Wedding Etiquette Forum

Decorating Question

Do you have color scheme for your whole house, or did you just decorate with whatever colors you wanted? What about rooms that are connected, like the kitchen and living room?

We're going to be moving in a few months, and will most likely be renting somewhere that we can paint/decorate however we want, and I'm trying to come up w/ some color schemes.

Re: Decorating Question

• I haven't painted in any of the rented places I have lived in. IMO, its just a waste of money and time. I just hang my pics and decorations as usual where I want them. My kitchen is a particular color scheme, which matches my dishes, but other than that, I really don't care.

I just can't wait to finally get a house someday where I can go and do that. And have a shopping spree in doing so.
  • We stuck with a common theme for large open areas, kitchen, dining room, living room (all one great room) and then we continued it through to hallway, but for bedroom, guest room, office- we went with cream based pastels that compliment the creamy color of the rest of the house, while continuing the off- white trim that is throughout the house. Hope this helped!
  • Missy, we know we're going to be here in Springfield for at least 2 more years, and wherever we move into, we're planning to stay there for that time. Our apartment right now is bright white and very industrial looking, and comes off as cold. I just want something that feels a little more homey, even if I have to buy a can of paint to do it. Smile
  • Interesting question!  I never painted places I rented either (too much work, even though I was in my last apartment for 4 years!).  When we bought, i was so excited to paint.  2 years later and we've only done 2 bathrooms...

But in theory:  I'd probalby do rooms that connect in complementary colors.  Not necessarily the same colors, but like greens and blues with beige or something like that.  For bedrooms, I see them as separate spaces so I'd probably paint them with colors I like and that match the furnishings, like comforters.  Those are harder for me to find so I'd match the paint to that rather than the other way around.

Just have fun with it!
  • You can't do just anything you want.  But, you can work within.  Like we did the dark grey entry.  And the pink bedroom.  I wanted to do my back foyer an aqua blue.  But, with the pink upstairs it's too juvenile and 80s.  So, I had to ultimately decide pink or aqua. 

Ben moore has a line of colours that you can choose any colour out of that book and they will all match.  They weren't as bold as the colours I chose for my house, but there was a lot of selection.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_decorating-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08c0daa-f47b-44bc-ae6e-5b30a565ef22Post:d9331f30-1826-46bd-af48-b9fd79c6eec0">Re: Decorating Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can't do just anything you want.  But, you can work within.  Like we did the dark grey entry.  And the pink bedroom.  I wanted to do my back foyer an aqua blue.  But, with the pink upstairs it's too juvenile and 80s.  So, I had to ultimately decide pink or aqua.  <strong>Ben moore</strong> has a line of colours that you can choose any colour out of that book and they will all match.  They weren't as bold as the colours I chose for my house, but there was a lot of selection.
    Posted by mandysmear[/QUOTE]

I love that you're on a nickname basis with the paint guy ;)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • We painted our living room a deep gold color and now we're trying to figure out what color we should do the kitchen. I would like to do the kitchen a dark tan and H wants to paint the kitchen a dark green. I think the dark green will clash with the living room since the rooms are connected and H thinks the dark tan color I want will clash. I'm not sure how tan or beige can clash with anything. Our most annoying fights are over paint colors.
    I'm also thinking of putting up dark blue or navy blue roman shades in the kitchen to go along with the dark tan color.

GL!
  • Our living room and dining room go together (greens).  The kitchen and sunroom are red/white/grey.  And the bedrooms have no decor going at all, really.  We're just trying to keep the stuff in them that should be in them, as they're much smaller than the rooms in our previous house. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_decorating-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08c0daa-f47b-44bc-ae6e-5b30a565ef22Post:056cdc0a-924f-4b85-9733-0724227c233b">Re: Decorating Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We can't paint at our current apartment :( but I<strong> recommend watching HGTV to get some ideas</strong>.  FI and I are obsessed with that channel since we will be moving at the end of the summer.
    Posted by brilibby4[/QUOTE]

Ha, I am an HGTV junkie. House Hunters, Property Virgins, and Dear Genevive are like crack to me.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_decorating-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08c0daa-f47b-44bc-ae6e-5b30a565ef22Post:f96e93db-7b9e-44cc-92c6-b2252c97f295">Re: Decorating Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Missy, we know we're going to be here in Springfield for at least 2 more years, and wherever we move into, we're planning to stay there for that time. Our apartment right now is bright white and very industrial looking, and comes off as cold. I just want something that feels a little more homey, even if I have to buy a can of paint to do it.
    Posted by Jill9288[/QUOTE]

I definitely underely know where you are coming from. I feel the same way. It is just with H job right now, we don't really know where we will end up next esp since we are trying to move back to Ohio in the near future.

In my old apt, you could paint but you had to turn it back to white or off white when you moved out. The current place we are in, we are allowed to paint, but just haven't given it that much consideration.

I guess there are probably a lot of fun things you can do even with just some border and some splashes of color.
  • We have a two bedroom condo. 

The walls are all done in very neutral tones (living/dining/kitchen - light grey mostly, dark grey back splash, chocolate brown accent wall, bedrooms/bathrooms - beiges, tans, chocolate brown (guest bath only)). 

The 'colour' scheme is all in the accessories as opposed to the wall colour. When I first moved in with my roommate (6 years ago) I did the main living space accents as green apple, teal, and orange. When he moved out and I bought it from him (3 years ago) I changed the accents to red, purple, orange.

The main bedroom accents have always just been neutrals, done through bedding/towels. It used to be greys/beiges/blacks, now it is ivory/chocolate/yellow

The guest bedroom/office has no colour scheme. It is the 'travel' room where all the stuff picked up on trips go. There is a large red desk and plenty of turquoise and teal but no actual colour scheme, just lots and lots of colour.

When we buy a house that we will be in long term I would probably consider painting walls a colour that wasn't a neutral.
  • We did a little of both.  Our house is a three level split so you enter then the living room is there, you go up five steps and to the left is the kitchen to the right is the dining room.  The ceiling is valuted there.

So when we went to paint we did the one wall in a wine color - there is a wall that is inbetween the kitchen and dining room, but it doesn't go to the peak in the ceiling.  The dining room is one color complimentary to the wine, and the kitchen another complimentary to the wine.  So all three were on the same paint chip.  The cabinets in the kitchen we painted to go with the color of the dining room - so everything flowed.  Halls we did neuatral and then the bedrooms are each different.
    imageimage

Sept 2011 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Ceremony Photo Anniversary

~~Planning~~

~~FOR SALE~~
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_decorating-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b08c0daa-f47b-44bc-ae6e-5b30a565ef22Post:6e1f16c8-4f03-4bcb-a545-07b3dcd11550">Re: Decorating Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Decorating Question : I love that you're on a nickname basis with the paint guy ;)
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

Haha, I know right?  Ben Moore and I... we're like this ::crosses fingers::

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • We went with bright/bold colors since we were both so tired of living with white walls in apartments.

Each room, with the exception of our guest bedroom, has a bright/bold color and then an accent wall with a complimenting color. Then we would run the accent color into the next room as the main color and then have an accent color in there as well. This goes on throughout the house. Our kichen/living room and bedroom/walk-in-closet don't have doors, so the flow worked nicely.

As far as color scheme goes, we just chose a color that we liked for that particular room and then chose either a lighter color on the same paint swatch or a complimenting color in the same range for the accent.

We used green/yellow, yellow/light yellow, and brown/tan as the main/accent colors.

We love our colors, but will most likely need to paint over some when we sell the house. Not everyone loves bright colors like we do. :)

• Sherwin Williams also has an interactive thing on their website where you can choose a room that is like the room you are painting and can "paint" the walls to see what it would look like. You can choose your own colors or they will suggest colors that go with it.

Since you're going to be in an apartment, you could perhaps try just paiting an accent wall at first so you're not putting in a lot of time and money. If you have a main wall in your living room, you can paint it a nice warm tone to warm up the room from the stark white.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards