Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Don't want anyone random making a speech

I met my fiance through a mutual friend.  Ever since we got together, this friend has informed everyone she knows that she "set us up".  After we got engaged, I had a fear that this mutual friend was going to want to try and make a speech at the reception about how she introduced us, etc.  It seems irrational to worry about, but she had done the same thing at another friend's wedding, unannounced.

However, she just informed me that she wants to make a speech at the reception about how we met/she introduced us! I don't want to hurt her feelings, but how do I firmly tell her no? I figure the day of, I will tell the MC to make sure not to hand over the mic to anyone that isn't on the program...we will probably just have the MOH and best man speak.

Re: Don't want anyone random making a speech

• Options
    To avoid having to have your MC take away the mic (which he can still do), I would definitely talk to her about it the next time she brings it up. I might say, "That's really sweet of you to want to make a speech, but we're just having our honor attendants give brief toasts at the reception."

If this friend is invited to the RD, a compromise might be to let her give a little speech there, but again, even that isn't required.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    I'd tell her that the two of you don't want to have more than a couple speeches. Thank her for wanting to say something, but decline her offer. And make sure you don't have an "open mic" policy at all.
  • Options
    Just say that it's very nice for her to think of you on your wedding day but your keeping the speeches to a minimum and don't feel it'd be appropriate to have her speak when you have to say no to others as well.  Then you really have to keep the speeches to a minimum, but I think that's best at weddings anyhow!

Definitely speak with the MC as well about mic usage.
  • Options
    Yea, we are definitely planning on keeping the speeches to a minimum! More time for dancing! Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards