Wedding Etiquette Forum

no flip flops for WP

2»

Re: no flip flops for WP

• edited July 2012
    Thanks for all your opinions and advice ladies! I would most likely talk to my girls and see where they stand. I am obviously not gonna force them to wear something they don't want to, buy I can still suggest it.

Oh and to PP who asked about my wedding date being too far out, I'm doing this because only my MOH lives in Colorado (where I'll be getting married) and the rest are either from out of town or out of the country, but thanks for your input as well Wink
  • I just think it's ridiculous for Mery to assume what type of footwear people do or do not own.  Seriously, the only flats I do own are flip flops, sandals (not suitable for a wedding) or running shoes.  I'm short, with super short legs and I love heels; I actually can't stand the way ballet slippers or flats looks on me.  If a bride asked me to wear them (freakin inserts or no), I would, but I would hate every second of it and likely avoid the photographer as much as possible. 
  • i personally do not like ballet flats because my feet are wide and ones just a little bigger than the other ( embarassing moment here) . i would be upset if someone told me i HAD to wear them. I

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_no-flip-flops-for-wp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e615d846-20ab-4576-b054-6e0b126ff5fePost:e4e5b9b8-e659-4414-88d2-5f0012d7842c">Re: no flip flops for WP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I must be the only one who hates ballet flats.  I must walk weird because they are not all the comfortable to me. Meh,    anyway.  I think dictating what you BMs where on their feet while they are dancing is stepping over the bounds.   They got a dress, shoes, maybe got their hair done, nails, bought gifts, spent hours getting ready with you, taking pictures, overall being somewhat in the spot light.   Surely you can over look some flip-flops on a BM on a dance floor packed with other people.
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  Personally, I am always married to my shoes for the entire night.  I would never agree to wearing any heels that I wouldn't stay in through dancing... this has sometimes caused bruised feet, but so be it.  I am a girl devoted to my heels.

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Going barefoot = cheap and common?  Really?   

Seems a little harsh to me. 

Sure, the thought of Britney Spears going barefoot in a gas station bathroom is enough to make ANYONE shudder, but kicking off shoes at a wedding is cheap and COMMON?  Them's fightin' words 'round these parts.
  • bongebonge member
    First Comment
    I cant see being so zillaish that i would have said no flip flops. My one bm changed into lime green crocs soon as she got to the reception, before supper was even served. My photog got a pic, they look funny but she was comfortable & that is what mattered, not what was on their feet. I changed into flat sandals, nbd. 
    230 image Invited
    154 image Are ready to party
    56 image Missing out
    20 image Can't find the mailbox (tick tock)

RSVP Date: 6/1/2012
  • Regardless of what you or anyone feels about flip flops in general, I think asking your BP members to refrain from wearing them or any other specific shoe during the reception is micromanagerial.

Heck, my sister ditched her BM dress minutes after the photo in my siggy was snapped because she wanted to be in something more comfortable.  Did I care? No.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_no-flip-flops-for-wp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e615d846-20ab-4576-b054-6e0b126ff5fePost:0e473ee4-fb7e-4cce-bd2a-4abac0ad7dc2">Re: no flip flops for WP</a>:
    [QUOTE]My wedding shoes ARE Flip Flops, so I wouldn't care if anyone in the wedding wore them. No one cares ... really. It isn't something you will remember.
    Posted by FormerlyAK[/QUOTE]

THIS for me and my BM's!! We all have long dresses so our feet will be covered anyway!
    Cheryl (25) Andy (24) Newlyweds as of 8-17-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pregnancy week by week
  • I think we need Mel to swoop in and give us her thoughts on wearing shoes in public. Until then, Team Eagles.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_no-flip-flops-for-wp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e615d846-20ab-4576-b054-6e0b126ff5fePost:5afecdbc-7124-4f3b-a61b-aa18c32d5cc0">Re: no flip flops for WP</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: no flip flops for WP : False! Lol. Have you never heard of Dr. Scholls or orthopedic inserts? Yup, cheap flats have no support. They suck. That's why I have to put cushioning inserts in them. Or buy flats that have cushioning, which are more than a few dollars. But I have trouble understanding how flip flops or heels are more supportive or comfortable. I also have a problem with my foot which makes bare feet uncomfortable.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]

So because you own flats and like Dr Scholls, everyone should? 

I'm sorry, but if someone bought me cheap flats because they didn't like my flip flops and then told me I had to provide my own foot inserts to make them comfortable.  I'd put them in my closet and wear my flip flops anyways, because I know those are comfortable.
    Anniversary
  • edited July 2012
    WOW, people have taken this out of context. I never said I was gonna buy CHEAP flats/shoes for them, I said "hopefully not too expensive" meaning I'm not gonna buy them Manolo Blahnik or Tori Burch shoes. I also never mentioned anything about foot inserts or that I was gonna buy the same pair of shoes for all, obviously I would have them choose their shoe. 

Lastly, this is an etiquette forum, and if you think asking my BP not to wear flip flops is not good etiquette, neither is wearing said flip flops to ANY formal event (ie. a wedding, unless it's a beach wedding)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_no-flip-flops-for-wp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e615d846-20ab-4576-b054-6e0b126ff5fePost:d18cc00a-3179-47c7-a348-821b97964641">Re: no flip flops for WP</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just think it's ridiculous for Mery to assume what type of footwear people do or do not own.  Seriously, the only flats I do own are flip flops, sandals (not suitable for a wedding) or running shoes.  <strong>I'm short, with super short legs and I love heels</strong>; I <strong>actually can't stand the way ballet slippers or flats looks on me</strong>.  If a bride asked me to wear them (freakin inserts or no), I would, but I would hate every second of it and likely avoid the photographer as much as possible. 
    Posted by Girlie1030[/QUOTE]

Same - I think my legs look fine in flip flops but they look awful in flats.

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking them to not wear flip flops - just don't dictate what shoes they wear. Unless it is a beach wedding, seeing flip flops at a wedding is kind of one of my pet peeves.  Seriously, there are a zillion options out there for shoes, how hard is it to pick something comfortable but formal enough for a wedding?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_no-flip-flops-for-wp?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e615d846-20ab-4576-b054-6e0b126ff5fePost:59f7cefa-5dee-458a-91bc-05b23a9cb391">Re: no flip flops for WP</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: no flip flops for WP : Yes.  The shoes that everyone else is wearing on that dance floor have been in the bathroom, in the parking lot, in gum, in spit, possibly in dog dirt.  That's a lot of bacteria on the floor.  Plus, adults wear shoes in public.  The end. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Go Eagles. I was once in a wedding where they asked that we go barefoot in a church that doubled as a gym, so I guess flip-flops are a step up from that. I luckily broke my ankle a few weeks before, so I didn't catch anything, but I heard tell of a few cases of creepiest going around.

I'm wildly torn about the shoe debate. I guess if you provide the flats, you're in the clear.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards