North Carolina
Options

Ring cleaning question

This is really a silly question but, have any of you ever asked to be able to go into the back room and watch while they clean your ring? I usually get Diamonds Direct to do this, they are the only ones who I really really trust with my ring(s), but they are really far, and I dont feel like driving all the way down there to get my rings cleaned, I work right near a Jared's, Helzberg Diamonds, etc. I guess Im just a little paranoid, lol.

Re: Ring cleaning question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You should be fine for a cleaning. I'm a little paranoid when it comes to large commercial shops & lengthy repairs, but as long as you're there for the length of the cleaning you should be fine.
  • Options
    birdcagebridebirdcagebride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not to freak you out, but did you see my post about my rings and diamonds direct on my blog. I was SHOCKED at the seconds it took for him to pop my diamond out and re set it back into my original setting. SECONDS!! I'm not even joking. Alan was busy reading something on their wall and he missed the ENTIRE thing. We both couldn't believe it. I will NEVER let my ring out of my sight again. Just to think how many times different jewelers have taken my ring into "the back room" to polish/clean it and how long they have taken makes me think there is a very good chance that I don't have my original diamond. Am I a little paranoid? Maybe. But the opportunity is there for them to switch out your diamond, EASILY. I don't trust any jewelers. Honestly, I would never be able to tell if they switched it out.
    My Blog - My Bio - NC Bride Bio - Pro Video

Photo by Evoke Photography
    image imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    elisab81elisab81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the place i go is CR jewelers in concord mills mall.  I like it because they clean the ring right there in front of you...they actually do repairs in front as well.  No back room shenanigans :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i'm with you on the possibility of them swapping out the diamond. i bought one of their jars of solution and do it myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At Jared's, they'll pop into their sonic cleaner out in the showroom where you can watch. If you want it super cleaned (with the crazy steam machine) they'll take it into their repair shop. The store in Pineville has a giant picture window looking into the shop though, so you can watch them the entire time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for the double post. But since you're kind of paranoid about somebody stealing your diamond, why don't you just get one of those sonic jewelry cleaners to use at home?Amazon has one for $20! [url]http://tinyurl.com/yfaflqg[/url]Then if you need a really good cleaning, you can take it to one of the stores.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ya know, I've never worried about this, but I always take it to CMI where we got our rings. I would ask, but if they really wanted to take your ring, they could have stolen any one of the ones in their store. I wouldn't worry about it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh neat, I didnt realize there were places where I could stand there and watch them do it, I'll probably go over to Jared's or the place up at Concord Mills (thanks Elisa). Interesting, didnt know I could actually purchase a sonic machine, thanks Jess :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to several Jared's down here in FL & the people there have been awesome. They clean it (for free obviously) in a matter of minutes. & they will also rhodium dip it for $25 in 24 hours.Just don't let them hound you for a charge card. I'd just lie & say I already had one. ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    krispychikinkrispychikin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH bought me a sonic cleaning machine along w/ my engagement ring - it works great - I would definitely recommend getting one.  Then you can clean it whenever you like and don't need to worry about someone tampering with your ring.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Bentley, is it free for everyone or only ppl who bought their ring at Jared's?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for a quick cheap way to make your ring shiny lol-- my sister has been married for 9 years and lives far from diamonds direct.  She uses a mechanical toothbrush and a little toothpaste, it makes her ring really shiny!So if yall have a mechanical toothbrush already with an extra brush, you might wanna try it!  Haha kinda silly I know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have cleaning solution from Diamonds Direct, and it makes the diamonds really really sparkly but my ring is platinum and the metal gets REALLY dull, unfortunately, and the only way to really spiff it up and make it super shiny and new, is to have it done at the jewelers. :(
  • Options
    Ang~n~JTAng~n~JT member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sundrop.....that is exactly what I do at times with my diamond when I dont have the time to head to the Jewelry store to get it cleaned. It makes it very shiny!!! Quick & simple! :)
    ******April 23, 2010****** Married to My Best Friend & Loving Life!!!
  • Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI got mine from Helzberg and they will clean it out in front of you, so it never gets out of your sight.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Now that you mention it, it would really freak me out if the ring went into a back room where you couldn't see it.I tried the toothpaste today, and it worked! But it probably needs a professional cleaning every once in a while.  My sister has a platinum ring too.  My FI and I were told by the sales lady that it was a platinum ring.  However it is definitely white gold, clearly says on the ring. Long story with that one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm on vacation right now, so I'll try to explain why in more detail later, but please don't clean your rings using toothpaste. Over the long run it's more wear & tear on your ring than it's worth (a good toothpaste cleaning = about 6 months worth of wear & tear). Soak them in a little winded & rinse clean. It's the easiest safe diy clean.
  • Options
    RobinischoRobinischo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FI and I picked up our wedding bands at Diamonds Direct Southpark today, and my wedding band was way more sparkly than my e-ring.  While they cleaned it for me (which didn't take long at all), the guy who was helping us told me to use ammonia to clean it. He said to soak it in ammonia, use a soft bristle tooth brush to scrub it, and then rinse it in really warm water.  He told me I should do it everyday.  Now, realistically, I am not going to clean my ring like that everyday, but I am going to try it.  He also said that they dry the rings with a hair dryer.
    Bio needs to be updated badly!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Liquid Ivory Soap and a toothbrush...wet the brush, wet the diamond and scrub, scrub scrub (Don't forget to close the drain!)!! My mom worked at Carlyle and Co in college (20 some years ago) and that's how they did it then....when I got my earrings cleaned the last time, I asked the girl how they clean them now and they still do it the same way!! Needless to say, I do it on my own now and they seriously look BEAUTIFUL and SPARKLE afterwards and it's way more convenient to do it yourself!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards