Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Happy Old Year's Eve

That is what the islanders call it.  We celecbrate the ending of this year, not really the beginning of the New Year.

So far mine is not turning out that good.

It's cold and rainy and I have a trip this afternoon.  Okay, I admit that cold is not what most of you would call cold.  But to us St Thomians, it's jacket weather.

If it rains,the boat trip tonight will be aweful. DH would be screwed also because all the restaurants are booked and have outside seating.  If it rains, there is no where to put everyone under cover.  Even the ballrooms are booked up.

DH also has a nasty staph infection that needs to be cut out of his leg this morning.

And most everyone I know has to work late tonight, so my Old Year's Eve celebration will be me here by myself.  Frown

I can't wait till the New Year and all this craziness is gone.

What is everyone else doing today/tonight?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 

Re: Happy Old Year's Eve

• Options
    I'm up early on my day off! WOOT! I'm going to clean the house, do some laundry, putz on the internet, go to my little brothers and drink some wine and play DJ hero, THEN, I'm going to my friends house to help her make appetizers for a party she's going to (read, I'm drinking wine and watching her do it), then Scott and I are off to dinner at a place we haven't eaten before WWAAAAYYYY outside of town, then board game night at a friends house. Score.

Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Oy, that sounds like a recipe for a very long day, lynda. I'll be hoping for no rain.

DH and I are chilling at home tonight. We were invited to hang out at some friends' house, but neither of us is very keen on being a target for drunk drivers, and said friends live an hour away. So we'll be making pot roast, drinking cheap champagne and playing Wii. Pretty much like last year, minus the pot roast.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    That sounds like a crappy way to spend "old new years eve"........which really doesn't make sense because the eve is of the new year - not the old year. 

Hopefully the weather clears up for you.  We woke up to slushy snow and now it's raining and will probably rain all day.  YUCK.  We're going to dinner tonight, I wanted to just go home afterwards but the couple that is going with us HAS to go to the club afterwards, which I have no desire to do.  oh well, at least the husband of the other couple is the dd so I can just get super silly. 
  • Options
    Fish, that sounds like a very long and fun day. Did you schedule a nap in there?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Infertile, living childfree, advocating like a BOSS
  • Options
    I don't DO naps. ;)

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    Fische your day sounds fun.  I love the drinking wine while your friend cooks.  

Stackey - the locals interrupt thing differently down here.  They say that everyone parties on the evening of the last day of the old year. So the party is  celebrating the year ending, not the beginning of the new year.  Because the new year as not arrived.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    Awe Lynda that stinks.  But at least you won't be one of the diners stuck out in the rain?  I can almost promise we'll be online tonight, so I'll be around to KUI if you get bored.

DH is on watch tonight, so we'll be spending NYE on the yacht.  It is raining and there has been a huge cloud over us since yesterday.  I'm hoping it clears through so we can see the fireworks and the Full Moon.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_happy-old-years-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb7835ba-29c4-47b2-9dcb-9c246fd4fd71Post:8600952e-6272-413b-9ed3-a8a866907990">Re: Happy Old Year's Eve</a>:
    [QUOTE]Awe Lynda that stinks.  But at least you won't be one of the diners stuck out in the rain?  I can almost promise we'll be online tonight, so I'll be around to KUI if you get bored. DH is on watch tonight, so we'll be spending NYE on the yacht.  It is raining and there has been a huge cloud over us since yesterday.  I'm hoping it clears through so we can see the fireworks and the Full Moon.
    Posted by aMrsin09[/QUOTE]

Awe.. thanks aMrsin09.   DH and I decided to quit drinking for the month of January.  I might have to drink the champagne in my fridge as the last hoorah.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_happy-old-years-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb7835ba-29c4-47b2-9dcb-9c246fd4fd71Post:7c8538b8-5da3-4270-b12d-2d58f91c6cdf">Re: Happy Old Year's Eve</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Happy Old Year's Eve :   DH and I decided to quit drinking for the month of January. 
    Posted by lyndausvi[/QUOTE]

Gasp...that sounds sacreligious in the islands.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dude! Why no drinking in January?

The Margarita Evolution
  • Options
    happy new/old year/eve whatever!
    I've been up since 4 am cuz for some reason I can't sleep. boo.
    I work this evening until midnight, so J will be joining me at the hospital so we can at least say 'Happy New Year!' to eachother at midnight (I don't get home til 12:15 usually). Then we're heading to the McDonald's drive-thru and coming home to toast with Lambic and watch The Hangover. Not too bad considering I have to work!
  • Options
    lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2009
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_happy-old-years-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb7835ba-29c4-47b2-9dcb-9c246fd4fd71Post:4f5f6da9-ed9b-43eb-892a-39f734c96798">Re: Happy Old Year's Eve</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dude! Why no drinking in January?
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

A few of our friends have been doing it for a few years, so we thought we would give it a try also.  We have been going out a little too much (IMO).  Going to the bar means, DH gambles, we both drink, do shots, I end up with greasy fried foods latenight.  Overall  it's just  not a healthy lifestyle.  We do not drink at home very often, so not drinking there will be easy.  I think we both just want a break

Plus it's the best month.  Feb = superbowl parties.  March = St Patrick's day, April = friends are coming down, June = min- vacation, July = our birthdays.  Aug = vacation,  Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec  = Football.

I hope we make it.  My team is in the playoffs.  It will be tough not to drink on Sunday watching the games.

Good news, if we make it to the Superbowl, it's in Feb.

• Options
    Good morning...no amazing plans for us tonight, probably just packing and moving more stuff over to our new apartment.  BUT it does have a fireplace so maybe we'll get cozy in front of it and make a toast.  We have to move the bed and couch today so I'm hoping that at some point it stops precipitating! 
  • Options
    Good morning! We just woke up, which is pretty late for us. Ben and I are going to leave the house and play around while FI cleans and then we are giong out to dinner with friends and then game night.
  • Options
    Morning!

I'm at work.  I'm hoping they do what they did the night before Thanksgiving, which was tell everyone to leave at 2 p.m. but let us put 5 pm on our time sheets.  I'm not optimistic, though.  FI has the  day off, jerk, so it was super hard getting out of bed this morning.

We're going to the Melting Pot for a late dinner and will probably come home and ring in the new year just the two of us.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_happy-old-years-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb7835ba-29c4-47b2-9dcb-9c246fd4fd71Post:3541da40-50b1-4dde-b0b4-3eb5c6da7f2f">Re: Happy Old Year's Eve</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't DO naps. ;)
    Posted by crfische[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, must be the Adderall.
  • Options
    I went to bed feeling anxious and woke up feeling anxious, though I have no idea why. It usually is for no reason. All I know is I hope 2010 is better than 2009 because for atleast half of the year it royally sucked. It wasnt as bad as the later half of 2008, but it still sucked.

I think I am sleeping too  much because I keep waking up feeling hungover but I havnt drank since boxing day. I hate being unemployed. Fische, gimmie a job doin something useful, if anyone has a spare job lying around its you.
  • Options
    Good morning, all! Lynda, I hope your DH is okay; don't want to mess around with Staph infections.

My day is pretty busy. Husband works tonight (big surprise there), so no NYE plans for us together. I'm in charge of the meal at our church's weekly soup kitchen tonight, so I've got 3 pounds of black-eyed peas in the oven cooking even as I type. I've also got to make lemon squares and honey-pecan bars for a party my mom is having tomorrow, so I'll be spending most of the day in the kitchen. At least she's  paying me for them. Oh, and pigs in a blanket, too. The party is for 45 people, so not too bad.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_happy-old-years-eve?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:eb7835ba-29c4-47b2-9dcb-9c246fd4fd71Post:28151fe1-7c1b-4370-97eb-b19e5d661934">Re: Happy Old Year's Eve</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good morning, all! Lynda, I hope your DH is okay; don't want to mess around with Staph infections. My day is pretty busy.
    Posted by sarabellam[/QUOTE]

Thanks..   He just called.  He says it eff'n hurts.  I also believe the pain medication is making him loopy.  They have some 700+ reservations tonight.  I do not think he is really in a position to be cooking tonight or even talking to guests.  I hope he makes it till midnight.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards