Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bad thank you note?

2»

Re: Bad thank you note?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:13c9d174-72cb-4555-81ce-b7ecd81216e3">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bad thank you note? : haha yikes!  That would disturb me.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

Yes, this aunt is quite... disturbing. She also announced in the middle of my grandfather's funeral that she had lost her teeth and might have put them in someone's coat pocket.
  • I haven't recieved a thank you note for any of the past 4 weddings I have been to, but some were recent so I am cutting them some slack.  1 is from about a year and a half ago, I gave up hope.  The worst one I got actually said in the card something like,
    "Thank you for X!  It was a popular gift!  We will be returning yours and getting Y.  We are so thankful you could join us blah blah blah.
    Thanks!
    Bride and groom"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:94c98dcc-bf9a-422f-9ae8-7a0ba3f8f9ae">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't recieved a thank you note for any of the past 4 weddings I have been to, but some were recent so I am cutting them some slack.  1 is from about a year and a half ago, I gave up hope.  The worst one I got actually said in the card something like, "Thank you for X!  It was a popular gift!  We will be returning yours and getting Y.  We are so thankful you could join us blah blah blah. Thanks! Bride and groom"
    Posted by JoyTate1[/QUOTE]

Wow, some people are asses.
    Lizzie
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:94c98dcc-bf9a-422f-9ae8-7a0ba3f8f9ae">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I haven't recieved a thank you note for any of the past 4 weddings I have been to, but some were recent so I am cutting them some slack.  1 is from about a year and a half ago, I gave up hope.  The worst one I got actually said in the card something like,<strong> "Thank you for X!  It was a popular gift!  We will be returning yours and getting Y.  We are so thankful you could join us blah blah blah. </strong>Thanks! Bride and groom"
    Posted by JoyTate1[/QUOTE]

Meh, I don't think that's that bad. Duplicates happen and they were just being honest about what they were doing with the gift.
  • aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I think that's a situation where I'd rather have someone say something nice than be honest.
    Lizzie
  • Really, like why does MINE have to be the one returned. Lie to me and say you're returning someone else's or just don't mention it at all.

That being said, I didn't receive a TY for the last wedding I attended in August. Same girl posted on Facebook a couple weeks ago that she just found the TY note she had written to her husband's employer but never sent. Wonderful.
    Photobucket
  • Someones gift has to be returned. I just don't think I would be insulted if mine was the one being returned. I'm glad to know other people would be. My shower is this Sunday and I will be sure not to write that if this happens!
  • I'm still waiting on on a TY note from my SIL's sister for her early April wedding but maybe now that they are out of school (teachers) they'll work on them.  That's one thing I can't procrastinate on, thank you notes!

One I got from a friend was awesome. She said thanks for coming etc etc, not sure if she mentioned the gift, but closed with "Woosh is timeless and looks great at weddings." I think I still have that one.  (Woosh is one of my nicknames)
    Crosswalk
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:5f33b977-d3dd-4c5d-b323-fa5ae30726e9">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bad thank you note? : I would have called them up and said, "So, did you get my gift? I wasn't sure. You never mentioned it."
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

See the crappy thing with checks is that you do know that it was cashed, you know?  If I had given them a GC or cash I would have definitely done that.
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • The worst TY note I got, the bride spelled "truly" and "appreciate" incorrectly. This was from the bride who commented on my lack of a Masters degree and how it made me a lower level citizen than she. At least I can spell beyond a third grade level, right? I was considering sending her a dictionary for her 1st anniversary. It's paper.

She made the same spelling mistake on everyone in my family's TY notes.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't received one myself, but a friend got one where the whole thing -- including the bride and groom's names were pre-printed. A bland "thank you for sharing our wedding day with us and for your generous gift. with love, Bride & Groom"

They didn't sign it at all. What if a guest didn't give a gift?
    planning

• i think it looks fine & of course a mention of the gift is appropiate
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bad-thank?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:adea06ce-0526-4c59-8309-611088d76b18Post:d9f9b676-3e61-4a35-86fb-afae54454bff">Re: Bad thank you note?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tim wrote a TY to one of our friends who got us a set of ramekins.  It said, Dear Friend, Thank you so much for the ramekins.  We will put very tiny servings of food in them. Love, Brie and Tim
    <p>Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]</p><p> </p><p>Holy fantastic!</p>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards