Wedding Etiquette Forum

What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts

We have everything in household things, but we desperately need a very good bed. Is is polite to have a money tree??How should it be worded on the invitations???Please advise :))

Re: What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-is-the-etiquette-for-a-wedding-when-you-want-a-money-tree-in-lieu-of-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ddc90729-faff-4031-adea-a61ffae6330aPost:ac42e6b4-76bf-47b0-93b2-12e6e2cd218a">What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have everything in household things, but we desperately need a very good bed. Is is polite to have a money tree??How should it be worded on the invitations???Please advise :))
    Posted by oceanlvr56[/QUOTE]

It's not, and you don't. 
  • If people want to give cash they will. Make no mention of gifts in the invitation and do not have a money tree. When asked where you are registered, it is ok to say that you do not have a registry but are saving up for X. However, I'd advise a small registry since some people myself included don't give cash as gifts.
  • Are you planning to buy the new bed from a place that does registries?  If so, I would create a VERY small registry at that store and include the bed.  People will get the hint that is what you really want and many will give either cash or gift cards for that store to put toward the bed.

Also, you'll probably get a registry completion discount on the bed.
  • Is that gif too much? Because it makes me laugh. I love Glee.
  • Skip the money tree and do not ask for cash. PPs have given good advice on how to let people know it's appreciated (which most guests know already). If someone asks where you are registered, you can say you are not registered (if you aren't) and that you are saving up for a new bed/house/whatever. If people want to give cash, they will without you outright asking for it or using a money tree.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Macy's has nice beds and other things, I'd register there and people will probably buy you gift cards there.  We got about $500 in gift cards to the place we registered on top of cash and presents
  • no money tree

in lieu of means instead of - money is still a gift

no mention of any type of gifts on the invitations
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-is-the-etiquette-for-a-wedding-when-you-want-a-money-tree-in-lieu-of-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ddc90729-faff-4031-adea-a61ffae6330aPost:ac42e6b4-76bf-47b0-93b2-12e6e2cd218a">What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have everything in household things, but we desperately need a very good bed. Is is polite to have a money tree??How should it be worded on the invitations???Please advise :))
    Posted by oceanlvr56[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Do not ask cash, meaning no money tree. You never put anything pertaining to gifts on your wedding invitations. 

</div>
  • edited August 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-is-the-etiquette-for-a-wedding-when-you-want-a-money-tree-in-lieu-of-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ddc90729-faff-4031-adea-a61ffae6330aPost:d313b74d-cb41-4851-9a4e-60986854ab3b">Re: What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts : Its perfect, but I love glee too and even watch the glee project. I agree with pp, no money tree
    Posted by snippet17[/QUOTE]

<div>I just haven't been able to get into the glee project!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-is-the-etiquette-for-a-wedding-when-you-want-a-money-tree-in-lieu-of-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ddc90729-faff-4031-adea-a61ffae6330aPost:ac42e6b4-76bf-47b0-93b2-12e6e2cd218a">What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have everything in household things, <strong>but we desperately need a very good bed.</strong> Is is polite to have a money tree??How should it be worded on the invitations???Please advise :))
    Posted by oceanlvr56[/QUOTE]

All I have to say is with a quick glance, I read this as "but we desperately need to be very good in bed." 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • PPs are correct.  Asking for money is rude.  Don't register, and people will take the hint.  I don't know where you are from but around here people tend to give money anyways.  We only received about ten gifts at the wedding, almost everyone gave us cash instead.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-is-the-etiquette-for-a-wedding-when-you-want-a-money-tree-in-lieu-of-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:ddc90729-faff-4031-adea-a61ffae6330aPost:7a3e7a17-dc8d-43dc-bce7-8ca12289bc57">Re: What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]
    Posted by whitsy[/QUOTE]

I love it.  And you.

Plus, it's VERY sound advice:)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_what-is-the-etiquette-for-a-wedding-when-you-want-a-money-tree-in-lieu-of-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ddc90729-faff-4031-adea-a61ffae6330aPost:515c50b6-b135-4eb3-9765-f54307a995bd">Re: What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: What is the etiquette for a wedding when you want a money tree in lieu of gifts : I love it.  And you. Plus, it's VERY sound advice:)
    Posted by mbrischoux[/QUOTE]

<div>:)</div>
  • If you desperately need a good bed, get one.  Cut back on favors or flowers or something... My goodness...
  • Thanks for the idea of a registry at a bed store :) I appreciate your positive problem solving!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards