Wedding Etiquette Forum

Link to wedding website on Facebook?

Is this done? Not many of my friends have gotten married, so I just haven't really seen if this is normal or not. I also don't spend that much time on Facebook, but for some people it's the only way I have of contacting them. I'm having a fairly small wedding, so most of my friends on Facebook aren't going to be invited, but I thought it would be a nice way to at least share stuff about us and after the wedding, to share the pictures. Is this a bad idea? Thoughts?

Re: Link to wedding website on Facebook?

• Just...don't. For so many reasons. If you want to share pictures after, just make albums. The people who want to see them will look.
  • There's no reason to post your wedding website on FB if the majority of your FB friends won't be invited. It's like, "Oh, come check out my party that you're not invited to." Don't do it, it's not nice.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I've thought about doing that, but decided not to. I would be concerned that my FB friends who are not invited might take that to mean that they are invited... and could lead to some awkward conversations. I think it's best to save the website only for those you actually plan to invite. 

Could you just send a private message to those FB friends with a link?
  • I had mine on there, but most of my friends that were invited were OOT, so it was an easy way for them to have the info.

But I would be selective with what you include on there.
  • I wouldn't do it. I would start a private group for your friends who are invited to the wedding and you can put some wedding info on there, if necessary.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa66c9c2-daf5-4824-9972-1cc3aead6391Post:674a0139-b480-4e63-90e9-9cea7b95f07c">Re: Link to wedding website on Facebook?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had mine on there, but most of my friends that were invited were OOT, so it was an easy way for them to have the info. But I would be selective with what you include on there.
    Posted by JessAndTrav[/QUOTE]

It may not be the popular vote here, but I did this too. I know people who I am friendly with but I am not invited to their wedding and they are not invited to ours. I still like to see their wedding website. It doesn't bother me at all.
  • I wouldn't do it if most of your friends on FB aren't invited.  It might be a little harder this way, but you could possibly hurt feelings if those people thought they would be invited.
    Heather and Tom 10.10.10 10.10.10 - Tom and Heather Sitting on the Dock
  • Just send the link via FB message to the friends who are invited, and if anyone else (who isn't invited) asks if you have a wedding website, then of course feel free to share it.

There are lots of ways to use Facebook to contact folks that don't involve posting something for all and sundry to see. You could also contact them via FB and get their real email adresses.. you'll need to get their actual addresses soon enough anyway.

• I wouldn't do it because it could very easily lead people who aren't invited to think they are invited.  Even if you send it to just a private group, if they comment about it on your page, others may see it and realize that they don't have the address or ask for it, and you shouldn't be giving it out to people who won't be invited.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I posted a link to mine, but I buried it with a bunch of crap on my info page rather than putting it in my quote box.

Stop The Drama!

image Love people. Use things. Never confuse the two.
  • I wouldn't put it on there if you have FB friends that aren't invited.  

I put an album of wedding pics up after the fact.  If anyone was curious, they can look at that.  I seriously doubt anyone not invited wants to go look at a website full of driving directions and hotel info.  
  • I'm going to go with the minority vote as well and say it's totally fine.  

If I saw a post on someone's Facebook of a link to their wedding site or any other party for that matter, I would never think I was invited, particularly if I hardly know the person.  The average person has hundreds of friends on Facebook.  Would someone honestly think a link on a profile applies to them personally?

When someone who you haven't seen since 4th grade has a status that says "Come to my birthday party tonight!", I certainly don't feel obligated to show up.

When I get an all-friend invite from a kid I went to summer camp with in my teens to a group entitled "Oops--I dropped my phone in the toliet and need numbers," I don't give out my number.

You get the idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa66c9c2-daf5-4824-9972-1cc3aead6391Post:95b1d881-382f-479f-af82-f37daeece12d">Re: Link to wedding website on Facebook?</a>:
    [QUOTE]IWhen someone who you haven't seen since 4th grade has a status that says "Come to my birthday party tonight!", I certainly don't feel obligated to show up. 
    Posted by LaurenAnn4[/QUOTE]

<div>Of course it doesn't mean you are obligated.  It means you are invited.  An invitation is not a subpoena.  </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-website-facebook?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:aa66c9c2-daf5-4824-9972-1cc3aead6391Post:6bb6b9e3-6284-44a1-8558-860be4d9a7c7">Re: Link to wedding website on Facebook?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Link to wedding website on Facebook? : Of course it doesn't mean you are obligated.  It means you are invited.  An invitation is not a subpoena.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]

Perhaps "obligated" was the wrong word choice to convey my point.  If I saw something like that on Facebook from a person I wasn't close to, I would be aware that it does not apply directly to me and was meant for others or for my general knowledge of the fact that it is occurring.  Much like how a wedding website would be viewed by an long-lost acquaintance on the site.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards