Wedding Etiquette Forum

Another travel post

H and I are starting to think about a trip for our first anniversary, plus it's quiet around here and travel seems to have been today's theme, so let's talk. Did you go anywhere for your anniversary or do you think you will? Where? And where would you go if time and money were no object?

We aren't sure where we're thinking yet, but Mexico, Belize and Roatan are ideas we've tossed around since we're going to go for a few days from the US when we're home for a wedding in March. If we had all the money in the world and no limits on vacation time, we'd do a safari somewhere for sure, but that'll have to wait a couple years.

Your turn!

Re: Another travel post

• we had planned to go away for 2 nights to teh same place where we honeymooned but we opted instead to put the money towards a bigger trip/relatives DW later that year.  so, instead, we had dinner at the hotel restaurant where we honeymooned.  taht's the great thing about honeymooning local - we can go back anytime we want!
  • we went to Colorado for our second anniversary. it sucked. I got altitude sickness. and we got lost in the mountains. it was an adventure though!
  • We are planning on going on an Alaskan cruise around May once H is back.  Our wedding was in July, and we never went on your HM, so this is basically our HM.  Since its 2 months before our anniversary I guess it could be considered our anniversary trip too.

The week before our anniversary we have to go to our hometown for BIL's wedding that we are both in.  So thats probably going to take up all of our money.  Maybe we will go up to Vancouver or  Victoria for the weekend of our actual anniversary.  We'll see what kind of money we have left.

If time and money weren't an issue, my dream vacation would be a Mediterranean cruise.  I think they are usually 12-14 days, but I would do a longer one if they had it.  Thats going to be my retirement gift to ourselves when H retires.  Hopefully.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • We haven't talked about an anniversary trip yet, but I know in the spring, we'd like to go to Peru.  And maybe Hawaii.

But as H's family is all in the South and we're in CA, a lot of our annual vacation time will likely be dedicated to visiting his family.
  • Galapagos Islands-best vacation ever! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-travel-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c975e2b1-97f8-495d-a024-1f3dc5692b69Post:d463fb09-da96-4e69-a020-59852b01b0e1">Re: Another travel post</a>:
    [QUOTE]My vote is for Roatan! It's so beautiful and the snorkling & diving are fantastic!
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Really?  I've been to Roatan on a cruise and we hated it.  We didn't leave the port area because it was so dirty and actually scary.  But then again, I'm sure the beaches are gorgeous because thats how a lot of places in the Caribbean are if you are away from ports or resorts.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree ithe port area and airport are awful.

The beaches are all white sand and the mahogany trees that line the beaches are lovely.

The one cruise I have gone on stopped in St. Martin and we thought it was a dump

• Where would you go if time and money were no object?  FI and I would love to go to Europe for a month and travel to London, Spain, Italy, Austria, Croatia, Germany, France, and Greece.  We want to try and travel to France and Italy the summer after we get married as our "honeymoon" but we will see how much money we have saved up.
    Updated 1/17/11 imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've been wanting to go to Belize for a while, and it was on our list of possible HM destinations.  I heard that Caye Caulker is awesome.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-travel-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c975e2b1-97f8-495d-a024-1f3dc5692b69Post:e311378e-9917-4228-9e78-3cd4ebccea07">Re: Another travel post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another travel post : Really?  I've been to Roatan on a cruise and we hated it.  We didn't leave the port area because it was so dirty and actually scary.  But then again, I'm sure the beaches are gorgeous because thats how a lot of places in the Caribbean are if you are away from ports or resorts.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

I lived in Honduras for 2 years and vacationed a few times on Roatan.  The port area is definitely not like the rest of the island! It's a gorgeous place.  (But yeah, based on the port I wouldn't been enticed to explore.)  If you do scuba, or are interested in becoming certified, it is literally the cheapest place on earth. At least it was when I did it.

We didn't take a honeymoon so we're hoping for a 1 yr anniversary trip.  It will likely be combined with a trip back to the Dominican Republic, where H and I met and where his family lives.

If finances weren't an issue, we'd go to Thailand/Vietnam/Cambodia or to South Africa/Nambia. If security weren't an issue, Lebanon.
  • emilyinchileemilyinchile member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    OOT (ETA: and aplatanada), we don't dive, which is why I'm wondering if we'd get the most out of Roatan.

Mica, I totally know what you mean with using up vacation time to visit family - my 2 weeks a year in the US are really important to me, but it only leaves one more week for exploring new places, and when you live at the end of the world it takes a while to go anywhere!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-travel-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c975e2b1-97f8-495d-a024-1f3dc5692b69Post:1a84694f-b95c-4f85-8bdf-9576db27810e">Re: Another travel post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Where would you go if time and money were no object?  FI and I would love to go to Europe for a month and travel to London, Spain, Italy, Austria, Croatia, Germany, France, and Greece.  We want to try and travel to France and Italy the summer after we get married as our "honeymoon" but we will see how much money we have saved up.
    Posted by PsyDet 2155[/QUOTE]

I'm just going to tell you right now that you cannot see all of those countries in a month.  Unless you spend just a couple of days in every city.In which case, you're not really seeing the country anyway.   And why would you spend time only in London?  Personally, having just gone for the first time, I would have loved to get out to the countryside. :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-travel-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c975e2b1-97f8-495d-a024-1f3dc5692b69Post:e4ff82d8-1aad-4b1c-b106-240f131a28b6">Re: Another travel post</a>:
    [QUOTE]Galapagos Islands-best vacation ever! 
    Posted by LittleKatie13[/QUOTE]

<div>JEALOUS!! I've always wanted to go. Did you do a cruise? Was it worth the money? What was the highlight of your trip? </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're going up to Duluth MN to a bed and breakfast for a long weekend!
  • We originally considered Niagara Falls, but scaled back to a weekend away close to home for a wine festival, but now even that is scaled back. We have a couple weekend trips planned already, will probably be making another one in the summer, and we have to put serious money away for my BFFs May 2012 wedding in California.  So if anything, we might be able to one overnight for the wine festival or just go up early in the day and drive back at night (or find super cheap hotel). But even if we do dinner somewhere, it's cool.  Maybe for bigger anniversaries (5, 10) we will do bigger trips. Like a cruise or all-inclusive or I think for our 10 we'd like to go to Ireland.
    Crosswalk
  • I should also add that for us, this will be our summer vacation this year - we're going toward the end of summer so we can celebrate our anniversary as well rather than doing two trips.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-travel-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c975e2b1-97f8-495d-a024-1f3dc5692b69Post:2570c518-9c45-44dd-81a0-35eef312c991">Re: Another travel post</a>:
    [QUOTE]There's pretty good sailing as well.  I don't remember the charter rates but they were way less than anywhere else we've chartered
    Posted by ootmother2[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I think it depends on the type of traveler you are. I've never been to a reort there, but I imagine it's not so different from what you find in other resort-type places.

I was in my early 20s I was there, so I was perfectly content to dive or sit on the beach all day and then go to bars at night.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_another-travel-post?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c975e2b1-97f8-495d-a024-1f3dc5692b69Post:98a13ae3-a403-47ae-999c-df28e6854fa7">Re: Another travel post</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Another travel post : JEALOUS!! I've always wanted to go. Did you do a cruise? Was it worth the money? What was the highlight of your trip? 
    Posted by shoegal715[/QUOTE]

We did a 10 day cruise on Celebrity.  It was a family vacation that my parents (very very generously) paid for-but we all loved it and my parents definitely considered it worth the money because they've talked about taking us all back there again.  I loved everything-snorkeling with the giant sea turtles, the blue footed boobies, the zodiac rides around lava rock formations, hanging out with the very friendly sea otters-the whole trip was amazing.  We spent one night in Quito on each end of the trip, which we also really liked.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We went on a cruise (for our 1st anniversary) that stopped in Roatan. I think Carnival has an exclusive Roatan port- it was brand new, and our favorite stop. I've heard Belize is gorgeous, but the cruise port was horrible.

Our plan for our 2nd anniversay is to go to Charleston, SC. It's a smaller scale trip, because if all goes according to plan, I'll be KU.  

• If time and money weren't an issue? It's a toss-up between an African safari and Santorini, Greece
  • If you like Mexico my family and I went to Zihuatanejo Mexico. It was not full of tourist and we got to see the real Mexico and the people who live there. It was beautiful and tons of fun. If you want to go some where where there isnt many tourist you should definately look into it.
  • SaraD7SaraD7 member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    We are having a destination wedding in RM Mexico, I wanted to have the wedding at a boutque resort, but it didnt really work for a huge group. If I was just going with me and my FI I would book at the Moroma Hotel

Here is a slideshow take from my wedding photographer
    Del Sol

http://delsolphotography.com/blog/content/galleries/?gal=298
  • Zoetry in Riviria Maya is also Fantastic

http://www.zoetryresorts.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards