Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Joplin Tornado

I'm sorry I keep posting about this, but it was so close to home, and the stories coming out are just so sad. We just packed up 5 bags with of clothes, and I'm going through our pantry looking for canned food. I cannot even imagine what this family is going through: (Clicky)

Re: Joplin Tornado

• Options
    They're hoping that number will go down as people start coming back into the area-they're saying they think people have probably left the area and have been unable to contact family members. I know there were several people that work at the sister-store of FI's store that haven't shown up for work and aren't able to be contacted. I'm just praying the weather holds out for them tonight.
  • Options
    Holy cow that would be horrible. I forget who it was, but someone posted video of a first person account of the tornado. It was sooo creepy.
  • Options

This stuff breaks my heart to pieces.. And as an animal lover, I can't stand the thought of all the hurt or lost dogs that are terrified and confused... poor animals :'(

My step-grandma's house was hit in Harvest, AL last month. 3 time her house has been destroyed by a tornado... I don't understand why she didn't just move after the first.. or second time.. or even now..

I'm just thankful I live where there are no tornados... That is some scary sht .... />_<

• Options
    I posted that on FB yesterday Birdie. It was horrible. We're facing an almost 50% chance of severe storms, including the possibility for tornados again tonight.
  • Options
    That's right I thought it was you! Sorry, it's been a loonnnnggg day. I saw there were storms last night too. :(
  • Options
    Also, I can't remember. Are you really from MO and TK insists on listing you as from AK?
  • Options
    Birdie, yes. I'm in Springfield. Joplin is about an hour and a half from here. Between this and the flooding from Lake Taneycomo a few weeks ago, our area has had it's fair share of bad breaks lately.
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Jill I didn't realize you were so close. I feel like we were so lucky to be missed. For a tornado of this strength to stay on the ground for so long is just so so rare. I am hopeful that the death count won't grow too terribly higher, and I'm so thankful that the vast majority of residents were safe.

Scary stuff, but I'm amazed the outpouring of support from the community. I heard hundreds of thousands has already been raised by Missourians.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Tornado season has been awful this year.  My parents (who still live in St. Louis) have just about had it.  I don't remember any year growing up being this active.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Waiting to meet the baby broccoli on 5/5/2013!
  • Options
    Aragx6, I don't know if you're familiar with 417 Magazine, but they always do a deal of the day, like Groupon. Today's was a $10 donation to Convoy of Hope. They've already raised 6,500 . I am absolutely amazed by the outpouring of care.
  • Options
    Docta, me either! I'm from Central IL, so we're right in the middle of it, but I can never remember it being this bad.
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    I've lived in the midwest all of my 26 years and I agree -- never have I seen a tornado season like this. Hopefully that means we'll have a few (like a million?) quiet years to follow.
    Lizzie
  • Options
    Jill did you ever hear anymore of the backstory with that video that you posted? I wondered if they were directly hit or if the gas station was destroyed.

I found this video too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXAONuL9tM
  • Options
    Hey! I am from Springfield, too and am so so saddened by this event. I have never seen anything like this in all my years in Missouri.

I will pass along to anyone that wishes to donate, that FEMA is asking that people cut down on the unsolicted donations of goods and clothing because they simply do not have the resources to sort it all out once it arrives in Joplin and very few places to store it all. If you ARE donating clothing or household items or food (which is completely needed) please bring it to a local church or drop off site so they can do the sorting and the volunteers actually in Joplin don't have to do it. Anyone else that is compelled to donate to the cause, monetary donations are the easiest way. Convoy of Hope (locally run), The Red Cross and the United Way each have a number to text to donate $10.

Jill: Do you know when they are going to all non-medical volunteers to come assist with clean up? I know they won't be able to let us in until the search and rescue mission is over... but I want to be able to go help once we can.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_joplin-tornado?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e3a38c5e-4255-4ee2-bf9d-d9f0f6cc1cd3Post:b94893fa-7f91-4a69-90da-cc285d5392d1">Re: Joplin Tornado</a>:
    [QUOTE]Jill did you ever hear anymore of the backstory with that video that you posted? I wondered if they were directly hit or if the gas station was destroyed. I found this video too: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXAONuL9tM" rel='nofollow'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXAONuL9tM</a>
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

I heard one of the people from the gas station interviewed on NPR last night. He said that the whole gas station was destroyed and that the cooler was moved while they were inside of it. There were holes in the sides of the cooler that they had to crawl out of. It was a pretty heart-wrenching interview.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    So sad. My thoughts and prayers are with the victims. And they say they could get more bad weather tonight.
  • Options
    This is so sad.  I'd seriously love to go down and help if they needed a non-medical person to do anything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Andy, right now they just need monetary donations. They can't bring in any other volunteers until the search and rescue is officially called off.
  • Options
    I'm assuming it was an F5, but have they stated how strong it was yet?
  • Options
    It was reportedly very near 200mph with vortex tornadoes at closer to 300mph.
    C+D, Four kids, two kids-in-law, four grandkids
  • Options
    I went and bought $145 worth of stuff for the shelters yesterday.  It was only about 25 miles from where I live.  I can't believe it hit so close to home.  A lot of FI's coworkers lost their homes.
  • Options
    mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    Jal, I hope that you're staying safe tonight, if the tornado is moving towards you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards