Options

Short Engagements

2»

Re: Short Engagements

• Options
    maggyruthmaggyruth member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    We decided our date based on when I would be in between classes and would have plenty of time to worry about moving and all that.  It worked out to a 10 month engagement.

Of course, now I have a different school schedule and will be done with classes sooner, but that's great for me because then I have two whole weeks where I won't have to worry about any school projects or anything (when we originally set plans in motion, we were literally going to be flying out to Hawaii on the day classes were done.) Of course, just yesterday I was telling FI that I wished we'd just gotten married the weekend he proposed...

People still asked if I was pregnant...even though we're having a closer to 'average' length engagement.  But, I think that was more because those people want grandchildren (FI's parents...)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_short-engagements?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ded45c05-a68b-4427-acef-0cb0a8d12950Post:b7f5b049-4e9f-4afc-ac7b-128bbda5469f">Re: Short Engagements</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Short Engagements : Yes it is! I'm keeping it too, so I'll be Mac___ indefinitely. ;-) That's really funny. Oliver isn't a terribly common name anymore. FMIL loves musicals and my FI was named for the musical/movie Oliver!, based on the book Oliver Twist. (He was born in '74, which I think was about 5 years after the movie came out.) Actually, the movie was on TCM a few weeks ago and I told my FI, "Baby, your movie is on! I recorded it for you!"
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That is awesome!  You're right, Oliver isn't that common anymore (FI goes by Ollie) but I love the name.  People always think he was named after the musical, but in actuality, his parents were total hippies (FI was born on a commune . . . ) and with his dad's heavy Bahston accent, he thought that "Olivah" sounded like "All of us".  Better than their other choice, which was "Krill".  I don't think I could marry a "Krill".  :)

</div>
  • Options

We the length of our engagment to help my parents who are still recovering from my sisters wedding :-) We got engaged on Jan. 1st we will be getting married in April 2011 which is a 15 month engagment.

Other then that we probably would have gotten married in Sept. or October here, but for my parents we decided to push it off, but didn't want to wait until Sept. or Oct. of next year

Vacation
  • Options
    We had a 7 month engagement. We both wanted kids, and with our ages (35 and 36 at the time) and DH in the Navy with deployments looming, moving fast was in our best interest.

But not *too* fast. We wanted enough time to reflect on the engagement, make sure we were ready, and mobilize family and friends to join us.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    We got engaged in June 2009 and are getting married October 2010.  FI wanted a shorter engagement, but my parents offered to pay for the wedding and only asked for a year so they wouldn't feel crunched. So next June was the earliest and for some reason in my mind I just didn't like June. July and August were too hot, and September is a tragic month in his family, so October it was.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    We are having an 18 month engagement (wedding is 8/7/10) because we knew we wanted to buy a house before we got married (we closed last October) and we didn't want to have to worry about planning and the house process at the same time. I loved our decision! And it was nice to just be engaged without planning for awhile.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Number Invited 181image Number Attending 148image Number Declined 23image Number Not Replied 10image RSVP Date July 7 Magic Number:150
  • Options
    We're having a 1 year engagement. FI proposed in June 2009, and when we started talking about a date May 2010 made the most sense. We are not living together, and since we both had apartment leases that went through this spring we decided to base the wedding on that. And Memorial Day weekend because his mom is a part-time teacher and has no vacation time, so this gave her an extra day.

I definitely could have done a shorter engagement. A year has seemed really long.
    Lindsey & John
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    275image 183image 92image
  • Options
    We got engaged March 13 and are marrying April 18. that's a 5 week engagement. US immigration basically set our timeline for us... we knew we had to marry in April but he waited a long time to actually propose and get stuff rolling! We live together so it is not as crazy as it sounds.

I am actually quite thin and FH is tall and thin except for a beer belly, so we joke that we're getting married because he's pregnant! I also dont' drink but no one thinks about me being pregnant because everyone knows our immigration reasons.
  • Options
    We got engaged in June 2009 and set our date almost immediately for July 10, 2010 just based on what was available in terms of reception sites and photographers. It's just right for us, I think, although we were denied a few vendors because they were already booked. I wouldn't have wanted to do a 1.5+ year long engagement. And honestly I'd only "wonder" about a short engagement if it were 2-3 months from engagement to the wedding day -- those are the ones I might think the woman is pregnant and the couple wants to rush to get married before she starts showing. I don't consider 7 months to be THAT extremely short :)
  • Options
    We got engaged in June 2009 but sat on it for a while, as neither one of us wanted to bother with planning a wedding. Once we rolled into 2010 we decided that it might be time to think about getting married, so we set our date in February, and we're getting married this August.

However, I'm really happy that I didn't start planning any earlier since that just would have meant dealing with the wedding details for that many more months. And so far we've had no trouble at all finding vendors for the date we've picked. I think that the longer you spend spend planning, the more time you spend stressing out about details that no one will ever notice or remember. These wedding websites are the worst for making you feel like if you don't have the most original centerpieces in history, and the most exquisite invitations that anyone has ever seen, then your marriage will be doomed.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We were engaged in Nov of 08, and we are getting married May 10. So roughly 18 months engaged. We knew we wanted our kids at our wedding, and his daughter and her husband were living in Ireland for the majority of 09, so we waited on them to come back to the states and get settled. And we wanted springtime in Charleston,SC so it's not to hot. So May 10 was what we landed on.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ours will be about 17 months by the time we get married--I knew I wanted summer because I'm a teacher, and I didn't know if I could pull off planning in 4 or 5 months.  I'm glad we decided to wait a year longer, because even planning so far in advance, our venue was already booked on our first choice date.

Schroeder--that's pretty funny, though terrible.  People are always looking for a scandal :-)
  • Options
    We got engaged in January and our wedding is this July.  I hate long engagements and we wanted to get married when most of our family could make it, which means in the summer for us. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • Options
    We started dating 7/22/09. Engaged 1/30/10 (day before my birthday). I love Spring and Fall, but especially fall, so our original date was 9/25/10. But we decided we didn't want to wait that long. Married 5/1/10. 9 Months down to 3 Months. And yes, I get lots of looks, but only by those who don't know me well. Some people will just flat out stare at my stomach, trying to figure out whether that is in fact just fat or a baby bump. Awkward. But, I am still a virgin. And those who really know me, have no doubts on that fact.
  • Options
    We knew we wanted to get married on our anniversary, which happened to be 9 months from our engagement.  That was plenty of time for us because we had a small wedding.  Most of our friends and family actually thought that was pretty long.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards