Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Just how tacky are disposables at the reception?

13»

Re: Just how tacky are disposables at the reception?

• Options
    I wouldn't say tacky, but it does lend a somewhat different tone to a wedding. Could you perhaps save money in a different way-maybe by having non-floral centerpiecesthat you could make yourself, or making your own favors?

Family Dollar has an service for eight flatwear for $10.  Way cheaper than renting flatwear at .40 per peice. 
  • Options
    I personally would not want to wash 300 (or even a 100 if you are having a small wedding) plates after a wedding. Let alone washing all the silverware. Maybe it depends on your demographic, but I'm not sure why everyone would freak out if you used paper products? Personally I wouldn't blow my budget on what people are eating on, the food will stand on its own (hopefully) and by the end of the night no one will care that they ate with plastic. If you're trying to be environmentally conscious then buy recycled products.
  • Options

One of my friends got married and bought glass plates from Michael's or AC Moore on sale for really cheap (less than what she could have rented them). You could look at places like that.

• Options
    i also was concerned with the idea of disposables being tacky...my mom however was concerned about doing the dishes after the wedding for a guest count of at least 100...she ordered some disposables online and when i finally saw them i was very relieved...they looked great and were surprisingly heavy and good quality...i dont think people will be breaking their forks while trying to eat after all
  • Options
    You are serving beef tenderloin and are considering using disposables? That is a HUGE no-no in my opinion. Beef tenderloin is a pricey dish, and if you can't afford the proper utensils and plates, then you need to change your menu. I would consider looking at Ikea for dishes and silverware. You can always sell or donate them after the wedding. It would be much nicer to serve food that costs a little less and have a proper place setting rather than serve fancy food on disposable plates.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    this might be weird, but i know goodwill has tons of flatware, and it's dirt cheap. so i would go  buy a bunch, (i dont think it matters if they all dont match), do one BIG load of flatware in the dish washer, and then use them for the reception. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I am so using disposables at my reception.  If people want to judge you because of what everyone eats off of, I wouldn't want them there anyway.  That's ridiculous.

• Options
    Definately at least go for real flatware.  I'd be annoyed enough trying to cut beef tenderloin without a steak knife, but with a plastic knife would really suck.  The fancy plastic plates wouldn't matter quite as much, though. 

Like PP suggested, you can probably hire someone to do the dishes for cheap.  Are your kids teenagers?  Maybe they have friends that could use a few extra bucks for an hour of work. 
  • Options
    I don't think it is tacky and I will probably be using disposable  stuff, but  we don't have very large budge to work with.  You could look at oriental trading company's website for a lot of decorations and disposable products.  Plus with disposable it is way easier to clean up, I would hate to leave my family and his family with a huge mess to clean up at the end of the reception.
  • Options
    My best friend just got married this summer, they did just that & her reception was beautiful. Not a soul judged her, she actually got a lot of compliments from the guests.
  • Options
    It depends on what type of wedding your having. A formal served dinner would be a little odd. If it's more casual, who cares. Do whatever you want. It's your day!!
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    this is why u have a small wedding.
    but my idea is dont try to pass chinet as real china.
    buy cute little cheap coffee mugs and plastic plates but decorate them and make them fun, and have it at a casual wedding, then people will actually compliment on ur choice of dinnerware.
    if u have a super formal wedding, or even semi formal,try something a little expensive. (this is also the only time people will look down upon.)formal/super formal wedding = real china, semi formal= china or cheap china.

casual wedding, plastic plates is the way to go.

• Options
    your family and friends will judge you far less than many of the people on this site.  I wouldn't worry about it - as long as you, your fiance, and whoever's paying (if other than you and your fiance) agree and are happy, then go with it!  I've been to receptions many ways, yes including some with plastic ware, and I had a great time at all of them.
    Best wishes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards