North Carolina
Options

Name Changing Passport predicament

Ok so we have a trip to St. Thomas at the end of January, we're also going to be visiting some other islands where we'll need our passport.  I'm not planning on starting to switch my name over until later this month / early next month.  Is it even worth it to switch my name if I won't have my passport changed?  Or can I only switch my DL and SSC and still have the passport in my maiden name.
image Ellie and Morgan

Re: Name Changing Passport predicament

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You should def. be able to complete it all by January.
    imageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure you can leave your passport in your maiden name as long as the name on all of your plane (or cruise) tickets and such match. But I also agree with Kristy that you should have enough time to get a new passport with your married name if you wanted to go that route.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to be safe, I would call and ask. If you were just traveling in the states, I'd say carry a copy of your marriage certificate and you should be okay. I'm not sure about traveling out of state.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know they are now starting that thing where your plane tickets have to match the full name on your DL.  I would call the passport office and see how quickly they can get it done.  With new restrictions, lots of people have been trying to get passports and they are swamped!  My brother had to wait 3 months for his earlier this year.  Then you have to account for all the holidays coming up.  I would definitely call and make sure they can get it done in time before you start to switch things.  I would not switch anything if you can't switch it all in a timely matter.  last thing you want is to got switch something later only to find out it won't be accepted b/c names don't match up.
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've also heard that it has been taking a while to get passports. You could always have it expedited and it will get to you in plenty of time. The names do have to match though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards