North Carolina
Options

DJ or DIY DJ at the Reception: Help, Opinions & Experiences Appreciated

Hi Knotties!I need help here. I think a DIY music setup is risky, stressful and tacky. My fiance doesn't see the value in paying for a DJ and would rather borrow speakers and play from an IPod list. We don't want anyone to 'entertain' or engage our guests. We want someone to announce when appropriate and to simply play music to ensure smooth flow and musical transitions.I should note our ceremony is taking place in a country club, it's in the summer/indoors, and is a summer-formal affair.What have your experiences been? Have you been to weddings where they just have a playlist? Did it go well? What value do you see in hiring a professional DJ but one who doesn't charge $800 for the night (I would like someone at about 1/2 the cost).Thanks!

Re: DJ or DIY DJ at the Reception: Help, Opinions & Experiences Appreciated

• Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally have not been to a wedding with diy music.... but i do know a girl who did it, and it didn't go over so well (from what our mutual friends told me) try looking on craigslist for someone! GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we entertained the DIY thought for about.....30 minutes but couldn't picture it and how it would work without turning into a disaster. i have never been to a wedding or any event that was DIY music. maybe check the budget board b/c i know this has been discussed over there as well so maybe someone is planning on doing it and could shed some light on the set up and operation of it all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just see way too many things that could go wrong with an iPod setup. You still have to designate someone to man the iPod, to make sure it doesn't screw up. Someone will have to make the announcements about when events are occurring. You would still need a set of speakers. What if someone gets a little too tipsy & starts messing around with your playlist?
  • Options
    ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I read your thread to my FI who worked for a dj company and asked him what are the risks involved with a diy dj.  He said that while for certain aspects of a ceremony a playlist will suffice there are big differences w/ and ipod compared to a dj.  Song choices keep your guests entertained and keep them dancing..therefore enjoying your recpetion.  Not to mention all the equiment you would need to hook up for your ipod..it would be way more trouble than its worth...then you have to worry about keeping up with your equiment as the night progresses and you leave the recption.  I went to a DIY DJ rehersal dinner they had a imac set up with an ipod of songs or playlist off itunes...the computer almost fell over multiple times AND right after dinner there was a crowd of ppl at the computer doing other stuff..the music quickly disappeared!  I am against a DIY DJ.....read the info i sent you for your other thread about a low cost dj!! HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to two ipod receptions and they were both great!  They were actually better than most of the DJed weddings I've been to.  I think the trick is having someone you know and trust to be in charge of the music.  The one I went to, the guy in charge of the music had a remote control that he could wirelessly control the iPod, so it was easy to stop the music when it was time for announcements and change songs if they wanted to change the tempo of the dancing or whatever.  He did a really good job!  We're thinking of doing an ipod reception because of this.  We can rent the sound system with an iPod dock for $75 as opposed to the hundreds of dollars for a DJ.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards