Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Simplicity Gourmet & Simplicity Life Travel

I was at a bridal show a while back and was called by Simplicity Gourmet and told that I won a 3 day 2 night trip for sitting through a demonstration of their products - pots and pans.  We went, got the certification and were told that we'd have to take care of airfare and taxes - understandable.  Has anyone done this?  I'm skeptical about going through the process and paying money without knowing I'm not getting scammed.

Re: Simplicity Gourmet & Simplicity Life Travel

• Options
    I always assume those are scams.
  • Options
    Sounds like a timeshare or something.  I'd pass, personally.
  • Options
    Ask for everything in writing.  Then start reading.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    If it involves paying them in some way, eg paying them for airfare, I would definitely say it's a scam. If they gave me the tickets to whatever it was, I'd take them. I don't know if I'd ever use them, but I would take it. Atleast that way, you could call the company that it's with to see if the tickets are valid.
    image Married and Junk.
  • Options
    NO!! It is a scam! Do not give them anything; money, personal info, etc. We had an encounter with these people a few months back. We too went to a bridal show, and several days later received a call saying we won a trip, blah blah blah...all we had to do was sit through a demonstration of their cookware and we got the trip. So we went (it was at a local hotel), and when you walked in, you could see into the room where the demo was supposed to be. It was empty, save for a couple tables and chairs and one guy.  We had to fill out a paper with some info. "while we were waiting for them to start" and then we could go in. Well, we turned in our paper, but now the doors were closed. We asked about it and we were told that "the room was full" and that we couldn't go in (even to stand? I argued, but they refused). Then they tried to push some more pamphlets on their cookware on us, plus they actually gave us our voucher for our vacation (which I read over later and found it to be bullcrap). The whole thing was a crock, and I would never have ANYTHINNG to do with these people again, and neither should any of you other ladies either! Sorry for the long story, but it is important (and funny!)
  • Options
    I just got a phone call from these people and went straight to the internet and of course my trusty Knot.com to find out more. Although a free honeymoon to save us some money would be wonderful, I think I'm going to pass. From what I have read so far, it is not a scam and is a real company. But their cookware is ridiculously expensive. The trip is real but in no-way is it free. I've heard of these things before and I agree with someone above who said there will be so many restrictions regarding the trip and of course you will be responsible for the taxes, your airfare, etc. Not sure if its worth it. I'd rather just plan our honeymoon myself stress free and restriction free!
    Married on October 22, 2011; For Sale - http://buymyweddingitems.weebly.com
  • Options
    I'm from Virginia, me and my fiance received a call from Bella Bridal Network a few weeks ago. The lady on the phone said straight up that for the vacation, i would have to pay airfare and taxes. Which is a no brainer considering that anything you win you have to pay taxes for! We went to the presentation which lasted maybe sixty minutes, and the guy doing the presentation was awesome, he was hilarious and he cooked up an apple cobbler in the pan on the stove! We ended up buying a set because of the financing plan they had, and we just got our pans the other day. The very first day that we got the pans i cleaned them and used it to make a cake on the stove, it came out awesome lol. Now as for the free things that we won, we did walk out with the 3 day 2 night vacation package. our demonstrator told us that we would have to pay to get there, he said we could fly, take a cruise or swim if we wanted to lol. we also got a Carlson craft coupon, which you have to pay for shipping and handling to receive the coupon book, which is 4.95. we decided not to use that one though. The last thing received was a membership to coupon dough, which is a coupon website that you can print off coupons from and discounts to like restaurants and what not. So overall, the sales guy for us wasn't pushy at all! the free gifts were awesome, i booked our vacation to Dominican republic, and can't wait to go in December, when it'll be freezing here and nice and warm there :). another thing that we got because we bought something was a 4night 5 day vacation to one of the destinations. also the guy that did our presentation told us that they got our information from just signing up to go to a wedding show, if you registered to go to a wedding show then that's how they got your info! so from my EXPERIENCE i say it's not a scam, and I had a great time going. :) thank you!
  • Options
    to Hmarie72592: How was the trip? Worth the airfaire and taxes? My concern is you would get down there and then get hit with a bunch of fees.... true?

Please help!
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Hi.  I just went to this presentation and received the gifts.  I wanted to also know how your trip went.  Did you only have to pay for taxes, $99, and transportation? 

n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_simplicity-gourmet-simplicity-life-travel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:df16bb50-1398-4e19-bc3c-d30501f85b31Post:61cb2090-2a2d-4a75-ab12-985acfe33e71">Re: Simplicity Gourmet & Simplicity Life Travel</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm from Virginia, me and my fiance received a call from Bella Bridal Network a few weeks ago. The lady on the phone said straight up that for the vacation, i would have to pay airfare and taxes. Which is a no brainer considering that anything you win you have to pay taxes for! We went to the presentation which lasted maybe sixty minutes, and the guy doing the presentation was awesome, he was hilarious and he cooked up an apple cobbler in the pan on the stove! We ended up buying a set because of the financing plan they had, and we just got our pans the other day. The very first day that we got the pans i cleaned them and used it to make a cake on the stove, it came out awesome lol. Now as for the free things that we won, we did walk out with the 3 day 2 night vacation package. our demonstrator told us that we would have to pay to get there, he said we could fly, take a cruise or swim if we wanted to lol. we also got a Carlson craft coupon, which you have to pay for shipping and handling to receive the coupon book, which is 4.95. we decided not to use that one though. The last thing received was a membership to coupon dough, which is a coupon website that you can print off coupons from and discounts to like restaurants and what not. So overall, the sales guy for us wasn't pushy at all! the free gifts were awesome, i booked our vacation to Dominican republic, and can't wait to go in December, when it'll be freezing here and nice and warm there :). another thing that we got because we bought something was a 4night 5 day vacation to one of the destinations. also the guy that did our presentation told us that they got our information from just signing up to go to a wedding show, if you registered to go to a wedding show then that's how they got your info! so from my EXPERIENCE i say it's not a scam, and I had a great time going. :) thank you!
    Posted by hmarie72592[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    sroan05sroan05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
    I attended a bridal show and was called twice in one day regarding a "free trip/honeymoon to an all-inclusive resort." To receive this "free" trip, my fiance and I would have to attend a pots and pan demonstration presented by "NutriChef." We went, although I was very skeptical. They did have some awesome products...but they were $5000 for a set! Yeah right! Prior to going I had Googled the name "NutriChef" several times just to come up with no negative reviews. They didn't harass us to buy anything and seemed very sincere about giving out these trips just to get their name out there.  At the end of the presentation, they did provide us with the information on how to book our trip. The company they use to book the trips through is "Bella Bridal Network" who also goes by the name "Grand Incentives" AND "Simplicity Life Travel." After Googling all of these companies, here is what I gathered. There are a lot of reviews from people who didn't even go to the presentation and just assumed it was a scam. But here's the truth: yes, you in fact DO get a trip. HOWEVER (you should have known that was coming) there is a catch. Before you can book your trip, you have to pay $24.99 per person for an application fee. THEN, you have to pay $50 per person to upgrade your trip to all-inclusive. And of course you pay the taxes (the only cost that was mentioned in the presentation.) After you have paid that, you pick the top 3 destinations you would like to travel to along with the travel dates, and the travel dates for all 3 HAVE to be 30 days apart. They will not tell you which one you have received and you will not receive a confirmation after you put in the request. You have to physically CALL 30 days before the first choice and then they will most likely tell you to call back 30 days before your next selected date because that selection has no available rooms. You call back 30 days prior to the next selected date...same thing. Third? You guessed it, same thing! They will then apologize that all of your selections were unavailable and booked, and then send you to a destination of THEIR choice. (Yeah, good luck with getting a good rate for a plane ticket 30 days before you're scheduled to go on a trip.) At this point, you will probably accept anything because you are so annoyed and out about $250 (and about 3 months past your wedding) OR you will request a refund...which you will never get. I would prefer to skip the BS and just book where I want to go through the resort website and have the security of knowing I have a guaranteed honeymoon/trip booked. Like I said, it's hard to find actual reviews about someone really receiving the trip; mostly it is everyone being skeptical about the presentation (which can be from different companies than NutriChef) and automatically assuming it's scam. It is, but it isn't at the same time. While you get your trip, it's not entirely free. You will be paying taxes, application fees, upgrade fees AND lose a little bit of sanity along the line. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is! Nothing in life is free. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    sroan05sroan05 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    Please start a new thread sroan05.  Dont' wake the zombie threads, the last comment was a year and a half ago, and the original thread was started 4 years ago.

• Options
    @KnotPorscha, a lock please?
  • Options
    I work for the company Hammer Stahl which is a member of the Bella Bridal Network and understand how you could be skeptical about any kind of trip giveaway.  The gift we provide engaged couples for attending the preview is not too good to be true, and it is absolutely not a timeshare.  All of Simplicity Life Travel (the travel agency) services are provide through Apple Vacations.  The gift provides accommodations to an all inclusive resort.  Couples can choose from any of the resorts listed here: http://www.simplicitylifetravel.com/index.php?id=23
    Couples are responsible for their travel and resort taxes and fees, usually $200 or less per couple.  If I didn't work here and know the gifts were not only legitimate but saved most of the couples a significant amount on their honeymoon, I would be skeptical too. However I don't think I would post my opinion about a company or a gift they offer as being a scam when I really didn't know.  If anyone has questions about any of the gifts Bella Bridal Network offers and would like to ask someone who actually knows the companies involved that provide gifts to the brides you can email me at dforsythe@hammerstahl.com.

Devlin Forsythe
    Hammer Stahl

VENDORS AREN'T ALLOWED HERE

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards