Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

My mom is rude

My mother and 3 sisters were planning to give me a wedding shower. Two of my sisters will be traveling a couple of hours to be there and a the central location for everyone is at my parents' house.  Also, all of my sisters have small children that are easier to take care of in a home rather than restaurant situation. However, in the past, when my mom has hosted events at her house, she acts like a queen, snottily telling everyone every step to take, expecting kids to act like adults, but making them sit on the floor instead of in a chair, and actually being rude to some of the people from my dad's side of the family.  We recentlly had a family event where she sat by herself at the end sulking because she was ready to go and my dad was not.  I love my mom because she's my mom, but am tired of her rude behavior, and pretty worried that she'll be less than gracious if my shower is held at her house.   Do I ask my sisters to try to hold the event elsewhere even if it costs them more? Or do I just let it go knowing that my mom will probably create tension?
As my fiance is fond of saying, "Just Relax....."

Re: My mom is rude

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mom-rude?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cfbb9e9b-1c2a-4ca1-aa6d-8421a967d67fPost:fb487394-f98d-437d-ac70-4ce83ed4b8b8">My mom is rude</a>:
    [QUOTE]My mother and 3 sisters were planning to give me a wedding shower. Two of my sisters will be traveling a couple of hours to be there and a the central location for everyone is at my parents' house.  Also, all of my sisters have small children that are easier to take care of in a home rather than restaurant situation. However, in the past, when my mom has hosted events at her house, she acts like a queen, snottily telling everyone every step to take, expecting kids to act like adults, but making them sit on the floor instead of in a chair, and actually being rude to some of the people from my dad's side of the family.  <strong>We recentlly had a family event where she sat by herself at the end sulking because she was ready to go and my dad was not.</strong>  I love my mom because she's my mom, but am tired of her rude behavior, and pretty worried that she'll be less than gracious if my shower is held at her house.   Do I ask my sisters to try to hold the event elsewhere even if it costs them more? Or do I just let it go knowing that my mom will probably create tension?
    Posted by karenwjackm[/QUOTE]

Let it go.  It sounds like she's going to act poorly no matter where your shower is held.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    I think our mothers could be related...
    panther
  • Options
    If she always behaves this way at family functions, then you're sisters are probably aware of this. If they still choose to hold your shower at your mother's house, despite knowing her behavior, then you already got your answer. No need to request a change of venue, which you really shouldn't do, anyway.
  • Options
    AllabouttheBenj - maybe they should start a show called Motherzilla, seems more appropriate in some situations.  Ok, I'll let it go, I'm guessing most of the fam is used to her by now, I just don't want to be embarrassed by her behavior when my FMIL is there. Oh well.
  • Options
    Well, apparently my sister is pissed enough at her rudeness too and has been trying to find another venue already, problem solved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards