Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

RSVP etiquette

I have a question based on what I saw on anothe board. 

The poster says a guest RSVP'd for extra guests and they informed him that it is not an option. He became upset and said he is bringing who he wants. 

I would solve the situation by saying that he can either RSVP for the people invited or RSVP for NONE. Does that make me as the hostess rude? 

Re: RSVP etiquette

• Options
    I don't think so. i think that just makes the guest rude. 

However, I probably wouldn't word it that way. I would probably just tell the guest you're sorry but you just cannot accommodate more than the number of invited guests, but you certainly understand if he wouldn't be able to make it.
  • Options
    I was shocked when I read the post on the invites board. I mean this guy seemed like horror guest. 
  • Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    The hosts should tell him sorry for any confusion but they cannot accommodate extra guests. If he insists on bringing a date, that is very rude on his part a) in the first place and b) even more so after he was told that his guest cannot be accommodated. The host should then politely explain that due to budget/space issues his request cannot be honored and that they understand if he cannot make it. They should look into hiring security to be sure no crashers make it through. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    This is why I'm glad that I hired a day of coordinator.  Vicki has told me that she has often been a "bouncer" at weddings for wedding crashers!
  • Options

LOL. Wow. It is terrible to think that you will need a "bouncer" at a wedding. I couldnt imagine going anywhere were I wasnt welcome and invited. I would rather stay at home and relax than be turned away at an event. 

Why would anyone feel entitled to come to another person's wedding? 

• Options
    em01092em01092 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    Well, honestly, if the guy was in a serious relationship/married, he should have gotten a plus one anyway, or better yet his partner listed by name. It is rude to split up couples, unless the guest did something seriously awful to the bride and/or groom or their families. If he was truly single or just dating around, that's one thing though. 

But, even if he was in a relationship, it was equally rude of him to declare he was bringing a guest no matter what. 
    April Siggy Challenge-Wedding Escape: Reading HG/dreaming about Peeta.... Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio-Updated 4/22**
  • Options
    Her website had "security" on her website as a possible add-on to her services, in addition to floral services and decor.  I wouldn't have thought either to think of having a "bouncer".  So I had to ask her...

Apparently one couple didn't invite the BIL and his wife because they had been really poorly behaved at 3 other family events and this couple didn't want to invite them to the wedding - apparently the parents suggested it!  She told me that the BIL showed up drunk off of his @ss and they had to call the cops because he refused to leave.  Another couple had friends show up with 3 kids to an adult reception at some fancy art museum (where kids under 18 were not allowed as part of the contract).  Vicki told me that she is asked for that add-on a lot lately....crazy huh?
  • Options
    Well I dont know how to paste a post on a board or if it is allowed but she says the guy was trying to bring THREE guests when the invite was addressed to him and his son. 
  • Options

Yes, crazy and sad like the post about wedding crashers that the woman who is a writer started on here a few weeks ago. Most of the stories were sort of funny tho. 

Ive heard of crashers but most were the result of tiered receptions and people who didnt RSVP. Not people who were as bold as this guest was. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards