, and it's in yellow bird.  I'm not crazy about that pattern, but I couldn't beat the price and it was the only one the store had.  I absolutely love that i know instantly that it's my bag the second it start coming through the belt, and there is never any questions.  </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Both of my pieces are in Suzani.

I'm not a huge fan of her patterns too, but the style of luggage is what I wanted at the price and quality that I wanted for weekend travel.

Beach, I didn't think to look at eBay beforehand, but it looks like I wouldn't have been able to save that much money there. I decided to just spend the extra $38 and look like an adult with matching luggage. :) I spend that money without a thought in other places, I don't know why I obsess over it with stuff like this.
  • Options
    I like that pattern.

I'm with you in that I don't like all of her patterns. I tend to buy pieces in a few patterns, but I am definitely a fan of matching luggage.

I like the purses because they seem to be the right size, and the pockets are always where I want them. I have about four Hipsters, since they're perfect for me. This summer, my mom bought me the Little Betsy in Lemon Parfait, and I love it, too.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vera-bradley-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6ded466-e78e-46e3-ad89-b4ff885a3607Post:a2ebe429-c379-4273-990a-d3951df3b810">Re: Vera Bradley Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Both of my pieces are in Suzani. I'm not a huge fan of her patterns too, but the style of luggage is what I wanted at the price and quality that I wanted for weekend travel. Beach, I didn't think to look at eBay beforehand, but it looks like I wouldn't have been able to save that much money there. I decided to just spend the extra $38 and look like an adult with matching luggage. :)<strong> I spend that money without a thought in other places, I don't know why I obsess over it with stuff like this.</strong>
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

<div>I do that all the time, and it drives me nuts when I think about the reasoning.  For example, between going out to dinner with friends on Thursday and Friday I spent almost $40 and didn't bat an eye at it, but I would have been struggling with this decision just like you were.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I struggled with buying a .99 cent ipad app that I use everyday.

I'm a moron.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vera-bradley-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6ded466-e78e-46e3-ad89-b4ff885a3607Post:8f46b157-fb88-4d0b-9492-e7b1c1c45823">Re: Vera Bradley Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Beach, are those frenchies?!  My mom got me a set of frenchie bookends for xmas.  Except that we had (at the time) an english bulldog.  Oops.  You want a frenchie bookend?  Seriously.  I have no idea what I'm going to do with it and it's pretty cute.Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

Does anyone else see the irony in this?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_vera-bradley-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:a6ded466-e78e-46e3-ad89-b4ff885a3607Post:21051b38-6d73-4a08-a3b7-8a3e228a86c5">Re: Vera Bradley Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vera Bradley Poll : I don't either.  I just don't get fabric luggage.  Our Tumi is lighweight and has wheels.  And when La Guardia destroyed the zipper on one, Tumi replaced it at no charge even though it was baggage handling's fault.  Maybe I'm just old but those patterns are just as fugly now as in the 80's.
    Posted by jcbsjr[/QUOTE]

<div>Pretty much this.  I think VB is fug.  So I would pay $0.</div>
  • Options
    I don't like it when my stuff matches, so I'm all about buying different VB patterns regardless of the price.
  • Options
    Who the foff cares whether you think it's ugly and don't get it? I honestly hate saying something is rude, but I really do think it's rude to say all that. ugh.
  • Options
    Vera is so ugly. WHY WOULD YOU WANT IT ANYWAY!?!?

I'm totally kidding. I have all sorts of Vera bags, but no luggage. I want luggage. Anyone wanna buy me some luggage? Oh and I vote matching if it's a sub $100 difference.
  • Options
    I don't get Vera Bradley.  So sue me. I also don't get why H loves Tumi luggage, Boq accessories, or anyone who loves Coach stuff. It's just a name and it means nothing to me. I don't understand people's obsessions with named stuff. Why does it matter if the bag is VB or some other kind of bag with patterns on it?  I don't think it matters at all.  What's with the name dropping? 

Which isn't to say that I think Birdie was sitting there like "Oh it's Veeeera daaaaahling."  It's more that when this kind of thing pops up, I, in all honesty, do not GET the name thing. 

I have 'named' stuff, but I don't wander around talking about my 700 dollar Furla bag, or the 300 dollar Donna Karan bag because it just doesn't mean anything to me.  (Course, I also didn't buy either of those because I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for stuff). 

So my asking Birdie what it was about is me trying to figure out why people go all gaga over this stuff.
  • Options
    Snippy, I don't think anyone was making a big deal of the name. It's just that VB is kind of it's own thing so it's easy to just call it what it is. If Birdie had asked "I'm bought one loudly patterned piece of luggage made of quilted cotton and I'm thinking of getting another, should I get the same noticable trademark pattern or another that's cheaper?" people would just be like "Huh, do you mean Vera Bradley?"

But anyway. I think Vera is it's own thing. It isn't like someone talking about how their black COACH leather purse is better or different than my no name black leather purse.

And all that said, I don't really go in for VB either. But I do love Longchamp, another controversial handbag choice, haha.
  • Options
    Vera Bradley is now made in China.  You can get similar bags, made in the USA, manufactured by Stephanie Dawn.  I bought several of these for Christmas presents. 

http://stephaniedawn.net/Stephanie_Dawn.html

• Options
    It is it's own thing IMO and I'm new to it, so I wasn't sure if I was making a VB faux pas by having a mismatched set.

And I considered getting another quilted duffel bag I found on Amazon, but didn't recognize the brand name and couldn't be sure of the quality. VB isn't high end luggage, but it's been made forever, so I know it won't fall apart on me after a few trips.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards