Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Groom's Gift??

I just found out that you are supposed to get your future husband a wedding gift. My questions are 1) When do you give them the gift? 2) What are some ideas of gifts? I wanted to get something that was thoughtful, not materialistic. We are big movie go-ers. So I was thinking of getting him a copy of the movie we first saw together on DVD and getting him a nice card with the movie stub attached in the card. The date of the movie stub is 10 years to the date we are getting married. I was also thinking of getting him some nice personalized cufflinks for the day of the wedding..I'm trying to think of some other things, do you ladies have any ideas you can give me?? THANK YOU!

Re: Groom's Gift??

• Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited March 2013
    First correction.  You do not have to get him a gift.  This is completely optional and is not required.

1) You can give it to him whenever you want but most people would have the gift delivered to him the day of the wedding.

2) Get him something that he would appreciate and like.  I think what you described sounds like are very nice and personal present that he would really like.  You don't need to go overboard so I think you should stick with what you have.

• Options
    I think if we do gifts (we only kind of talked about it) I'm getting him nice cigars or a bottle of whiskey. It's something we both enjoy, so I'm fairly confident that I could pick the right brand cigar or whiskey. If we don't do gifts we're doing a private wine box ceremony thing before the ceremony with just the two of us - we might consider that our gift to each other too, depending on the wine. But gifts are not necessary. What you said in your OP sounds lovely.
  • Options
    Gifts are not required, but you should probably talk to your FI and decide together whether you're getting gifts. You don't want either of you to feel bad because one of you got a gift and the other didn't (not everyone will feel that way, of course, but better to avoid it at all).

You can give it whenever you want. My now H got me a beluga encounter, which we did two days before the wedding. I gifted him penguins at our wedding, so he saw them at the reception and thought they were awesome. We did experiences which was really fun, but if we had done something physical it would have been much smaller gifts. 
  • Options
    Like everyone said, gifts aren't necessary. But I do think the DVD & movie ticket stub with a card is a lovely gift!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It sounds like an awesome idea to me!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    201 Invited image 139 Attending image 20 Declined image 42 Are making me wait image
  • Options
    I was originally thinking of personalized cuff links as a gift as well, but just the movie with the card and the ticket stub sounds like an awesome gift on its own. 

• Options
    We didn't do gifts to each other. We were driving on our honeymoon, so we stopped on the way out and each picked a couple of CDs for the drive instead. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My fiance really likes scotch so I'm planning on buying him a bottle of johnny walker blue. It's way more than he would ever spend for himself so I want it to be a real treat for him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_grooms-gift-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adca3d80-7949-40c4-9f67-1c357a95c1e9Post:87857b12-379f-4b68-9838-776f320ca76f">Groom's Gift??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just found out that you are supposed to get your future husband a wedding gift. My questions are 1) When do you give them the gift? 2) What are some ideas of gifts? I wanted to get something that was thoughtful, not materialistic. We are big movie go-ers. So I was thinking of getting him a copy of the movie we first saw together on DVD and getting him a nice card with the movie stub attached in the card. The date of the movie stub is 10 years to the date we are getting married. I was also thinking of getting him some nice personalized cufflinks for the day of the wedding..I'm trying to think of some other things, do you ladies have any ideas you can give me?? THANK YOU!
    Posted by Daizy106[/QUOTE]

You are his gift.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards