Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Cat drama! (long)

Don't worry, everyone is okay. Fi took today off after being in Vegas for business for the past few days. We've had our persians for the last 2 months, and wanted to get them checked out at the vet. (They came from a foster home where they had vet care, otherwise it would have been sooner.)

Anyway, they have fleas, which are the laziest fleas ever, because they haven't been biting us. Okay, fine, FI got frontline. But then, the vet told FI the big news:

The girl is a boy and the boy is a girl.

Yes, my beautiful princess kitty is really a boy. And her brother is a girl. It kind of makes sense that the smaller one is a girl. But the larger one was kind of dominant, which made sense to me, because I've seen most female cats be really biitchy before.

FI was laughing because this means the girl cat doesn't love me as much as the boy. We have too many boys in the house and I wanted a girl cat to love me!

I'm totally willing to declare them trans cats and keep them as-is, but FI wants to switch their names.

Pic:

The one on the left was Sam, who we thought was the boy. The one on the right WAS Delilah. She looks smaller because we had to have her shaved down. (Er, I mean him) but she/he is actually the bigger cat.

To be fair, the one on the left is REALLY pretty, but hates sleeping with me. The other one is cuddly. They were learning their names, too!

CN: The cat I thought was a girl and named Delilah is really a male cat. She was my buddy, and the rest of the cats in our house are boys. The formerly male cat is female, with a scar from spaying and everything. *headdesk*
my read shelf:
Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
40/112

Photobucket

Re: Cat drama! (long)

• Options
    HAHA. This is hilarious. Are you going to switch their names now or just have them be unconventional, gender-bending kitties?

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    I'd just keep their names as is.  Its a fantastic story!
    Photobucket
  • Options

I'd keep their names. They are very cute BTW.

• Options
    We are dealing with catdrama today, too. We have had a stray hanging around since Thanksgiving and have been unsuccessful in catching him to give him his shots and get fixed. It is spring break, so FI is going to try and get him in a carrier today and take him to the vet. He's basically got one shot before the cat freaks out and runs off.

Also, it's going to cost an arm and a leg and two cat nads to get everything done at the vet.
  • Options
    My friend and I are leaning towards just pretending we don't know which is the male and which is the female and keeping the names as-is. FI wants to change them. I'm like, "Really, they're cats who have no sex organs due to surgery. They know nothing about gender."
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Hahaha! 

At least "Sam" can be gender neutral. 

Our cats are the opposite.  Our female cat would love it if we could carry her around the house in a little baby sling petting her while she purrs all day, whereas our male cat has a "go to hell" look on his face pretty much 24/7.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Since they are learning their names, I woulkd go with the gender bending.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cat-drama-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bbec01fa-7409-492b-ab01-ae72ebe2dbc9Post:f0d4d4bf-fa6b-4c42-87d1-71bf851a4186">Re: Cat drama! (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend and I are leaning towards just pretending we don't know which is the male and which is the female and keeping the names as-is. FI wants to change them. I'm like, <strong>"Really, they're cats who have no sex organs due to surgery. They know nothing about gender."</strong>
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

This is also true. The worst that will happen is that humans will think their names are ironic. ;) And you could always just go with Sam and Del too.

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Options
    Hahahah!  That's hilarious.

But I thought when you neutered a male cat they only took out the vital parts inside, but now you're making me wonder, do they, uh... cut it off?
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Zippity, I've heard some people have success with trapping strays with humane traps. I'm not sure how much traps cost or what kind you'd need to get though.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    Hahaha T's "boy" cat "Hunter" ended up being Abigail.
  • Options
    My parents have one that they would use to relocate rabbits from their yard, but we'd most likely catch the other cat in it, because the other cat will climb into anything. But we can just pick him up and carry him into the vet because he's a creampuff. I wish he could give the stray some lessons.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cat-drama-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bbec01fa-7409-492b-ab01-ae72ebe2dbc9Post:76b95b06-34b9-4816-af3f-112d6ea667c0">Re: Cat drama! (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hahahah!  That's hilarious. But I thought when you neutered a male cat they only took out the vital parts inside, but now you're making me wonder, do they, uh... cut it off?
    Posted by pandasquishy[/QUOTE]

No. AND we had her/him shaved down due to matted fur, so FI was wondering, actually, because there was a bump. But cats aren't exactly packing, if you know what I mean. They aren't like dogs where it is super obvious. It sort of... goes back inside.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cat-drama-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bbec01fa-7409-492b-ab01-ae72ebe2dbc9Post:0479ab2e-74bb-428a-813e-0a0b640e71d3">Re: Cat drama! (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cat drama! (long) : No. AND we had her/him shaved down due to matted fur, so FI was wondering, actually, because there was a bump. But cats aren't exactly packing, if you know what I mean. They aren't like dogs where it is super obvious. It sort of... goes back inside.

<div>Oh, ok I gotcha.  I don't know much about cat genitalia.  </div>
    imageimage
    Follow my book blog: Panda Reads
    Follow me on Goodreads: my read shelf:
    Sandra's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cat-drama-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bbec01fa-7409-492b-ab01-ae72ebe2dbc9Post:0479ab2e-74bb-428a-813e-0a0b640e71d3">Re: Cat drama! (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cat drama! (long) : No. AND we had her/him shaved down due to matted fur, so FI was wondering, actually, because there was a bump. But cats aren't exactly packing, if you know what I mean. They aren't like dogs where it is super obvious. It sort of... goes back inside.

Haha, this made me laugh for some reason. It's true though. When we first got Monkey at 8 weeks old, we didn't know if he was a boy or a girl. We just couldn't tell at all. So we gave him a non-gender specific name and found out a week later at the vet that he was a boy.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cat-drama-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:bbec01fa-7409-492b-ab01-ae72ebe2dbc9Post:0100461f-ea46-42f2-8be9-d218df96e0ea">Re: Cat drama! (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cat drama! (long) : Oh, ok I gotcha.  I don't know much about cat genitalia.  
    Posted by pandasquishy[/QUOTE]

Hahaha I love this.
  • Options
    haha awesome!

Don't feel bad, my girl cat isn't as lovey as the boy cat either.  However, she does love me more than she loves FI, but she's warming up to him more.
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    opalsky007opalsky007 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2010
    Hilarious!

Stuff like this happens all the time, though. We have two swans at Boston Public Garden named Romeo and Juliet. A few years back, their caretakers couldn't figure out why they weren't making baby swans and decided to have them checked out at the zoo infirmary. Turns out we have two Romeos.
  • Options
    This is hilarious.  I'd keep their names as is.  (Cute kitties, though!!)
  • Options
    I would leave the names as-is. I'd rather have a boy Delilah who knew his name than a boy Sam who ignored me and vice versa.

BTW, they are sooooooo cute. I'm sort of a cat lady, so I'm holding back right now, but I want to love on your kitties big time.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    We have another cat who's a boy, and we're cat sitting my friend's cat who's a boy. So with two boy cats and FI I said, "I want a girl next! There are too many boys in this house!" I had a female cat (calico) who slept on me every night as a kid and I thought I would bond with another girl cat really well!

I wish the groomers had noticed/said something when we took them in 2 weeks after we got them. I mean, they had to know.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! The now-girl cat growls when I brush her stomach (I need to brush them - look at that fur) and it is SO funny. Like they think they're mean jungle cats and they're actually little puff balls!
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    We thought we got two girl kittens from the ASPCA a couple of years ago. One day, I was playing with one of them and asked DH, "Um, what's THAT?" We weren't quite sure... till we walked into the vet with two girl kitties and walked out with one girl and one boy.

We kept his name anyway since we'd had them about two months by then and he'd gotten used to it. It's the name of a fairly obscure Greek goddess--most people don't know the name anyway so they have no idea if it's a girl or boy name to begin with (and it's become a funny way to see how "educated" some of our friends really are Tongue out).
  • Options
    Also, I love theat they snuggle together. My kitties snuggled with each other when they were little and will sometimes sleep on each other at night during the winter, but otherwise, they never snuggle.
  • Options
    Ten - is it Artemis?

Yeah, they don't snuggle with the other cats, but sometimes they snuggle with each other (especially when it was cold - the shaved one wanted to warm up) and then they start licking each other. It is so cute I could die.
    my read shelf:
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cat-drama-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bbec01fa-7409-492b-ab01-ae72ebe2dbc9Post:6c6bf486-7651-4782-8768-e83d4b83a7cd">Re: Cat drama! (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have another cat who's a boy, and we're cat sitting my friend's cat who's a boy. So with two boy cats and FI I said, "I want a girl next! There are too many boys in this house!" I had a female cat (calico) who slept on me every night as a kid and I thought I would bond with another girl cat really well! <strong>I wish the groomers had noticed/said something when we took them in 2 weeks after we got them. I mean, they had to know. </strong>Thanks for the compliments everyone! The now-girl cat growls when I brush her stomach (I need to brush them - look at that fur) and it is SO funny. Like they think they're mean jungle cats and they're actually little puff balls!

I bet they were like, "HUH?" when you told them the names, and just thought you were a weirdo.
  • Options
    I had a cat named Artemis when I was little :) Though I got it from Sailor Moon, not Greek Mythology haha. I could pretend to be educated.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_cat-drama-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:bbec01fa-7409-492b-ab01-ae72ebe2dbc9Post:2152625b-752f-4521-ad04-0bc5ea0ed414">Re: Cat drama! (long)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ten - is it Artemis? Yeah, they don't snuggle with the other cats, but sometimes they snuggle with each other (especially when it was cold - the shaved one wanted to warm up) and then they start licking each other. It is so cute I could die.

My two chihuahuas groom eachother constantly. It's cute sometimes, but they'll do it for like 30 minutes at a time. They both have little bald patches by their ears from where they've licked the fur clean off eachother. And I'm not a cat person, but your cats make me want to become a cat person. They're super adorable.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    Yeah I had a Samantha at one time, low and behold I ended up with a "Sam". So at least yours can be short for Samantha?
    I know I've always been closer to male cats then my females. My 14 year old I had to put down last year was my cuddle bunny, and I miss him. The only reason my brat now gets near me in bed is to walk over me to get to the FI.
    I told FI the other day I just know he loves him more then he does me.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    This story is fantastic and totally made me smile :)

I'd keep the names as is.  I agree with your reasoning.  They don't know the difference.  Hell, you didn't know the difference!!! Hahaha :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards