Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

seating for toddlers

Do toddlers need a chair? 

We are having a small wedidng (about 60-70) people.  But we have way more family to invite than can fit in the venue space. So we are having to pick and choose who gets to come who gets passed over. 

We have about 4 toddlers coming to the wedding. Do babies and toddlers need a chair?  Is there an age at which toddlers should have a chair?  It's just with so few seats and so many people willing to fill them it seems off to give a chair to baby who can't even sit up in it. 

Re: seating for toddlers

• Options
    sucrets4sucrets4 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2010
    It's just with so few seats and so many people willing to fill them it seems off to give a chair to baby who can't even sit up in it.

...toddlers can sit in chairs.  They can even walk!
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Yes toddlers definitely need a chair. Babies might need a high chair. Infants that can't sit up yet might be in a baby carrier, or on someone's lap. But I would still leave some room for a baby carrier.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    You can ask each parent how their kid prefers to sit - some might do a high chair, some might come with a booster, some might even just sit in a normal chair.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • Options
    Sounds like you need a bigger venue. Your venue should be able to accomodate your guest list.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seating-toddlers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d659014e-dd90-4727-a8b8-4f1d8001b2e3Post:1ac4b620-3be1-492e-8683-f37f2d4f0713">Re: seating for toddlers</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sounds like you need a bigger venue. Your venue should be able to accomodate your guest list.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

I don't think they're over inviting, they're just paring down their list to make it fit.  I had to read it a few times.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seating-toddlers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d659014e-dd90-4727-a8b8-4f1d8001b2e3Post:8d3ff7a2-c243-4181-b385-24ac16343e24">Re: seating for toddlers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: seating for toddlers : I don't think they're over inviting, they're just paring down their list to make it fit.  I had to read it a few times.
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

Still, if the paring down involves deciding whether toddlers count as people or not, it sounds like a bump up on the venue size would be a good idea.
    imageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seating-toddlers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d659014e-dd90-4727-a8b8-4f1d8001b2e3Post:9ea4239a-8cba-4827-9de8-787c75a853c3">Re: seating for toddlers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: seating for toddlers : Still, if the paring down involves deciding whether toddlers count as people or not, it sounds like a bump up on the venue size would be a good idea.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, but since she seems to be okay with sacrificing family for her venue, there's probably nothing that we can say or do.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_seating-toddlers?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d659014e-dd90-4727-a8b8-4f1d8001b2e3Post:5b9f7971-0d57-4ba2-939e-17b7706875af">Re: seating for toddlers</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: seating for toddlers : I totally agree, but since she seems to be okay with sacrificing family for her venue, there's probably nothing that we can say or do.
    Posted by sucrets4[/QUOTE]

True. Thought it was worth suggesting, though.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I'd ask the parents what type of seating they prefer for their child.
  • Options
    Just to make it easier for you, I would look at the ages of the kids. Instead of a standard chair, you may need a high chair instead. Plus, smaller infants may be in a carrier. You should have a space for them either way. Would you want a 3 or 4 year old sitting on your lap through the course of the evening ? I would think it would be uncomfortable for the parents.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards