Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

I love potluck

Yes.  I do.  But not for a wedding. 

What's your favorite potluck dish to make?
What do you hope someone else brings to the party?

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb

Re: I love potluck

• Options
    In all honesty, I've never in my life been to a potluck event. Embarassed
  • Options
    I love bars. Like the chocolate kind. AND the booze kind, but that's not what I'm talking about here.

I just love all the different bars to choose from.

As for what I make? Whatever comes already made from the grocery store.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2010
    This weekend, I made cornbread salad and it was awesome.

We do a Halloween party that's usually potluck and I make the Pumpkin Gooey Cake from Paula Dean. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I usually make a macaroni salad. If I'm asked to bring dessert bars I bring Rhubarb Dream Squares.
    I enjoy all the different salads the most I think.
    And desserts. YUM.
  • Options
    Mmm, potluck.  But not for a wedding, I agree.

What's your favorite potluck dish to make?
    I usually bring sesame chicken skewers or a dessert.  My favorite dessert to bring is strawberry shortcake, in pieces (i.e. the strawberries and the shortcakes, separated, with whipped cream separate to put on top).

What do you hope someone else brings to the party?
    Something chocolate.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I'm usually in charge of a dessert. I make Gooey Butter Cake most of the time, but lately I've been taking a no-bake Banana Pudding. I have to bring one tomorrow to a work bridal shower, actually. Even though the lady is already married. Whatevs.

I usually take corn casserole to my IL's Thanksgiving.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Jambalaya! It was my go-to dish in college because it's cheap and I'd make a huge pot at a time and eat off it for days.

I love when people bring a specialty cheesecake.
  • Options
    Rhubarb Dream squares?  Please to share.  My Mom brought me a ton of rhubarb (really.  I weighed it) and I need something to do with it besides apple rhubarb crisp.

• Options
    Also, I love side dishes, so I usually fill up on side dishes. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I make a mean roasted potato salad.  I also love making hummus and guacamole.

And my crowning potluck moment was  bringing rice krispy treat 'sushi' with candy fish to an 'international foods' potluck at work.
    murrayed
  • Options
    Georgia, please to be sending me some gooey butter cake, like now. Kthanksbai!
  • Options
    I missed the part about what do you hope someone brings: I love all things starch.
  • Options
    I like making sweet potato casserole and chocolate cupcakes. H usually likes to make buttermilk biscuits.

I always hope someone brings along potato casseroles.
  • Options
    Alix, it wouldn't make it from the oven to the mail if my H had anything to do with it, I"m afraid.
  • Options
    I usually bring cookies.  I love when people bring a broccoli/raisin salad. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    I love to make deviled eggs (I refuse to eat them, but I always get so many compliments on them, that I hate NOT bringing them, it's an instant ego boost lol) and baked goods - preferably funfetti cupcakes lol.

I always hope someone else will bring some sort of really awesome salty casserole. I hate making casseroles because I can never get them to turn out right, but I like to taste them when they're made well and I always try to get the recipe. I figure one day I'll find one that I can actually recreate!
  • Options
    I love the sides too, I usually make a pasta salad.  I want that cornbread salad recipe Dani!  I think we should just have a 'potluck recipe exchange' because these all sound good.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_love-potluck?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b7d2463f-ee0c-4a52-99e7-5d80eea681caPost:dbe5ac2c-df75-471c-b725-57ecfaccbc6d">Re: I love potluck</a>:
    [QUOTE]And my crowning potluck moment was  bringing rice krispy treat 'sushi' with candy fish to an 'international foods' potluck at work.
    Posted by nhelene[/QUOTE]

Cute and creative!
  • Options
    I like bringing some kind of interesting dip or salad. The last potluck I went to had an Italian theme and FI and I brough bruschetta (separately, then assembled when we got there) and caesar salad. Usually I'll bring guacamole or avocado/corn/goat cheese dip, or homemade salsa with chips. Or homemade hummus.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    I love to make deviled eggs (I refuse to eat them, but I always get so many compliments on them, that I hate NOT bringing them, it's an instant ego boost lol) and baked goods - preferably funfetti cupcakes lol.

I always hope someone else will bring some sort of really awesome salty casserole. I hate making casseroles because I can never get them to turn out right, but I like to taste them when they're made well and I always try to get the recipe. I figure one day I'll find one that I can actually recreate!
  • Options
    I usually end up making a dessert because I'm better at baking than cooking.  I usually bring some sort of cookie, like chocolate chip or my Grandma's Snickerdoodle recipe.
  • Options
    I love bringing spinach dip in a pumpernickel bread bowl. It's like crack, and none of us can stop eating it.

When other people bring all those BBQ staple side dishes - potato salad, macaroni salad, etc. I'm on cloud 9. I really, really love potluck events.
  • Options
    I usually bring caramel brownies.  Let me know if you want me to post the recipe.

I kind of hate potlucks unless I know all the other parties involved pretty well.  Random work potlucks creep me out because you never know how careful people are with handling their food and such.  Yuck.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    bean dip... or the bakerella cake balls or oreo balls
  • Options

We have tons of potlucks at work, and I usually bring cupcakes.  I like it when someone brings hash brown casserole (my boss makes the best one).

• Options
    Yeah, our work potlucks weeb me out just because of the condition of some coworkers' cubes. I know which dishes to avoid for sure. But then I also think that we eat at restaurants all the time, and they're probably just as bad. I think all the germs even out in the end.

Brie, can you post the recipe? For some reason, I've never saved it when you've posted it before, so this time I will.
  • Options
    OH I LOVE Hashbrown Casserole.
    I also make a pretty mean spaghetti bake.
    1 lb hamburger, a large can of diced tomatoes, fresh mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, seasonings, sauce...mix with 1 box cooked pasta, sprinkle with cheese and bake. YUM.

Moose:

Base:
    2 cups flour
    1/2 cup butter
    1/2 cup icing sugar

Mix until crumbly then press in to a 9x13 pan and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

While base is baking, prepare custard:

4 cups chopped rhubarb
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs (beaten well)
    1/2 cup flour

Mix well, and pour over crust and return to oven for another 45 minutes (or so).

My mom used to make the mixture and put in pre-baked tart shells too.

• Options
    Psst...Alix....

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/pumpkin-gooey-butter-cakes-recipe/index.html

There are a zillion other flavors too. My fave is double chocolate. It got honest-to-God applause the last time I took it to a potluck.
  • Options
    After this thread, I've gotta admit that if there's ever a total E get together, it should be potluck.  Yes, it should.

I usually make cheesecake

I love when people bring pasta and potato salads. And perogies.  I worked with a girl from Russia once and she always brought perogies to the pot lucks.  I loved her.

• Options
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards