Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Ring Poll!

Question for you all!

So I have decided not to wear my engagement ring on my honeymoon. We are going to a resort in PuntaCana. I really don't want it to get damaged from the sand or water and I don't want to draw any negative attention to ourselves. My FI and Mom also say that I shouldn't wear the wedding band on the trip either. They are worried that it may slip off in the water and get lost. I think that just because we will be newly married and on our honeymoon I thought I would wear it, ya know? FI won't be wearing his band. 

So what do you think? Should I wear the band, get an inexpensive 'replacement' band or not wear anything at all?

Also, did you wear your rings on your honeymoon?
"does this sweater make me look fat?" "no, the fact that your fat makes you look fat. That sweater just makes you look purple".

Re: Ring Poll!

• Options
    I wore mine. Never had a problem. I get feeling like you might not want to, though.

I don't know that I'd bother with a replacement band if you choose not to wear them. That's just me, though.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I did wear my rings on my honeymoon, but we also didn't go anywhere where we had to worry about theft or damage, and the ring doesn't look impressive enough for someone to jump me.
    My sil and bil have what they call "Africa" rings which may be an idea for you, especially if you travel frequently. When dh is stationed in Africa he wears a little plain wedding ring that doesn't amount to much financially, when she goes to visit, and sometimes when he's gone and she's still here, she also has a little plain ring that she wears. Before he went over the first time they had a little private ceremony with just the two of them to put an emotional existence to the rings.
    Then again, her ring could probably feed an entire village over there, so wearing it on her finger would have been a very bad idea.
  • Options

I plan on wearing a plain silver band on my finger during our honeymoon. I'm paranoid about hurting it in the sand or water too so I figured it would just be easier.

• Options

I'd feel bummed not wearing mine, personally. Maybe just get a little plain silver band so you have something and leave your rings at home. I definitely wouldn't want to wear the real rings in the ocean or at the beach, but unless you have a secure safe in your room, I wouldn't want to leave them in the suite, either. Leaving them at home where they're safe is probably what I would go for. We didn't honeymoon, but we wouldn't have gone to a beach, either, so I would have worn mine had we gone somewhere.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    We wore ours for most of our trip, but on the day we went to the beach and snorkeling we locked them in the safe in the room. 
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    We were on a cruise, so I wore mine on and off. I always wore my engagement ring on the ship, but left it in the safe when we went to port. I also didn't want to have any 'attention' drawn to it. I did wear my wedding band though and it has 2 rows of tiny diamonds. We both wore our bands.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • Options
    We rented a beachouse, and we were both worried about wearing our rings at the beach. So we would just lock them up in the house. See if your resort has a safe in  the room.
  • Options
    I am not wearing mine. I bought a cheapie fake CZ band for $6 at Kohls that is similar to my wedding band that I will be wearing on the HM. I think a lot of girls are in the same boat as you. I know I will feel weird without the real ones, but I just don't want to risk damage or losing them (even though we have a replacement plan).
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ring-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae37008b-0b52-4784-8de8-7d12b7a8bd2aPost:cc584acb-b062-45d7-9908-ef66463b40c4">Re: Ring Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We wore ours for most of our trip, but on the day we went to the beach and snorkeling we locked them in the safe in the room. 
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

H and I haven't honeymooned yet, but this is probably what we will do. OP, do you have that option to leave them someplace safe during those kinds of activities? It would bum me out to not wear our rings on a honeymoon.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I wore mine.  My diamond fell out (on a FREAKING cruise ship).  Somehow by the grace of God we found it after searching for an hour it was on some steps.  We were SO lucky.  It was the second day of our honeymoon and so I wore just my band the rest of the trip. 

However, I'm not going to get all up tight about my ring.  I love to wear it.  Insurance is your friend. 
  • Options
    I would probably leave my engagement ring at home.  But, I'd wear my band.  My band wasn't expensive, so I wouldn't really care if it got lost.

But, then I could leave my ring at home and while we're gone our house could get robbed.  So, there's that. 

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options
    I will be wearing mine on our honeymoon. Also, my jelwer informed me to add my ring to mny renters insurance for about $40 a year and then to make sure that its covered even in a "mysterious dissapearance" is how she stated it. My ring will be covered no matter what (all $5000 of it) and I wont have to prove anything.
  • Options
    There is a safe in the room but who knows who else has access to it, KWIM? Also, we live with FI's brother so no worries about someone breaking in while were away. My band wasn't very expensive but I would still be bummed if I lost it. I think i'm leaning towards leaving it at home. Just not sure if I should buy a cheapie replacement band. 
    "does this sweater make me look fat?" "no, the fact that your fat makes you look fat. That sweater just makes you look purple".
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ring-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae37008b-0b52-4784-8de8-7d12b7a8bd2aPost:51710630-8b6e-4c2b-b6d9-5e7d6fe97144">Re: Ring Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is a safe in the room but who knows who else has access to it, KWIM? Also, we live with FI's brother so no worries about someone breaking in while were away. My band wasn't very expensive but I would still be bummed if I lost it. I think i'm leaning towards leaving it at home. Just not sure if I should buy a cheapie replacement band. 
    Posted by LnDUBS[/QUOTE]

Most safes these days seem to allow you to set the combination, so that no one else has access to it. I wore my rings all the time in Hawaii, except when I was at the beach.
  • Options
    I wore mine, but we were just at a resort in New Mexico.  H thought I was crazy to wear them in the pool, but... I dont know, I didn't have any problems.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ring-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae37008b-0b52-4784-8de8-7d12b7a8bd2aPost:86288502-0484-4e01-96cb-bba5d67971b8">Re: Ring Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I will be wearing mine on our honeymoon. Also, my jelwer informed me to add my ring to mny renters insurance for about $40 a year and then to make sure that its covered even in a "mysterious dissapearance" is how she stated it. My ring will be covered no matter what (all $5000 of it) and I wont have to prove anything.
    Posted by eandringa[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah its pretty important that you schedule a ring onto your homeowner's or renter's policy. Jewelry is covered by your homeowner's policy generally but only up to a certain amount (say $1500 each piece of jewelry and $2500 total) and only for a cause of loss already covered by the policy (like theft or fire). When you schedule the jewelry most companies will insure the piece for its full value and cover it for open loss. So if it mysteriously disappears (meaning you lose it) you would still have coverage. </div><div>
    </div><div>I have a plain white gold band I wear for vacations. I worked in jewelry so I'm probably overly cautious about my ring. My ring is fully insured for both repairs and complete loss but I really don't want to do something to my ring that means losing a stone or degrading the integrity of the ring's structure because that will make it more likely that something will happen to the ring again later down the line. I really love my ring and want it to last. </div>
  • Options
    leaynleayn member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ring-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae37008b-0b52-4784-8de8-7d12b7a8bd2aPost:12e3227a-43e4-4c86-b09e-1d2e11f2b8f3">Re: Ring Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I plan on wearing a plain silver band on my finger during our honeymoon. I'm paranoid about hurting it in the sand or water too so I figured it would just be easier.
    Posted by JennaV26[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what we're doing.  Nice!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't even think about not wearing my rings on our honeymoon. I kept them on my finger at all times, even when swimming at the beaches, snorkeling and walking around Nassau. I can't imagine that people are really paying that much attention to all the tourists and checking out their fingers for rings.
    I think the sand helped clean my ring some. It's not like the diamonds can be damaged by sand, they are one of the hardest minerals on Earth...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I went to Puunta (ha, apparently we can't type p u nta??) Cana and wore mine all the time.  I wore it to the beach, when we went kayaking and when we were at the pool.  The ONLY time I left it in the safe, was for the snorkeling excursion, and that's because I didn't want to attract barracudas.

I think, if your ring fits, it's not going to fall off.  If you're afraid of it falling off, go to a jeweler and have it properly sized.

Good luck.
  • Options
    I have a fake diamond band I wore to Spain, and that I wear when we go to Mexico.  My ring is definitely kind of flashy and I like to walk around late night on vacation, so I would rather not draw attention to it.

As for insurance, I went through a private jewelers insurance called Jeweler's Mutual after being told that many homeowners policies do not cover theft or loss outside of the home, such as being on vacation, or a stone falling out.  I was also told that a claim could raise the rate of the entire insurance policy.  Is this true?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ring-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae37008b-0b52-4784-8de8-7d12b7a8bd2aPost:5ae441f4-eec8-4936-9d22-061e4c2bd3f1">Re: Ring Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE] I was also told that a claim could raise the rate of the entire insurance policy.  Is this true?
    Posted by saschaduran[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes any claim that is paid out on your homeowner's insurance could affect your rates or your ability to obtain insurance through some companies for years following the claim. Homeowners policies have been a losing business in some areas and often insurance companies will increase rates or deny insurance to clients who have a history of loss. Statistically someone who has had a homeowner's loss in the past is more likely to have one again resulting in higher rates and denial of insurance.</div>
  • Options
    Thanks katie...that definitely reinforces my decision for seperate jewelry insurance.  It seems much more expensive but worth it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Our homeowner insurance didn't cover for out of the country, as I discovered when calling the day we were departing for the honeymoon... but in any case, I wore my rings. They're a little loose sometimes (I have big knuckles so they are tight on the knuckle but loose on the finger itself as my fingers are tiny) and whilst I do wear them swimming in pools, I did take them off and leave them in the apartment safe the day we went to the beach... but the rest of the time, they stayed on my finger. 
  • Options
    I wore my ring on our honeymoon (to WDW) and I was fine. On the days when it was too hot I left it in the safe in our room, but most of the days I wore it.

Are you going to be staying at an established hotel in PuntaCana? Most hotels like that have a safe that their guests are allowed to use.
  • Options
    My thoughts are that something is more likely to happen to my ring it I leave it at home (break in) than if it's on my finger. At least, nothing is more likely to happen to your ring than it would be on any other day. It's a resort area. It's not dangerous. 
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    this poll has got me really thinking about what to do w/ mine on the HM
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ring-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae37008b-0b52-4784-8de8-7d12b7a8bd2aPost:b6b76583-71b4-48dd-91bf-c801ac085b08">Re: Ring Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would probably leave my engagement ring at home.  But, I'd wear my band.  My band wasn't expensive, so I wouldn't really care if it got lost. But, then I could leave my ring at home and while we're gone our house could get robbed.  So, there's that. 
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]

This happened to my friend.  They went to Africa and purposely left her rings at home to be safe.  Got robbed, lost rings, computers, etc, etc.  I kind of feel like the safest place for a ring is on your finger.  We went to P_nta Cana (before e-ring, but I have other jewelry) and I just wore it.  When we went to the beach we locked it in the safe in the room.

and yes, your rings are insured, right?

PS.  Why won't it let me post P_nta?
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ring-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ae37008b-0b52-4784-8de8-7d12b7a8bd2aPost:37557b28-0362-452b-b681-555fe48e2416">Re: Ring Poll!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wore mine.  My diamond fell out (on a FREAKING cruise ship).  Somehow by the grace of God we found it after searching for an hour it was on some steps.  We were SO lucky.  It was the second day of our honeymoon and so I wore just my band the rest of the trip.  However, I'm not going to get all up tight about my ring.  I love to wear it.  Insurance is your friend. 
    Posted by Stackeye210[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  Insure and be happy!
  • Options
    Wear them!  The sand/ocean will not damage your ring and if it's sized properly you wont lose it.

My jewler thought I was insane for not wearing it.  The only time I left it in the safe was when I went swiming in an underwater cave but felt kinda silly for leaving it at the hotel.

Your ring is safer on your finger then at home in the safe. 
  • Options
    i find replacement rings to be a silly idea.  if you dont feel comfortable wearing your rings, then just leave them at home.  it doesnt make you any less married.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards