North Carolina
Options

Name Change???

I am kinda having the same issue as Kristi..... but sooner.... I have to fly to Michigan for work in a month.... I was going to book my flight today, and then realized that I can't book it under my married name yet, bc my govt IDs are all still in my maiden name..... i guess my question is how long did it take to get your stuff in the mail? and is your name changed instantly once you go to the ss office???

Re: Name Change???

• Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I fly southwest a lot. They sent out messages to everyone who has an account with them telling us to change our information to match our DL. Your plane ticket must match the name on your DL now to get through security. I don't know if you will be stopped yet if you already have a ticket. Just an FYI.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It took a week to get my new ss card, but once you leave the ss you are offically "ur new name". They give you a paper with the new name then you can take it to the DMV the next day and get a new drivers license. I know in VA they send your new drivers license, not sure if its the same in NC. I remember in NC i got my license right away when I got my over 21 license. So it shouldn't take long and as pp said all your info on ur plance ticket has to match ur drivers license.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually I think they mail you your license now - new laws. I could be wrong, but I think it can take up to a couple of weeks =/
  • Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmmm ok I guess I won't be changing my name for a while :-/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would check before taking my word for it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to the SS office the Monday after my wedding and then to the DMV (with the letter I got from SS) on Wednesday morning. I think I had the new license in the mail in about 10 days. I think you should be able to get it all done, assuming your wedding license has been turned into the Register of Deeds office. (Our priest gave ours to us, and I work across the street, so it wasn't an issue. Do make sure that you confirm the operating hours at the SS office and DMV before going, though. I almost missed the SS office because the ROD had said they were open until 4:30 instead of 4:00. And I did miss the DMV office because I went to the wrong branch first and they told me the correct location was open until 5:00 instead of 4:00.)
  • Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Ladies..... I was thinking the ROD was going to send me something, but I guess not. I'll call them to make sure they've received it, then I'll go over there! Yay! I think I can get it all done on Friday!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My travel agent also suggested that I carry a copy of my marriage certificate with me, just in case.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards