Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Grandma is in hospice

2»

Re: Grandma is in hospice

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    Im only speaking from experience, it means the world to me that I had the chance to say goodbye, to say what I had to say to my grandma before she passed. She didnt know I was there. Seeing her in the end wont erase any memories of good times, but I think not getting that last chance in is something you (general you) might regret.
  • Options
    I just realized that for my legal aspects of healthcare management class this week, we're doing death and dying.  70 pages of case briefs on death and dying the week my grandma goes into hospice.
    my read shelf:
    Amber Lea's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) imageTell Me A Tale
  • Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
  • Options
    kikibabykikibaby member
    First Comment
    edited April 2010
    *Hugs* Night.  I'm so sorry.  I just went through this in the fall with my grandfather... it was really difficult. 

I would go visit if there's any way that you can.  Talk to your professors, you may be surprised at how flexible they can be if they want to be- especially if you can take your school work/laptop with you. 

Feel free to message me on FB if you need to talk tomorrow. 
  • Options
    I am so sorry for your situation, there's never a good time...

Definitely speak to your professors, but also check with family members with her now, the hospice workers are there to help all of you through this transition with the least amount of pain...

God bless...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    *HUGS*, Night.  I'm so sorry.

If you can get a chance to say goodbye, and you think that it will help you, go.  Saying goodbye to my grandma on Hospice was one of the hardest things I ever did, but I'm glad I had that chance, and I carry her words with me always.

*HUGS* again.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• Options
    I'm so sorry Night.  Things like this are awful.  I'm a firm believer that loved ones hear anything you say, no matter what state of mind they're in.  When my dad was in hospice, all of my sisters had talked to him his last week, except for me.  I'd just go in his room and sit quietly day after day.  Finally one day I went in and told him how much I loved him and would miss him, but that it was ok to let go and that i would make sure to take care of mom.   He started breathing really heavy like he was trying to respond.  He died 3 hours later.  Sometimes I feel guilty like if I had talked to him a week prior it would have been one less week he had to suffer.  :( 
  • Options

Normally I just lurk on this board, but I just want to say I'm sorry. I understand your pain because my grandma was placed in hospice instead of a nursing home yesterday.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Oh Night I'm so sorry.  Even when you're expecting it, it's so hard.  Even when you know they're ready (my grandmother had advanced ovarian cancer and when she went into Hospice she asked the nurse, "now just how long is this going to take?"), even when you're ready for their suffering to end, it's still hard.  My grandma passed almost 3 years ago and I still miss her.  I hope that your family can find some peace in this time.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, NS. Vibes to you and your family.
  • Options
    Aw, Night, I'm sorry for this. Take care of yourself.

You too, MissRK.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this at such a critical time in the semester for you, Sprite. Definitely talk to your professors. Hugs to you.
  • Options
    Night & missrekaeagle, I wish you both the best. Losing loved ones is never easy.
  • Options
    Night, we went through this with my grandfather last year.  Honestly, after how much he hated 4 or 5 different nursing homes (in a 3 month span!), he was comfortable in hospice.  The staff was wonderful with him.  I didn't go see him because he had very little idea who anybody was, and I didn't want to remember him that way - I wanted to remember him when he was well.   I called several times a day, the nurses gave me status updates, and the last day, I called when none of my family was there so the nurse held the phone for him so that I could talk to him. 

If you want to go see her, talk to your professors.  They might be much more understanding than you expect.  If you'd rather not - that's ok too.  There are lots of ways to say goodbye, and none of them are wrong.  At this point, you need to do what's best for YOU.

Big hugs.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    *hugs* I'm so sorry. It's really hard, but hospice is a great organization. It's much better than being hooked up to machines in a hospital. When my grandmother was in hospice, they were really nice and caring. I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

And also, when my grandmother went into hospice, I missed 2 or 3 days of classes to go visit. Then I had to miss 2 or 3 days of classes two weeks later when she passed away. This included skipping/rescheduling two one-on-one class meetings with a professor I was doing an independent study with. You should definitely be able to go.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards