Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Holy Cheese and Rice

So, for those who aren't up to speed, FI's grandparents are insane people who were boycotting the wedding because of our female officiant.  

We find out today that they're coming.  They gave us the RSVP tonight.  I don't know whether to be excited or concerned.  
my read shelf:
Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale

Re: Holy Cheese and Rice

• Options
    hold the phone...
    They were upset at a female officiant? Are they old school, like women can't serve in a church or something, or are they against her because she's not their denomination?

Well either way, I guess be glad they came to their senses?
  • Options
    Be excited.  And tell the ushers to keep an eye on them.  :)
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    [QUOTE]hold the phone... They were upset at a female officiant? Are they old school, like women can't serve in a church or something, or are they against her because she's not their denomination? Well either way, I guess be glad they came to their senses?
    Posted by rhodesign[/QUOTE]

<div>Umm...all of the above.  They're old school and have denominational issues.</div>
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options

Apparently it's much easier to attempt to manipulate the situation by saying you won't come than it is to actually follow through on that when you don't get your way!

• Options
    I had gone from normal expectations to negative expectations and then got to no expectations.  I don't know how to work my way back into feeling anything positive about them.
    my read shelf:
  • Options
    Hmm, I would be slightly concerned. Then again, maybe they realized that by boycotting a female officiant, they were boycotting their grandson. Maybe they realized they were being ridiculous....
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    Are they the type to make snide comments or be blatantly rude or are they more the type to just be passive aggressively non participative even if they are there? If it's the latter, I wouldn't be worried at all. If it's the former, I'm not gonna lie. That would make me a little nervous.
  • Options
    I think once they get there, they'll be so happy to see you get married, and everyone else will be so happy, that it will be difficult for them to be total buzz-kills.

I like this story.  Proof that if you don't cave to people trying to pull your strings, eventually they'll give in and you win.
  • Options
    I have decided that by the sounds of it, most of your family has trouble accepting the 21st century. Either way, it's good they decided to come. Must have been tough going through all that!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_holy-cheese-rice?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b14f097a-8a55-48d3-ab21-46347c93f119Post:93163d16-51ab-4a3e-8241-d9a2fb987f93">Holy Cheese and Rice</a>:
    [QUOTE] I don't know whether to be excited or concerned.  
    Posted by Night_Sprite[/QUOTE]
    I think the answer to that one is a definite "Yes."
  • Options
    Maybe they've come to their senses.   Don't draw more attention to the matter than need be. 

Hope everything goes well, Night!
  • Options
    I guess grandma gave grandpa the riot act about being well behaved, so hopefully everything will go without a hitch.  
    my read shelf:
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards