Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

bridal party line up...help

Ok so it is getting down to the wire and one of the last things I need to get in order is the my bridal party. We obviously know where the MOH and BM are going to be but what about the rest of the groomsmen and bridesmaids...They all are already married, is it OK for them to walk down the isle together or is there a rule about that? I just want to do the right thing and not offend anyone at my wedding. TIA!

Re: bridal party line up...help

• Options
    Stackeye210Stackeye210 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    You can line your BP up any way you wish.  I think it's definitely nice to have couples walk down if you have them in your BP. 

Some people line up by height, some people have no method at all.  There is no right or wrong. 
  • Options
    No, since they are married they absolutely cannot walk down the aisle together.

Kidding.

There are no rules.  If you want to let them walk together, let them.  We'll probably organize by height, mostly, but I'm trying to pair people together that they at least know.  Not entirely possible, but mostly.
  • Options
    ok thanks so much, i feel better lol my brother married a few years back and had all couples in his BP and his wife said they could NOT walk down together like it was the #1 rule in wedding planning...Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    No problem. 

Your brother's wife is strange.
  • Options
    Do you mean they are married to someone else in the WP, or just married in general?  If there are married couples in the WP i would let them walk together since there really is no reason not to.  If they are just married in general, there is nothing wrong with having them walk another member of the WP.  It's just a 30 second walk down the aisle, not a date.  

Like Stacks said, just pick some line-up order for them, but don't rank them.  We paired our WP up by height basically.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    cenglecengle member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Nope, no certain order. None of my BMs had ever even met any of H's GM, with the exception of my brother, so they walked down the aisle with a complete stranger. We put them in order of length of time we've known them, if that makes sense.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-party-line-uphelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cbd7cdeb-60bb-43fb-b691-d479580753c6Post:6e8278e5-c077-4103-a3a4-05e3289f85af">Re: bridal party line up...help</a>:
    [QUOTE]ok thanks so much, i feel better lol my brother married a few years back and had all couples in his BP and his wife said they could NOT walk down together like it was the #1 rule in wedding planning...Thanks ladies!
    Posted by randeea0829[/QUOTE]

Your brother's wife kind of sucks.

I know more people than I care to admit who line up their WP by rank, basically.  Closest friend is close to the bride/groom, then outward based on how well liked/close the person is.  If you're on the end, the congregation KNOWS there's a reason.  This sucks.  Just don't do this. 
  • Options
    We are actually having FI's groomsmen standing up with him, and then having the bridesmaids walk up by themselves. We did this because both his dad and my step dad are in the WP and logistically it just made more sense. Plus my girls don't mind walking up alone, I think they actually prefer it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • Options
    I think ours walked alphabetically. They didn't pair up, though - we had an uneven party with 4 guys and 2 girls. They all just walked alone.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-party-line-uphelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cbd7cdeb-60bb-43fb-b691-d479580753c6Post:c8edd020-c602-44ec-aafc-5831bb0c8fa1">Re: bridal party line up...help</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are actually having FI's groomsmen standing up with him, and then having the bridesmaids walk up by themselves. We did this because both his dad and my step dad are in the WP and logistically it just made more sense. Plus my girls don't mind walking up alone, I think they actually prefer it. 
    Posted by Learox87[/QUOTE]

Well, so are we, but they're walking out together.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-party-line-uphelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cbd7cdeb-60bb-43fb-b691-d479580753c6Post:8d53b536-5e67-467b-86cd-b6ba4ca0ca83">Re: bridal party line up...help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm organizing it in such a way that the two married couples can walk together, but other than that it's pretty much random. <strong>I was once put farthest away in a bridal party because I was the heaviest.  Yeah, my friend was a self-absorbed bridezilla.
    </strong>Posted by djhar[/QUOTE]

She told you this?  Ewwwshesucks. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-party-line-uphelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cbd7cdeb-60bb-43fb-b691-d479580753c6Post:9c95b968-017c-4f46-a899-5ef5ef1096a3">Re: bridal party line up...help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: bridal party line up...help : Well, so are we, but they're walking out together.
    Posted by hlq2011[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah...Wow I didn't even think of this. I have time and all but everyday there's something new I realize I need to plan. Since FI's dad is his best man, the logistics of everything are just so complicated!</div>
  • Options
    I hope you're still not friends with that bride then.  

I think ranking in a way that puts siblings closest to you is fine, but other than that it's just rude.  We paired our people up by height, then ordered them.  H's 2 brothers were closest to the BM, then we had 2 other sets to line up.  One wasn't sure if she would be at the RD so I didn't want her on the end (walking in first) so that she could just follow the BM in front of her, which left the other set to go first.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-party-line-uphelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cbd7cdeb-60bb-43fb-b691-d479580753c6Post:26b9fec4-6f49-44a1-8faa-abd7fa3baed6">Re: bridal party line up...help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: bridal party line up...help : Yeah...Wow I didn't even think of this. I have time and all but everyday there's something new I realize I need to plan. Since FI's dad is his best man, the logistics of everything are just so complicated!
    Posted by Learox87[/QUOTE]

A lot of people don't work out the order until the rehearsal.

Why does your FFIL being BM complicate things?
  • Options
    I kinda think a couple should walk together.  Why would you break up a social unit?  I just don't see a reason why they should be broken up.

Unless they're MOH or BM I don't see a reason to split up a couple.  Especially if everyone knows they're a couple and especially if you're forcing them to do a wedding party dance.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_bridal-party-line-uphelp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cbd7cdeb-60bb-43fb-b691-d479580753c6Post:cdf0b3c4-6f4a-4704-add4-1c42df89c587">Re: bridal party line up...help</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: bridal party line up...help : A lot of people don't work out the order until the rehearsal. Why does your FFIL being BM complicate things?
    Posted by hlq2011[/QUOTE]

<div>I guess it's just a little bit more complicated because he's playing two roles, FOG and BM. But we've been able to work things out pretty easily. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think it's just difficult for me to plan things in general because I have only been to two weddings and they were both very unorthodox so I really have no clue what I'm doing...though lurking here has definitely taught me a lot. </div>
  • Options
    There aren't a whole host of responsibilities with either role; I think you're probably overthinking things a bit.  I've learned that wedding planning is actually not as difficult as it appeared on the surface.

That does not mean I've enjoyed it, or that I don't want it overwithnow! but... it's not too tough.  And as long as you're open to constructive criticism, the ladies around here are very helpful.
  • Options
    FOG is our BM too! There has been some little complications but I think the only thing that has been annoying about it so far is we almost rented tux from a local tux shop and the worker there was telling me that he cannot mach the bridal party and just has to wear  a silver vest/tie or black to blend in with the parents, not the WP. I was like seriously? I't an honor to be the BM. Why try to hide that and not proudly wear it that you're your son's BM? But that guys was super controling and was trying to dictate other things too and didn't get our service. :]
    We have FOG as BM and one groomsmen and then three bridesmaids, so we're thinking of doing the guys already standing at the front of the church, since it's typical for the BM to do that anyway, and just have the girls walk down independently. :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    one of our BMs and GMs are engaged (H and I are in their wedding october 15...and we wanna be paired up together!) so we paired them up. everyone else besides MOH and GM were based on height.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards