Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Advice! Did not receive gift!

My college friend is getting married and I cannot attend her wedding but I sent her a gift from her registry anyway. I sent her an invitation to my wedding which is abroad. She asked me if I had a registry and I don't because it's customary in the country where I'm getting married to get cash/checks. I told her this and she just sent me a thank you card, that is it! Personally I think this is rude. Should I set up a registry for just a few items for the guests who ask? Some people think giving checks is impersonal but I really don't see why a blender would be so much more special! Should I say something to this friend? Advice?

Re: Advice! Did not receive gift!

• Options
    She sent you a thank you card for the gift you gave her?

Im not seeing the problem. You should be appreciate that she sent you a thank you card for the gift you get her.

Unless you're worrying that she's not gonna give you a present. Then that just makes you kinda douchey.

Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_advice-did-not-receive-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9cdbf7e-b9a8-45f4-abeb-d92ab44b01e0Post:a92ee273-048e-4247-a823-977ff08b5293">Advice! Did not receive gift!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My college friend is getting married and I cannot attend her wedding but I sent her a gift from her registry anyway. I sent her an invitation to my wedding which is abroad. She asked me if I had a registry and I don't because it's customary in the country where I'm getting married to get cash/checks. I told her this and she just sent me a thank you card, that is it! Personally I think this is rude. Should I set up a registry for just a few items for the guests who ask? Some people think giving checks is impersonal but I really don't see why a blender would be so much more special! Should I say something to this friend? Advice?
    Posted by talgirl84[/QUOTE]
    I think telling someone you want cash/ checks is rude.
  • Options
    I think you were rude and in response to your lack of class she didn't give you a gift at all.  I wouldn't do it personally but a lot of people would. 
    My Bio Updated 4/6/10
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    So she felt uncomfortable sending you cash or a check.  That's the end of that.  She didn't want to go to target, pick out something you would hate and then pay to ship it to where you are.

That's kind of the end of that tale.  What were you expecting?

And, yes, you should have a registry for those who don't like to give cash or checks and I swear I will poke my eyes out if you say, "But I have everything."  You don't so don't say it.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    Well...IIII have everything. But that's neither here nor there.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Fische- do you have the kitchen aid ice cream maker?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_advice-did-not-receive-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9cdbf7e-b9a8-45f4-abeb-d92ab44b01e0Post:522d8ecf-b33c-455e-b9b5-52ee68d9de25">Re: Advice! Did not receive gift!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well...IIII have everything. But that's neither here nor there.
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

No way.  I don't believe it.  You're going to tell me that I can't upgrade your clubs, your bag or any of your accessories?  I can't buy you a season pass (or whatever) to your favorite course?

I might just get you beautiful new leather gloves that say, 'smokey's b!tch' on them.  Now, you've got everything.

:)
    Bi-oh-rama

"smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill

• Options
    So do you always give gifts expecting gifts in return?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    OOOO, I'll look forward to getting them in the mail!!

Truth be told, I have a GREAT number of wedding gifts that I have NEVER used so if I DID have the KA icecream maker, I wouldn't know it.

But I do know I don't have it. ;)

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
  • Options
    ExpatPumpkinExpatPumpkin member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2010
    When you have a bicultural wedding, you need to accommodate both sets of guests.  If that means no registry in the "checks for gifts" country, then so be it.  You wouldn't want to push the concept of a registry on them. 

But by the same token, you also need to be sensitive to your American guests.  Have a small registry here if people are asking about it. 

I married someone from another country, so I also had to walk a fine line of accommodating both cultures.  It's really not that hard ;)
  • Options
    She's not required to give you a gift. Telling her that you wanted cash/checks is rude, regardless of what the custom is in the country where you're getting married. In this country, that's rude. I don't blame her for not giving a gift.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_advice-did-not-receive-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9cdbf7e-b9a8-45f4-abeb-d92ab44b01e0Post:e1495df3-ba80-4f27-a7d4-d1a64670c2db">Re: Advice! Did not receive gift!</a>:
    [QUOTE]OOOO, I'll look forward to getting them in the mail!! Truth be told, I have a GREAT number of wedding gifts that I have NEVER used so if I DID have the KA icecream maker, I wouldn't know it. But I do know I don't have it. ;)

This is curious to me.  Did you register for them or were they random garden gnomes?  Would you consider exchanging them for something you WOULD use?  In all seriousness, if I bought something for someone that was useless for them I would want them to trade it in.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    Has your wedding even happened yet? Maybe she's waiting until the wedding to send a gift, and the thank you card was for the gift you sent her?

Though, if the classiness you've shown in this post is any indication of your personality, I hope she doesn't send anything.

Chrissy & David -- 10/10/10

This is my "OMG-Don't-Drop-Me" face

Planning Bio

• Options
    OH I REGISTERED FOR IT ALL RIGHT.

I think I thought that we would magically start spending time in the kitchen once we were married.

Alas, the kitchen continues to be a labyrinth that I was never given the map to. But I DO have a sweet food processor. Never used. BUT IM HOLDING OUT HOPE THAT I WILL.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_advice-did-not-receive-gift?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c9cdbf7e-b9a8-45f4-abeb-d92ab44b01e0Post:5b422728-4d9d-43ae-9629-7543d46251d0">Re: Advice! Did not receive gift!</a>:
    [QUOTE]OH I REGISTERED FOR IT ALL RIGHT. I think I thought that we would magically start spending time in the kitchen once we were married. Alas, the kitchen continues to be a labyrinth that I was never given the map to. But I DO have a sweet food processor. Never used. BUT IM HOLDING OUT HOPE THAT I WILL.

I needed a food processor last week when I made hummus.  Doing that shiit by hand was a PITA.

I think that I will register for wine.  Lots of wine.
    Bi-oh-rama

• Options
    I needed a food processor when I made Christmas cookies that consisted mostly of chopped nuts. Never again will I chop all the those nuts by hand
  • Options
    Psssst, if you want to get rid of that food processor, you may bring it to Roch with you in June.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Well, I have a magic bullet, too, and I find that easier to use. AND you can make your margaritas RIGHT IN THE MUGS.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    J!! I'm thinking Friday looks like it'll be the winner.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I want a magic bullet! 

Friday it is!  I'll make sure I don't pick up a shift then :)  We're moving out of Roch, but not too far, so it's all good.

• Options
    Well, PHEW!!!

So yeah, Friday night or Saturday for lunch would have worked, but it sounds like you're already free friday, so bring it, sister friend!

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Oh Saturday lunch would work too, I just figured you'd be busy.  I just have to work at 3 on Saturday.  Whichever is better!  I'm pretty freakin' excited :)

• Options

YYYYEYEEEEEE!!! ME TOO!! :)

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    I would not say anything to the friend.  If she did not attend the wedding, she may not have felt it necessary for her to give a gift (even though you sent her one) and if your wedding has not yet happened, she likely has not even thought about buying a gift yet.  The other possibility is that she was put off by the money request and decided to rebel with no gift.  I do not think you were rude to say what you did as you simply stated the customs of where you are getting married, but when it comes to weddings.. people get offended easily.

No matter the reasoning... I would not say a word to her.  No one is obligated to buy a gift, especially if they don't attend.
  • Options
    RE: Magic Bullet

Could they have picked a more sex-toyish name for a food related gadget?
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• Options
    I know, right? I feel dirty just saying it.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Wait...The Magic Bullet is a kitchen gadget?  ;)

• Options
    Well, I mean I wouldn't google it or anything to prove that I'm telling the truth, but YES.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    We have and use the Kitchen Aid ice cream maker. 

What I don't have and NEED is a food processor.  Really, DH needs it because clearly I won't be doing anything with it besides deciding where it looks best in the kitchen.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards