Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Kids meal dilemma

2»

Re: Kids meal dilemma

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kids-meal-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d1a88ced-a219-4319-9fb5-938026532dc1Post:3684a604-cab4-4cff-b920-52506d4f0496">Re: Kids meal dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I asked for a gluten free meal and you denied me, I would show up with my own food.  And eat it in front of everyone.  And it would be awesome.  (Not you, OP, the bitchass that did that)
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]
    Dude, Wendy's is delicious and has gluten free options. Even as the bride, I'd be down for some late night take-out.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kids-meal-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d1a88ced-a219-4319-9fb5-938026532dc1Post:4c8ce968-927c-4c41-9655-6759c78ec42e">Re: Kids meal dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Kids meal dilemma : I would just give her a kid's meal.  I had emailed the parents of the children and said a child's meal would be served.  One family picked adult meals for their children.  I gave them kid's meals. I had a guest request gluten-free food.  Another parent requested vegetarian kids meals.  Nope.  Sorry everyone.  Its just what's on the response card.
    Posted by lily_721[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>That is terribly rude. These people still went to your wedding?? I would have declined.</div><div>As a vegetarian of 17 years I can't begin to tell you how awful it is to go to a wedding where all you can eat is salad. </div><div>Also, as a mother who has 2 of 3 kids with food allergies, I would have been extremely offended if you told me "too bad" & stated that my children had no choice but to eat foods they are allergic to.</div><div>
    </div><div>Good Lord! I find you to be sooooooo rude & inconsiderate!!! </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>OP: I would speak to the venue & see if there is any way to get a discount for the adult meal for the 12 yr old. My 8 & 10 yr olds are eating the adult meal, but their meals are half off the adult price. Our 3 yr old is luckily only $15.   </div><div>It doesn't make sense for them to make you pay the full $120 for the child when she won't be drinking any of the alcohol that you said is included in that cost. Best of luck!</div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    I am allergic tofish and shellfish. I went to a wedding once where every single course had seafood on it.-even the salad. I didn't dare touch any of it. The waiter took pity on me and brought me a vendor meal, so I could have something or dinner. It sucked and was also unnecessarily embarrassing.Yes, the bride's family knew, just didn't bother.Shame on you lilly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sheesh.

At my wedding when we were picking the meals to be served I noticed there wasn't a vegetarian option. I knew that at least three people I was inviting were vegetarians. I asked the caterer if there was any way to accommodate them and she said absolutely. I added the vegetarian option to the response card and those guests were accommodated. One of my guests responded and didn't check any of the food options off and left a note with the response card saying that they had celiacs disease. I called them and asked them what they wanted to eat so I could contact the caterer to see if that was possible. They were able to eat a gluten-free meal of their choice- no harm no foul.  Not accommodating the needs of guests is just kind of a jerk thing to do. It took all of 2 minutes to make the necessary phone calls to make sure the caterer would work with us. 
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I didn't read all the responses so this may have been brought up already but at our venue the kids can eat chicken fingers or the adult choice of steak/chicken all for $50. The adult price per head at my venue is $100 which includes open bar. Are you sure she can't eat the crab cakes at a reduced price since she isn't consuming alcohol? You might want to ask your venue. 

ETA: Also most caterers have a GF/Veggie option. At our wedding we only are allowed 2 meal choices so we chose a chicken and a fish but the caterer will serve anyone who asks a GF, vegetarian, vegan meal. We have a few known vegans attending and I wouldn't want them to feel unwelcome by not feeding them properly.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I would just give a kids meal to her.  She is a kid, if the venue states she is a child, she receives a kids meal.  The children at our wedding will automatically be given nuggets and fries with juice. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kids-meal-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d1a88ced-a219-4319-9fb5-938026532dc1Post:09a6006c-721e-4ea3-9855-46bb9f00e81c">Re: Kids meal dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just give a kids meal to her.  She is a kid, if the venue states she is a child, she receives a kids meal.  The children at our wedding will automatically be given nuggets and fries with juice. 
    Posted by Miss_2010[/QUOTE]

<div>No. That's stupid.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kids-meal-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d1a88ced-a219-4319-9fb5-938026532dc1Post:c74bce25-fd42-47f5-9e4a-80087d36fb4d">Re: Kids meal dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]I didn't read all the responses so this may have been brought up already but at our venue the kids can eat chicken fingers or the adult choice of steak/chicken all for $50. The adult price per head at my venue is $100 which includes open bar. <strong>Are you sure she can't eat the crab cakes at a reduced price since she isn't consuming alcohol? You might want to ask your venue.</strong>  ETA: Also most caterers have a GF/Veggie option. At our wedding we only are allowed 2 meal choices so we chose a chicken and a fish but the caterer will serve anyone who asks a GF, vegetarian, vegan meal. We have a few known vegans attending and I wouldn't want them to feel unwelcome by not feeding them properly.
    Posted by Ballet513[/QUOTE]

That was brought up and I already sent my contact an email... It probably is broken down somehow, the cost of alcohol will likely be taken out of the $120 for her meal.  Just need to confirm.  Thanks gang!
    This thread got out of hand with the topic of accomodating guests with dietary restrictions.. geez!  For the record, I think that's a horrible thing to do!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_kids-meal-dilemma?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d1a88ced-a219-4319-9fb5-938026532dc1Post:09a6006c-721e-4ea3-9855-46bb9f00e81c">Re: Kids meal dilemma</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just give a kids meal to her.  She is a kid, if the venue states she is a child, she receives a kids meal.  The children at our wedding will automatically be given nuggets and fries with juice. 

<div>I've never once heard of a venue requiring kids eat from a kids menu.   They offer kids menus as an option because a lot of kids don't like more adult meals.  That does not mean they don't serve kids 'adult foods' with more sophisticated palettes.</div>

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

<div>That's ridiculous.  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards