Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wording - no gifts necessary

I'm trying to figure out a way to put on my wedding website "We don't need gifts, and we don't want you to feel like you need to bring any, but if you're so inclined, we like the following stores".

We're not registering anywhere, because we have a lot of things already, but I realize that some people feel uncomfortable coming to the wedding empty-handed, so I'd like a nice way to suggest that they can get us things at the stores we like.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wording - no gifts necessary

• I don't think there is a way to do this.  By not registering anywhere, people will most likely bring you a monetary gift.  Then you can use it at the stores you choose.
  • I would just do a registry at one or two of those stores and call it a day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sure you don't have the best version of everything. Choose the stores you do like, and register for a few things that would be an upgrade to what you have now. Then, after your small registry is completed (or not), people might get you giftcards or just give you cash.

• Ditto PPs... make a few small registries with some nicer versions of things you already have (silk bedsheets, nicer coffee maker), and maybe some things you'd never buy for yourselves but would probably use. Like a shower clock radio.

It gives people some ideas, if they want to buy gifts. And it also tells them what your favorite stores are, if they just want to give you gift cards instead.

(We actually had the shower clock radio on our registry for the same reason... would never buy it for ourselves but needed to add some more things. I got it at my shower and we LOVE it!)
  • I recently went to a wedding where they did not want people to bring gifts and they stated at the bottom, "Our gift is your presence".  They still received gifts from some such as wine, giftcards, money, etc.  I would go with something along those lines if you truly do not want gifts.  You could always do a very small registry though.  I'm sure there is something you want that you don't have.
  • edited June 2010
    We didn't register because we weren't interested in gifts. We were just happy to be getting married and have everyone there with us. But people still brought gifts even though we told them not to, mostly money. If you think they will bring items, register for a few things at your favorite stores. Or, don't worry about it and let them bring whatever they want, which will likely be money.
  • we did not register anywhere and did not need anything.  we got a few very nice gifts, everyone else gave us cash or nothign at all.  we didnt care.  we didnt get married for the gifts, and saw no pont in registering for random things just for teh sake of registering.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wording-gifts-necessary?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ba35c84f-9c88-498a-93a5-40eea2739207Post:5a61a78c-3429-43fd-874c-3b693a3dbd49">Re: Wording - no gifts necessary</a>:
    [QUOTE]we did not register anywhere and did not need anything.  we got a few very nice gifts, everyone else gave us cash or nothign at all.  we didnt care.  we didnt get married for the gifts, and saw no pont in registering for random things just for teh sake of registering.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

Thanks! This is helpful. Honestly, there's nothing I can think of that we want. Everything would just be more clutter, and the only stuff I care about is kitchen appliances and gadgets. Of which we do truly have the best of everything, since I have a side business that deals with baking and cooking!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • New sheets, blankets, towels? IMO you can never have too many of these. My fancee and I have been living together for almost 4 years; I did a registry for upgrades to these types of things and am thrilled at the results! Also, photo frames and photo albums...you're going to need more of these after the wedding, since you are having your pictures taken right?! Tongue out
  • I think it's kinda rude to say we don't need anything, so don't give us a gift.  Giving a gift is optional in the first place, and people that want to give you a gift will anyways, and saying you don't want any may take away some of the enjoyment they get by giving you something.  I'd try to register for a few things at the stores you were going to say you like.  As PP said there are always things you would never buy for yourself, but are kinda cool to have, and you can always use towels and sheets as these wear out.
    October 2010 September SC - 1st Anniversary Plans:
    Trip to Prague & bring home furbaby when we get back
    imageimage
    ~ Karen ~
    **Wedding/House/Travel Bio **
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards