Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

This is a stupid question about body jewelry

I have an industrial piercing in my right ear. I love it but I'm debating on taking it out for the wedding. I'm just thinking that since I'll be standing to the left that my right ear wll be exposed therefore all the pictures of us at the altar will have the piercing shown. I'm trying to think about what I'll think 10, 20, 30 years down the road and if I'll regret wearing the piercing that day. But then I also think, well if I take it out will I regret not having worn it?

Did any of you take out visibile piercings for the wedding? What do you think?

Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry

• Options
    The piercing is who you are - I'd leave it in. 

But if you're really worried about having it in - maybe you should take it out for the ceremony so you have a bunch of pics without it, then put it back in for the formal pics afterwards and the reception. 
  • Options
    It's totally up to you. I have my nose pierced and don't plan on taking it out. If you think it will bother you, go ahead and take it out, but I agree with PP - it's who you are! Sure, in 20 years you may grow out of it and take it out, but it's who you are now. That's how I feel about it anyways.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    March 2013 March siggy challenge - wedding preview
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    What if you took out the bar and put in two small simple cz studs or something? I have a tragus piercing and that's what I will be doing, switching it out for a cz stud.
    October 2012 December Siggy: Favourite Wedding Picture
    PIC_281copy1 Anniversary
  • Options
    Good ideas about taking it out for the ceremony and also maybe replacing with studs. I think I lmay take it out for the ceremony and then put it back in for the reception.
  • Options
    I would take it out, just the same as if I had a visible tattoo, I'd find a way to cover it.  Like you say, what do you want to see when you look at the pics down the road?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-is-a-stupid-question-about-body-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cf06db6e-2356-449f-8092-07f8a82bbf80Post:2534152e-5f2c-4601-aca4-9a9995356573">Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would take it out, just the same as if I had a visible tattoo, I'd find a way to cover it.  Like you say, what do you want to see when you look at the pics down the road?
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

I think this is why I've never got a tattoo. Every time I think about getting one I'm like "well, will I be able to cover that up very easily?". Which then makes me think that I probably shouldn't get one if the first thing I think about is covering it up lol.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-is-a-stupid-question-about-body-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cf06db6e-2356-449f-8092-07f8a82bbf80Post:0aab021e-3c01-4ebb-91e8-808867d62691">Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry : I think this is why I've never got a tattoo. Every time I think about getting one I'm like "well, will I be able to cover that up very easily?". Which then makes me think that I probably shouldn't get one if the first thing I think about is covering it up lol.
    Posted by ILoveToRobot[/QUOTE]

<div>I have two tattoos that I got in places that are easily covered up. There are some situations that I would not feel comfortable displaying a tattoo. </div>
  • Options
    I have a bunch of tattoos, and I didn't feel any obligation to hide the visible ones for the wedding. They were mostly hidden by my hair, but they are a part of who I am. I am not ashamed of them, so why hide them. I wouldn't take it out completely. Maybe replace with the studs like PP said.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-is-a-stupid-question-about-body-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cf06db6e-2356-449f-8092-07f8a82bbf80Post:cd0187b9-8910-44f1-aa9f-79dc76d06097">Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry : I have two tattoos that I got in places that are easily covered up. There are some situations that I would not feel comfortable displaying a tattoo. 
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

Good to know I'm not alone. But the tattoos I really like aren't usually easily coverable. A couple of my serious thoughts have been huge wings on my back (vetoed that after everyone started getting them) and sleeves in white. White ink is so freaking cool! But I think I want to see white ink in person before I ever get it. I also like the glow in the dark stuff but I hear it's best to get that with a colored ink because otherwise it looks bad. Where do you have your tattoos?
  • Options
    pearlaquapearlaqua member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I don't think your piercing is "who you are", it's more like "your current style". 

Sort of like if your current hair style might not hold up well over time, so you might do your hair differently for the wedding, something more timeless. Don't feel bad taking body jewelry out during your wedding, especially if you think you might be distracted by it in the future.
  • Options
    I actually have a rather large tattoo on my left side that would be easily visible if I ever wore a bikini and one on my right hip. It would probably be visible if I wore a bikini bottom or possibly a "high riding" one piece. Otherwise they're pretty much never visible as I don't generally wear clothes that show off those areas. 

I have white ink on my larger tattoo in the butterfly - it's a union jack butterfly - but I'd have to really get a tan for people to notice that it's actually tattoo ink rather than just my skin.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-is-a-stupid-question-about-body-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cf06db6e-2356-449f-8092-07f8a82bbf80Post:1c24e18f-3cab-4c30-b503-fef3fbdb8aa6">Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I actually have a rather large tattoo on my left side that would be easily visible if I ever wore a bikini and one on my right hip. It would probably be visible if I wore a bikini bottom or possibly a "high riding" one piece. Otherwise they're pretty much never visible as I don't generally wear clothes that show off those areas.  I have white ink on my larger tattoo in the butterfly - it's a union jack butterfly -<strong> but I'd have to really get a tan for people to notice that it's actually tattoo ink rather than just my skin</strong>.
    Posted by pokepoke27[/QUOTE]

This is interesting because I read so many contradictory things online about what white ink actually looks like. Some people say they look like scars, some say they're subtle, some say they turn yellow etc... The pictures I find usually always look good. Have you noticed yours turn yellow at all? I guess with color around it though you might not notice.
  • Options
    I have tattoos as well, and while they are easily coverable if I so choose, 3 of the 4 will show on my wedding day, and the 4th will show in the garter photo (it's just above my knee to the outside of my leg). The others are on my left upper back and my upper arm. I won't be covering any of them, since that's who I am. I've had most of them for over 15 years, so everyone pretty much knows I have them anyway sinc e they show in a swimsuit of shorts and a tank.

I would though, if I could, go back in time to the photos from my first wedding and NOT have that huge hair (thanks 1993!). I'd burn all evidence, but we have kids and they might want pics of mom looking like a doof! ;)

I like the idea of replacing your piercing with studs. It scales it back a bit, without taking away the "you"!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-is-a-stupid-question-about-body-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cf06db6e-2356-449f-8092-07f8a82bbf80Post:4a0eb079-d28b-4ee0-993c-6cb015c1d50f">Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have tattoos as well, and while they are easily coverable if I so choose, 3 of the 4 will show on my wedding day, and the 4th will show in the garter photo (it's just above my knee to the outside of my leg). The others are on my left upper back and my upper arm. I won't be covering any of them, since that's who I am. I've had most of them for over 15 years, so everyone pretty much knows I have them anyway sinc e they show in a swimsuit of shorts and a tank.<strong> I would though, if I could, go back in time to the photos from my first wedding and NOT have that huge hair (thanks 1993!). I'd burn all evidence, but we have kids and they might want pics of mom looking like a doof! ;)</strong> I like the idea of replacing your piercing with studs. It scales it back a bit, without taking away the "you"!
    Posted by coopsbaby[/QUOTE]

hahahahahaha that's hilarious. The 90's were awesome!
  • Options
    Yeah, we won't even talk about my glasses or big poofy dress. Those are some god-awful pictures!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I haven't noticed any yellowing - although now that I think of it...it probably is slightly more yellow. Hence it looking like my skin tone. 
  • Options
    bongebonge member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-is-a-stupid-question-about-body-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cf06db6e-2356-449f-8092-07f8a82bbf80Post:2534152e-5f2c-4601-aca4-9a9995356573">Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would take it out, just the same as if I had a <strong>visible tattoo</strong>, I'd find a way to cover it.  Like you say, what do you want to see when you look at the pics down the road?
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

<div>What a blanket statement. I have tattoos of 2 cherubs holding hands in place of my uncle n grandpa that have passed away. It is a rather large tattoo in a visable place but because of the clothes i wear (not skimpy) very few ppl know i have it. His sister just found out & i have had it 4.5 years now. </div>
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • Options
    Just switch sides at the altar. If you're on the other side then most pics won't show the piercing but you also don't have to take it out. Done and done.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-is-a-stupid-question-about-body-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cf06db6e-2356-449f-8092-07f8a82bbf80Post:92ada455-99c6-42b1-a8d4-0ca868fb3705">Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just switch sides at the altar. If you're on the other side then most pics won't show the piercing but you also don't have to take it out. Done and done.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

lol what an easy answer but isn't it traditional to have the groom on the right and bride on the left? I have to have a few traditional elements since we're not getting married in a church. My mom is grasping for the traditional things.
  • Options
    I switched sides at the altar because the wind was blowing my veil in an obnoxious way on the traditional side. The sides really, really don't matter. 
  • Options

Shortly before I got married I got a new tattoo of a nautical star, placed right over my heart.  In my normal clothes it isn't visible, but in my wedding dress it was.  My mom about died.  She kept going on and on about how that was gonna end up in my pictures.  If I was ashamed of having it in my pictures than I would have been ashamed of getting it, which I wasn't.  If you like your piercing, but aren't sure about how it will look you can take it out or replace it with something a little more classy.  I like the idea of CZ studs, it keeps your style in without looking out of place.

• Options
    becky659becky659 member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Well... I have a lot of tattoos, five of them are 100% visible and difficult to cover up without dressing in long pants/tights & boots, wearing large bangles/watches and wearing sleeves that go down to my elbows. I have my nose pierced as well.
    When I got my tattoos, I absolutely knew that I would have to cover them at work, with almost all of my family members and at our family church.  It doesn't bother me a bit.
    I'm covering my shoulder/arms ones for the wedding with an opaque blue jacket.
    I struggled with whether or not to cover the one on my wrist up with makeup, but after some frustrating makeup "fails", I kind of decided that it was a little dishonest to myself to pretend that it didn't exist at all.  I decided that having a thick(ish) bracelet on would make it less obvious while still letting it peek through.
    I also got a smaller gold nose stud after noticing how big my other one looked in some recent pictures of me.
    And finally, when we do my bridal portrait, I'm taking the jacket off to let them all hang out for a few pictures :) Because hey, my FI and I really think they're beautiful, even if the rest of the world doesn't always agree!

Long story, but the moral is, if you love this part of yourself, I wouldn't take it out and leave it out for the whole wedding! I'd probably take it out for the ceremony, then put it back in for the reception, or like another poster said, just tone it down a little with some different jewelry.
  • Options
    I used to have an industrial barbell in one of my ears and never took it out for any reason, work, interviews, etc.  I would be wearing it for my wedding in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the fact that I now have a keloid on that ear and had to take out the piercing.  Unless i had my hair pulled back half the time people didn't even notice I had it.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-is-a-stupid-question-about-body-jewelry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cf06db6e-2356-449f-8092-07f8a82bbf80Post:9d7fb5ee-fb07-4f3b-8608-696d7e662b6f">Re: This is a stupid question about body jewelry</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I don't think your piercing is "who you are", it's more like "your current style". </strong> Sort of like if your current hair style might not hold up well over time, so you might do your hair differently for the wedding, something more timeless. Don't feel bad taking body jewelry out during your wedding, especially if you think you might be distracted by it in the future.
    Posted by pearlaqua[/QUOTE]

Agree with this 100%.
  • Options
    I think a piercing would be really easy to edit out of your photos if you later decide you dont like it, but would be harder to edit in if you later felt like you should have left it in.

All of my tattoos will be visible on my wedding day (writing across my shoulders, both my forearms are covered also) and I actually am hoping to put any money leftover in our budget towards completing the sleeve on my one arm up to my shoulder before the wedding.  My tattoos were carefully chosen and have important meaning to me and I think it would be silly to cover them. 
    Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • Options
    I've thought about similar things myself. I've taken out my 1/2 gauges and my lip piercing. As much as they are "me" I don't want them in my wedding pictures. I've also dyed my platinum blonde hair back to dirty blonde. I want to be my natural "me" in my pics. I want to wear pearl earrings. I dont want my hair looking yellow next to my ivory dress. I want to look timeless in my pictures. I dont know what I plan on doing about my tattoos yet. I may cover them. If your piercing is healed, and even if its not, it'll survive a 30 minute ceremony. Just think about if you want a big silver bar through your ear in your wedding pics lol.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards