Wedding Etiquette Forum

Is this weird?

I just got a Christmas card in the mail from my ILs and it's one of those photo cards.  The picture they used is one of our formal pics in the church from the wedding, but they've cropped themselves out of it, so it's just H and I (and I can see a little bit of MIL's shoulder).  The text is "Our joy this season is Sid and Heather" (H and myself).  

This strikes me as weird, but I don't know if it's just because I'm biased against her or if it's actually weird.  The part that gets me is the fact that they cropped themselves out of it.  Shouldn't they be in the card that they're sending to all their friends/family?  What do you think?  

Re: Is this weird?

• Yeah, I'd say that's a little wierd.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • So they sen out Christmas cards with a pic of you and your H on them?  Yeah, I would find that really strange.  
    Photobucket
  • Yes, that is definitely weird IMO.  In fact, I think I would feel a bit uncomfortable about it but I'm not really sure why.  Maybe the fact that people I might not even know would be receiving my wedding picture in the mail for Christmas. 
  • So, what they did was send out Christmas cards to everyone.... with other people's pictures in them? Yeah, that's a bit weird.
    I mean, it's not weird for a mother to send out pictures of her children in Christmas cards, but once the kids are adults... it becomes weird.

What makes it super weird, though, is that she sent a copy to you guys.... as if you needed to be told about the joy of your own wedding this year.
  • Definitely weird.

I'm also biased against almost everything my MIL does though. This should be a fun Christmas!
  • Glad it's not just me!

I just can't put my finger on why exactly it's weird though.  Partly the people we don't know getting pictures of us for Christmas for sure.  Maybe if she's mentioned that she was doing this beforehand it would've been different too.  I dunno

And it IS weird that they sent to us, especially since they live half an hour away and we're seeing them in three days.
  • That's really strange, esp. the fact that they cropped themselves out of their own Christmas card.

Andplusalso, since I'm a freak about following copyright laws, my first thought was "did she get permission from the photographer?!"
  • Definitely strange. Why in the world would someone want to put the recipient of a card's picture on it?
  • Are you sure this one wasn't just for you?  Possibly they found pictures of all the people they wanted to send cards to and sent them each individually those pictures?

• Very strange. My grandparents do a Christmas card every that has a group photo of all of us grandkids (we take it when we get together for Thanksgiving), but I feel like it isn't as strange because they also accompany it with a photo of themselves. They also send a letter with it talking about the different events that they and all of the grandkids have done this year.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-weird-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e7333a95-c876-465a-80b6-d2bb5f1e5340Post:4b105340-da73-49fd-8f26-a542bafa3d79">Re: Is this weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you sure this one wasn't just for you?  Possibly they found pictures of all the people they wanted to send cards to and sent them each individually those pictures?
    Posted by filaw[/QUOTE]
    That sounds like a lot of work lol. And It doesn't really match up with what was written on the card, though.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-weird-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e7333a95-c876-465a-80b6-d2bb5f1e5340Post:cea51cc6-f9a4-4a09-8f1b-9924d6924088">Re: Is this weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this weird? : That sounds like a lot of work lol. And It doesn't really match up with what was written on the card, though.
    Posted by Simply Fated[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree, it does sound like an awful lot of work, but the option sounds almost equally weird, so that might be what I would assume if it happened to me.</div><div>
    </div><div>I also would assume that along with the personalized pic would be a personalized messaged.  Basically, they sent out holiday cards that said, our joy this season is "you guys"</div>
  • Yeah, definitely not just for us.  She just us an email about how much her friends have enjoyed seeing our wedding picture on the Christmas cards.  I guess she's just really proud?  I dunno.  So strange.
  • When I worked in the greeting card industry, people actually did this all the time. I remember creating one that had both sons and one daughter that all married that year. In my world, it's not all that unusual. Mostly, they'd just put a picture of their kids. I'd say 20% of the time it was the whole family. The rest: wedding pictures, graduation pictures, kids, grandkids, pets.
    planning

• If it had been them plus you guys, I'd say not weird at all. The wedding was probably their biggest news this year.

But just you guys? And cropping a picture they were originally in rather than just using a pic of the two of you? Weird.
  • i think its odd.
    i also personally despite pciture christmas cards.  a picture IN a card is nice, but i dont like the actual card being a photo, and pre-printed with names.  its completely impersonal.
  • So glad to get some validation here!  When I mentioned to H that I thought it was weird, he just shrugged and said he wasn't surprised that his mom did this.  I guess I've still got lots of undiscovered weirdness to look forward to.

Emily - I think that's the biggest thing, why didn't they just use one of the other (1300+) pro pics instead of cropping themselves out?  I think that one has something to do with MIL thinking the pictures like the one in my sig are "pretty but not really something you can put in a frame or display anywhere" as I was told.  I'm guessing the formal ones with them in were the only ones that she deemed appropriate for the Christmas card.  But again -- why crop yourselves out?  I should probably just stop trying to figure it out.
  • A lot of my friends send pics of just their kids, without them in it.  But their kids are under 10, so maybe that's a little different.

anyway, yes a little weird, but not unheard of in my mind.  And actually, I think it is really sweet that they are so proud of you guys and obviously accepting of you joining their family.  I'm jealous!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_this-weird-8?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e7333a95-c876-465a-80b6-d2bb5f1e5340Post:9250f176-2e26-4438-afc0-f49a537e4911">Re: Is this weird?</a>:
    [QUOTE]i think its odd. i also personally despite pciture christmas cards.  a picture IN a card is nice, but i dont like the actual card being a photo, and pre-printed with names.  its completely impersonal.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming you mean you "despise" them?    :)

I love photo cards!!  I actually keep them in an album vs. regular cards just get tossed after New Years.  It is so nice to go back and see photos of the kids as they grow up each year.  The cards I hate are ones covered in glitter.  They are very pretty, but SO messy.
  • I would be a little skeeved out of my inlaws did that.  It's just...odd. 

If I wanted to hear the pitter-patter of little feet, I'd put shoes on the cat. image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards