Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Wedding 2 hours away

is it bad etiquette to hold my wedding in a location that is going to be a 45 minute to 2 hour drive for most guests?

Re: Wedding 2 hours away

• Options
    It's more about how far apart your ceremony and reception are from each other.  And, if it's at night, how far they are from reasonable accommodations.  So long as all three of those are within 20 - 30 minutes of each other, the drive to/from the area for your guests isn't an item of concern from an etiquette perspective.  It may affect your attendance, though. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    45 - 2  hours is quite a time gap! I wouldn't do it :)
    BabyFruit Ticker boots badgeDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    Oh, I read that incorrectly. What the pp said in this case! I read it as having the ceremony and reception that far apart distance wise!
    BabyFruit Ticker boots badgeDaisypath Anniversary tickers Photobucket
  • Options
    If wedding and reception are 2 hours apart, definately not. But if the whole shebang is just two hours from home, I think that is fine.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-2-hours-away-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c7ab8dfe-856e-425d-aa08-5c5f23426d9bPost:2e6f82c4-d6e4-443a-8292-50e18c89b622">Wedding 2 hours away</a>:
    [QUOTE]is it bad etiquette to hold my wedding in a location that is going to be a 45 minute to 2 hour drive for most guests?
    Posted by MAMA41206[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't think so as long as the reception/wedding ceremony are close together. My fiance and I live between 45 minutes and 6 hours from our families and we are having it where we live. Is there a hotel where you are having your reception? Maybe block off some rooms so those who want to drink (if you're having alcohol that is) can stay the night and not have to drive!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Well, is almost everyone, including you and FI, in one location and you are just choosing something 2 hours away?  Are you trying to have a central location for both families?  More details please.
  • Options
    My wedding was 2 hours from my town in DH's town.

Some people came. Some people didn't.
  • Options
    We were about 5-6 hours away.  Hotels are wonderful things :)

"You can take your etiquette and shove it!" ~misscarolb
  • Options
    Ditto moose.  My wedding is about the same distance from my family, and farther from some of FI's family.  Some people will be fine making the trip; other's won't.
  • Options
    It's 2 hours from us and most guests. Few guests live very close to the venue site, and a few others live about 45 mins away. The hotels are around $150 a night which I think it a bit steep to expect of everyone...
  • Options
    I've definitely driven 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to attend weddings.  I'd look into seeing if you can get a block of hotel rooms in the area for a discount so that guests have the option of staying nearby after the reception.

You can also expect either a higher decline rate or a chunk of your guests to leave the reception early.
  • Options
    Do you think the site itself is worth it?

We're having our wedding at an awesome and personally significant place on the beach in South Jersey, and most of our guests will be coming from either Philly or Central or North Jersey. But we're putting on quite a show with our venue, and the location is appealing enough that people can make a mini-getaway weekend out of it if they want. I don't feel guilty that it's a mini-destination for most guests, because we're having a much nicer (and cheaper!) wedding than we would have had at a Central Jersey wedding factory.

If you're going two hours out of Philly to have a wedding at a fire hall in Bumblefuck, PA, though, I think it's not worth it.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    Yeah... We live in northern Delaware and the venue is on the beach in lower DE... I'm torn between the beach wedding or just being convenient
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wedding-2-hours-away-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c7ab8dfe-856e-425d-aa08-5c5f23426d9bPost:a1165fc5-6c63-4f05-a563-67aed64ea6b4">Re: Wedding 2 hours away</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah... We live in northern Delaware and the venue is on the beach in lower DE... I'm torn between the beach wedding or just being convenient
    Posted by MAMA41206[/QUOTE]

Worth it.

I used to live in Newark, DE and I feel like the culture was generally such that people felt it was worth it to drive a bit to get to the beach. I don't think your guests will have a problem.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    That's not too bad of a drive at all. If they had to, they could probably leave the reception at a decent hour and get home. That's what we've done for a bunch of Houston weddings (we're 90 miles away) to avoid the hotel costs. 

I'm getting married in my FI's hometown, which is 6 hours from my parents and about a 14-20 hour drive from everyone else (although most of them will fly).  They'd be thrilled if I was 2 hours from them...you're lucky!
  • Options
    We live in north east Houston but are getting married down in Galveston so that's about 1 1/2 hours away for some of our guests. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards